Transferred DV to DVD, PC won't recognize

vbimport

I had the bright idea that rather than trying to capture 8 hours of tape for editing, I could transfer through DV from digicam to DVD-R recording, then just capture the bits & pieces I want for editing to my HD. Problem now is that my recorded DVD won’t play in either DVD drive on my computer. Can you tell me where I’ve gone wrong?
Thanks!
Denise

I believe that you have to use a program to capture digital video into either AVI, or MPEG mode in order to edit it and then it needs to be encoded before it can be burned to a dvd in a format that dvd players can read.

I’m not trying to edit from the video transferred to DVD, just trying to capture part of that video. Obviously, it’s not working…I tried a different brand of disk & also tried transferring component instead of DV, but while the transferred video plays fine on the DVD/VHS recorder, it doesn’t play at all on either DVD drive on my computer.

AHA! I think I have to finalize the disc on the recorder, then try playing it on the DVD drive in the computer!