Transfer DVD to ASUS netbook

[qanda]This thread is about the Asus Eee PC 1000HE, Black. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello,

I recently purchased an ASUS eeePC 1000HE netbook for travel. I am going on a 5 hour flight from Ohio to California with my 2 year-old daughter. If you have ever been around a toddler for more than 10 minutes, you might be able to understand how terrified I am of this adventure.

My question is, how do I get her favorite Maisy and Elmo videos (that we own) onto the netbook? It does not have a DVD player. I can upload files via the web (eee storage) or with a flash drive.

I have used dvd decrypter and dvd shrink in the past (and have them on my desktop computer) to make backup copies of her videos, but I can’t seem to figure out how to play the videos from the harddrive. I also OWN Nero 9 (a legit, fully paid for copy; sorry, I’m trying to follow the rules).

Thanks for your help!
garciaam1

Use nero to make an .iso or image of the disc you wish to copy. “Burn” the iso to your flash drive for transfer to your netbook.

Use a virtual drive to mount the iso on your netbook and playback the movie using whatever player you choose.

Ok, after reading some different posts on mounting virtual drives, I think I’ve got it. I tried gizmo and daemon tools lite and I had better luck with daemon tools. Thanks for your help, brokenbuga.

You’ll still need a software player to actually play the disks. VLC media player can play ISO files directly, without the need to mount in a virtual drive. It will be able to play your dvd iso’s.

You can find it here: www.videolan.org

Great, thanks for the tip, Kerry56. When I used daemon tools, Windows Media Player automatically opened and played the video. Is there any advantage to using VLC over the virtual drive method?

No, not really. If you are having success with the other method, no need to change if you don’t want to.