Transfering DVDs to Laptop for streaming through XBox

vbimport

I’ve been streaming music through my XBox from my laptop and now I want to do the same with my DVD collection.

I’ve downloaded a 30 trial of DVD Fab Premium and have tried to put some DVDs onto my laptop, but if I to “DVD to Generic” the XBox can’t read it and if I do “DVD to XBox” the quailty isn’t great, pixelationand low sound quality.

I’ve got an Xbox 360 Elite and use the HDMI connection and a 42 inch Plasma screen for display, so a low quality source cripples the output.

HDD space is not an issue, 10GB or more for a film is fine. I want the maximum quality possible.

At the moment with DVD Fab I’ve set everything to the Maximum, 30fps, DVD9, AC-3/5.1, No cropping, 1024x432 resolution, pushed the bitrate right up to the max, made it do 2 passes for encoding and put the audio bitrate up to themax of 192 (but kept the volume at 100% as I didn’t want to raise it and cause distortion).

I get the feeling I’m using the wrong software for what I want to do. I want to do an exact backup of my DVD to my HDD and be able to view it with no loss of quality through my XBox.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

I do not have an Xbox, but from what I have read on the site, you should be using the Zune software and one of DVDFab’s H.264/AAC profiles. It also had this to say about the video bitrate:

Back off some of max settings and it may improve. Here is a linkto the site I was reading.

Hi SamiCox,

I have been backing up my DVD collection for the sole purpose of streaming through Xbox for the last few months. These are the settings that I use for DVD image and sound quality:

DVD to Mobile: Generic
Device: generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy
Encoding Method: 2nd Pass
Fixed Size: 4000mb
Frame Resolution: (Pick the highest)
Audio Format: Same as Source (this will retain the original DD 5.1 channel. I tried DTS but Xbox won’t output it.)

I have a 1 Terabyte harddrive and most of the output sizes are between 2gb and 4gb. I watched the movies on a 42’ plasma with DD surround sound and the quality is nearly identical to the DVD. There are some minor artifacts on dark scenes but don’t bother me that much as a trade off of having my whole collection streaming through Xbox is great. The only minor annoyance is that sometime in the middle of the movie, the scene will freeze and then continue after a few second. This only occurs once per movie. Sometimes it doesn’t occur at all. I watch the same file on computer and the freeze doesn’t occur. So, it must be the codec that Xbox use that causes the freeze. The problem is not due to my wireless setting either, because I copied the file in a flash drive and the same problem occurs at exactly the same scene.

Anyways, try the setting above as I have good result overall.

Screen shots from my Xbox:

[quote=SamiCox;2038245]I’ve been streaming music through my XBox from my laptop and now I want to do the same with my DVD collection.

I’ve downloaded a 30 trial of DVD Fab Premium and have tried to put some DVDs onto my laptop, but if I to “DVD to Generic” the XBox can’t read it and if I do “DVD to XBox” the quailty isn’t great, pixelationand low sound quality.

I’ve got an Xbox 360 Elite and use the HDMI connection and a 42 inch Plasma screen for display, so a low quality source cripples the output.

HDD space is not an issue, 10GB or more for a film is fine. I want the maximum quality possible.

At the moment with DVD Fab I’ve set everything to the Maximum, 30fps, DVD9, AC-3/5.1, No cropping, 1024x432 resolution, pushed the bitrate right up to the max, made it do 2 passes for encoding and put the audio bitrate up to themax of 192 (but kept the volume at 100% as I didn’t want to raise it and cause distortion).

I get the feeling I’m using the wrong software for what I want to do. I want to do an exact backup of my DVD to my HDD and be able to view it with no loss of quality through my XBox.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sam[/quote]

Another option woukd be the VOB Passthrough which changes nothing (If the XBox will play it?).

You could rename the output file as MPG also and give it a go.