Transferring a website to another webhost

My webhost, Bargain Host is a complete con. Go check out IhateBargainHost and see the customer feedback about them.

I was thinking that I may be able to get permission from my company’s boss to use his server as a webhost, free. The company has quite a fast connection for one its size, 100Mbits, and seems to be mostly idle anyway.

First off, would a 100Mbit connection be fast enough to host a website? My website is not a public one, I just share its contents amongst friends & family, so I am not expecting heavy traffic.

Secondly, what work is involved in transferring my website? Since there has been a recent exodus of Bargainhost customers leaving because of lousy service (I mean REALLY lousy), the idiot, I[/I], has introduced a transfer fee from them of £25 to squeeze more money out of this failing scam of his. Can I just bypass him entirely and contact whoever regulates domain names and tell them to transfer it to a new IP of my choosing? I have the contents backed up in my HDD so I can start anew once I have a server up and running.

Thirdly, what kind of punitive/retaliatory action can I take against a webhosting company which fails to live up to providing service for the contracted time and changes the terms of the contract before its expiry date? I am not interested in consumer watchdogs. That will just hurt his number of customers (or should I say suckers). I am interested in legal action which will put the loser behind bars or give him a well-deserved fine. From what I read from other Bargainhost lamenting websites, the guy has been quite an active con artist, involved in other scams and it is time for justice to be brought down on him - hard and painfully. Wishing every misfortune known to man on his family and him is nice, but does not make me feel any better. :a :a :a :a :a :a

Fourth, can anyone recommend a good webhost situated in the UK, with reliable service and a proven track record, as well as some third party consumer associations which recommend it?

Depends on what kind of website you have…
If it uses something other than html files and perhaps php (databases for example), you might have a harder time backing that up.

However, if you can login to the server by using ftp, and all you have are stand alone files, you can easily download them to your pc and then upload them to your new provider.

As for a domain name transfer…if the domain is in your name (not in lease from the host), you can have your new host easily take care of this, probably without any charges (never had to pay for any of my domain names to be transfered…but that could also be because of friendly favors).

Secondly, what work is involved in transferring my website? Since there has been a recent exodus of Bargainhost customers leaving because of lousy service (I mean REALLY lousy), the idiot, James Innes, has introduced a transfer fee from them of £25 to squeeze more money out of this failing scam of his. Can I just bypass him entirely and contact whoever regulates domain names and tell them to transfer it to a new IP of my choosing? I have the contents backed up in my HDD so I can start anew once I have a server up and running.

with whom is your domain registerted (registrar) ?

most of them has a control panel sort of to change DNS…then u will receive a confirmation email from them for verification.

if they require a confirmation email form the admin of the hosting company also, then it will a little problem.

100 MBPS is fast enough. I hope the server is running 2 DNS server & Apache/IIS with virtual hosting, or u can use redirections.