Transfer rate too slow burning mp3s

I have a HP 8250i 4x4x32x that burns data cds absolutely fine. In Nero, while doing a data speed test I get speeds about 8000kb/s, which is well above the minimum.

But while burning audio cds, particularly from mp3s, the rate drops to just above 1000kb/s. I have DMA enabled, and have tested it using both Windows ME and XP.

Any reasons why that should happen?

My specs are:
AMD K6-2 450
192 mb ram
17 GB HDD

Well …

A k6-2 450 crunching MP3’s to wavs and then burning with x4 speed is as good as it gets i’m afraid !

Remember burning at x4 speed is : 600 Kb/s (x8 is 1200 KB/s) !!

That’s the first thing that came to my mind, until I converted the mp3s to wavs and tried burning the wavs - but I still get a slow transfer rate with wavs?!

Again … burning with x4 speed is 600 KB/s !

When you test it in Nero, the 8000 Kb/s is the maximum amount of data/Sec. Nero can expect from your particular setup !

no, I think it’s a Nero bug, i always made my audio cds with my plextor 12-4-32 scsi at 12x

But now I can’t make at 12x anymore: i get buffer underrun, I have to slow down to 10x.

bovos

Have you changed operating system … i.e upgraded to Win XP ?

Originally posted by Kosh
[B]bovos

Have you changed operating system … i.e upgraded to Win XP ? [/B]

no, I had the problem under Win98 re-installed it various time and the problem remained.

Now i have win ME and the problem it’s the same.

Note that i have no problem burning at 12x with programs, images, etc.

The problem occours when burnig an audio cd from mp3 files.

The burning starts ok but the buffer lower when nero pass from
an mp3 to the next, and song after song the buffer becames empty.

I repeat that I was able to burn from mp3 at 12x , I don’t think it’s a problem of the cpu (AMD K6-2 550mhz)

First of all, make sure that your drive is fully defragged.
Convert the mp3’s to wavs(optional)
Use ezcd creator …latest update for your burner/os
Nero… has been known to give these problems with mp3 converting/burning to cd.

I’m using Nero 5.5.6.4, and during speed measurement tests while burning data cds, I get an average of about 40x, which is good.
But when nero actually burns the cd, the speeds at which it reads comes down to 8x - that’s odd, because I don’t see how my burner can consume so much PC power to reduce the speed of reading data by so much.

Any comments?

Originally posted by anandkapur
[B]But when nero actually burns the cd, the speeds at which it reads comes down to 8x - that’s odd, because I don’t see how my burner can consume so much PC power to reduce the speed of reading data by so much.

Any comments? [/B]

You burn on-the-fly? When do you get this 8x speed? When making a image with Nero? And how could you get a 40x reading test? When your burner can only handle 32x? :confused:

Btw, stick to Nero, EZCD sucks.

While doing a speed check, Nero checks the transfer rate of the hard disk, if I’m not mistaken. That check comes out with flying colours… about 6000kb/s.

When Nero starts to actually burn the CD, it says that it can’t read more than 10x … about 1200kb/s. That doesn’t make any sense.

Originally posted by Editor
First of all, make sure that your drive is fully defragged.

yes it is!

Convert the mp3’s to wavs(optional)

too much time required for converting + burning at 12x , it’s faster to burn at 10x from mp3

:-/

Well guys I tried burning mp3’s at 16x speed, dumb me…
The problem is Nero does not say anything is wrong while its
converting and writing the files to the audio cd…

Of course after it was done nothing could read the disk, i think it burned it full of zero’s…

PIII 500Mhz 20GB Maxtor 5400rpm TDK 161040X

try checking cpu usage on normal program burns and compare it with the usage on audio burns. i have no idea if there will be a difference (i havent had ne problems) but 1.4 ghz should take care of cpu problems. Anyways, see what comes up. it should be suprising :).

I burn MP3’s to audio CD with me K6-2 500 without to much of a problem. Yes it takes longer but a full CD in 6 min instead of my usual 4 min full data CD burns is not as much of a performance loss as he is talking bout.

The speed that nero is reading is somehow wrong. If ya got a 4X burner that 600KBs. not 6000Kbs.

Its 150KBs X 4 which as stated multiple times by people is 600KBs.

I use a 24X10X40 that seems to cruze right along on my dinosaur server system. I am running a bit more memory though. Maybe thats where I gain my time. I have 384MB PC-100 and also im running windows 2000 Advanced Server.
I also use 7200 spin drives and my board has ATA/66 support.

While burning I have FTP(with as many as 5 clients)/mIRC/Norton/network transfers going.

I dont think its a processor limitation with that 4X burner. I know that Win2K AS takes 120MB to load in memory on my system while Win2KPro on my other takes 96MB.
You may want to check how much memory XP or ME take to load into memory. If its as much as Win2KAS it could be a memory shortage problem.
Figure the burner is going to want to reserve bout 16MB for it self or more for buffering. (In my case set to Nero or CloneCD max buffer size)
How much memory does that leave for application to run and MP3 to decode. If its got to through information around between RAM and Hard Drive its hurting.
Ram is extremly cheap. Buy some and see what results you get.
Im only 50Mhz over you and my K6-2 chip rocks. Im almost sure this is memory shortage related forcing windows to use virtual memory which is extremly slow.