Transfer OS to SSD

Anyone know of a way to fet my programs in to new install of W7 ? Tried mant ways that don’t work. I installed a fresh copy of W7 to the SSD and was told a long and drawn ways of getting an image of my old C into the SSD (the new C). Really frustrated at this point. EaseUS said it could copy the partition and install to the C drive-didn’t work.
Any help would be appreciated.

Which SSD? Some SSD-brands offer a free tool to copy the whole OS from HDD to SSD

Paragon Backup and Recovery Free Edition can backup the OS to external HDD and recovery it to SSD

EaseUs Todo Backup and XXClone can copy a partition from HDD to SSD

Don´t forget to change after this the Boot-drive in the Bios from HDD to SSD

WD Blue 3D NAND SATA 500GB.

I wasn’t able to do it from EaseUS ToDO. I’ll give Paragon a try. Thanks.

This is what I keep running into. Paragon needs a newer version of windows.
Can’t install DisplayFusion because I can’t install NetFramwork v4…etc. I followed several tutorials before the SSD arrived so I wouldn’t run into this but , well I* missed something somewhere. It just wouldn’t boot from the SSD. Believe me, I tried every which way. Thanks the input.

Try Macrium Reflect (free edition).

Been there-did that. LOL I wasn’t kidding about trying a lot of stuff. Thinking about installing W10 just to straighten this out. Not sure if I want w10 though. Right now I can’t get W7 to install the service pack 1. Last time I installe3d a SSD it was no problem, but I think it was a scratch install on a empty computer. It was awhile back.

Crap ! I thought Paragon was going to do it. It got about half way then aborted just saying it couldn’t wright to the file. C has plenty of room. 322GB free and I’m just 120GB to put in.

Hope the SSD aren´t defect. Can you check the SMART with Crystal Disk Info?

WD offers a light Acronis True Image Version, take a look here:

Had it. Had to re-download and install. Rates it Good-31C. Getting to the point where I’m have to re-download so much stuff I’m wasting my time looking for a way to copy original C drive.
The programs I have saved usually tell me I don’t have permission bla-bla…and changing it doesn’t help.

Did you create a bootable disc with Paragon?

No. Made one with EaseUS. That what I began with. I’ve backed up original C and have G (the HDD with original C).

The bootable disc is a repair disc.

I’ll try to make a long story short. When the tuts I was following left me with the OS on the SSD but couldn’t boot from it.No matter what I tried. I’m not blaming this guy, it just didn’t work out. At another site a very knowledgeable guy was guiding me and gave instructions to just do a fresh copy of the OS and how to copy the old partion to put it into the new drive. Didn’t work, unplugging drives, replugging, etc. bla,bla. So I’m at this point, had to DL 186 updates for W7 redoing register for Take Ownership…etc. Just to install Acronis (his choice)
I would install W10 just to straighten this out but from what I read you need Zintal Microsoft Companion to be able to keep your programs and settings. That’s out, it’s $169.

At this stage, I suggest installing Windows 10 and see how you get on. It will need to install a lot less updates than Windows 7, particularly as you mention your Windows 7 installation does not even have Service Pack 1.

You can download the latest Windows 10 edition from the following link. You will need a blank DVD or USB stick (4GB or larger capacity) handy. Once installed, it will just need to install a handful of updates. When it asks for the product key to activate, you can give it your Windows 7 key.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Once Windows 10 finishes its updates, just copy the files you need from the old HDD such as your documents, photos, music, etc. You’ll find these in the ‘Users’ folder on the old drive.

Thanks, Sean.

Did the updates yesterday, including SP1. Heard so many things bad about W10 I’ll have to calm down and take a peak. LOL

If you have more than one HDD in your system, it’s possible the Win7 boot sectors are not on the same HDD that you’re cloning, therefore when you clone the Win7 installation HDD to the SSD there is no boot sector copied over to the SSD.

If you’re going for a fresh install of Win10, then I suggest you unplug all the SATA cables from the HDD’s in your system, and only have the SSD connected while you install. Once you have Win10 booting from the SSD, you can connect the HDD’s.

Thanks, Dee.

If I install 10 will I be able to get the programs from the old drive installed onto 10 ?

You’re welcome.
You have to reinstall all the programs if you go the Windows 10 route, and it could be some very old ones will not be compatible with Windows 10.

I’ve just had a thought.
If you still have your Windows 7 clone on the SSD. you could try the following.

1, Remove the SATA cables from all the HDD’s leaving only the SATA cable connected to the SSD, and DVD.
2.,Boot from your original Windows 7 install DVD or USB media.
3, Once booted into the Windows 7 install procedure, select the following.
3b, Select ‘repair my system or PC’.
3c, Select the option to diagnose ‘Problems preventing Windows from starting’ and follow the prompts.

This might put an active MBR onto the SSD and allow it to boot Windows 7.

Not sure if it will help
But I had a couple SSD’s that would not boot in ACHI mode had to set the bios in Legacy Mode and they booted right up after cloning with Macrium Reflect and/or with Clonezilla didn’t mater .
Would not run in ACHI mode

Hi bean55, thanks for the input. Went through that already. All are Legacy. Just a little timid at this point to go to W10. I may try Dee’s list. It’s just that I’ve been undoing cables to the point I left the sides off my computer for 3 days. LOL
Trying to relax with a golf game right now. Re-installing that went smooth

If you copy a HDD-INstallation to SSD theres no change between AHCI and Lecacy. If the HDD boot via AHCI, the SSD will do the same

I tried Paragon 16 from Bootdisk and made a backup of a W7-installation from HDD and recover it on SSD, worked for me without problems