Transfer of my files

vbimport

I do a complete back up of my files every night on a HP pocket drive in my HP Vista 64 bit machine.
I want to purchase a new HP windows 7 64 bit machine, can I transfer all of my files from the pocket drive to my new HP Windows 7 64 bit machine?

Thanks for you time…

That depends on what exactly you want to accomplish.

You cannot simply transfer all your operating system files and installed program files to another system to make that system bootable with the same programs. The reasons are complicated, but if that’s what you want to do, we could explain what can and cannot be done.

If on the other hand you merely want to transfer documents, pictures, videos, and other content onto a new pc, then that can certainly be done.

Thanks for the quick reply. My problem is that my current HP with Vista has crashed (Blue Screen) so I would like to start over with a new HP Windows 7. I know I have to install my programs on the new machine and then was hoping that my back up file would load everything on the new HP Windows machine.

[QUOTE=pm8546;2538947]Thanks for the quick reply. My problem is that my current HP with Vista has crashed (Blue Screen) so I would like to start over with a new HP Windows 7. I know I have to install my programs on the new machine and then was hoping that my back up file would load everything on the new HP Windows machine.[/QUOTE]

As the MODs says just files and data copied back would be ok after you install the main programs but don’t copy back program file directory and expect it to work like as before. You have to reinstall all the application regardless of how small they are to work correctly on W7 and there are chances W7 won’t install some of them but being vista it should install correctly for those software if they were made to run on vista.

Any application program that is found in your directory under “program files” will typically not copy, because for windows to have placed it there it created a “Registry” file, without that registry file they aren’t “seen” by windows.

However any programs that are found outside of "program files"
Often WILL copy and function after doing so…

Like on my systems, I use a stand-alone mail program, Eudora, and I can actually carry that around (fully functional) on a thiumb drive and literally download my mail from any computer wiht a USB port and an internet connection and when I pull the thumb drive there is no trace left behnd.

that all being said, if you are patient you can usually grab the data files related to program settings from your old drive and transfer them, but it’s tedius work requiring more patience than I believe most people have, and generally your time is better spend resetting all those values using the programs.

As for the data itself those programs are there to manipulate (documents, pictures, audio & Video) that data should never be on your system drive in the first place.

Nor should you only have one copy.

“Backups” of your system save setup time
"backups"of the data itself protect the data.

AD