Tracking software of an x-wife on her puter?

Tracking software of an x-wife on her puter ?

A friend of mind is going through a major, nasty divorce and since he left, she feels like he knows exactly what’s going with her life and wants to know if there is a program to run to check to see if there is any such thing on her computer.

She has changed her passwords several times weekly, but somehow he still knows what’s going on with her correspondence through her e-mail. He is a creep, a con-man, and he’s up to something. I just want to be able to help her. Thanks you!

If you would like to have a check of what’s running on her PC, run the script Silent Runners (link). It’s pretty good at finding everything that automatically runs when switching on the PC and useful for hunting unwanted applications such as malware.

However, the only sure way you will be able to eliminate any potential tracking is if you do a complete wipe and OS reinstallation on the computer. Then after reinstallation, have her change all her online passwords (e.g. e-mail, social, etc.)

For her router, I would also suggest doing a factory reset, as it’s quite easy to remotely monitor some routers with a simple configuration. Some routers can be reset to factory default by holding the ‘Reset’ button in with a pin for ~10 seconds. You’ll need to reconfigure it with the ISP details again.

[QUOTE=Seán;2562595]
However, the only sure way you will be able to eliminate any potential tracking is if you do a complete wipe and OS reinstallation on the computer. Then after reinstallation, have her change all her online passwords (e.g. e-mail, social, etc.)[/QUOTE]If the ex is really that evil, he could hijack one or even more accounts.
So, I’d like to modify your suggestion as follows in order to secure the online accounts as soon as possible:

[ol]
[li]Get a live Linux CD (Knoppix, Ubuntu, etc.)
[/li][li]Go online and set new, [B]secure[/B] passwords (for example: http://www.pctools.com/guides/password/) for all web services that are used
[/li][li]Reconfigure the router (which is normally web based, so this can be done during the Linux session also)
[/li][li]Backup important data
[/li][li]Wipe HDD
[/li][li]Reinstall Windows
[/li][/ol]It is important that the old Windows installation is not used after the passwords have been changed.

Michael

I’m no expert on PC security, but could it be as simple as she connects via WiFi and the WiFi connection is not secure?
If it isn’t he could sit in a car close by with a netbook or laptop and access her PC when its running, as he probably setup privileges to do so at some stage.

[QUOTE=rivrbyte;2562584]Tracking software of an x-wife on her puter ?[/quote] Quite possible

A friend of mind is going through a major, nasty divorce and since he left, she feels like he knows exactly what’s going with her life and wants to know if there is a program to run to check to see if there is any such thing on her computer.
So, how do we know this is actually true anyway?

If you are a good friend you would guard her. She can also use her computer to plant some ‘traps’. If she is meeting someone and some place at some time and told nobody about it, yet there her ex is, then you know for sure.

Oh, do your financial or confidential communication on another computer network please.

Consider the possibility that her mobile phone may also be hacked, or has tracking software installed. I know someone who is dealing with this problem right now…her ex was in a government security team and can access stuff that normal people can´t get…and was waiting at a rendezvous which she had arranged with a possible new boyfriend by mobile phone only a few hours before…

Get a new number and new phone!

It´s also easier than ever to plant bugs too…

:eek::eek::eek:

[QUOTE=deanimator;2563063]Consider the possibility that her mobile phone may also be hacked, or has tracking software installed. I know someone who is dealing with this problem right now…her ex was in a government security team and can access stuff that normal people can´t get…and was waiting at a rendezvous which she had arranged with a possible new boyfriend by mobile phone only a few hours before…[/quote] In this situation i would also make an entrapment and make sure i got everything on tape. People are entitled to privacy, especially after a breakup.

Could it be that her email settings have been configured to automatically ‘forward’ all emails to another email address (his)?

RM

[QUOTE=rivrbyte;2562584]Tracking software of an x-wife on her puter ?

She has changed her passwords several times weekly, but somehow he still knows what’s going on with her correspondence through her e-mail. He is a creep, a con-man, and he’s up to something. I just want to be able to help her. Thanks you![/QUOTE]

Wait let’s all backup here are we talking about a he or she? Also how come you didn’t report this to the law enforcement and waited til now to tell us this problem or tell them to tell their attorney about the problem?? Alot of things here don’t just add up or make common sense or factor correctly?? And as RichMan said it is very possible there is some kinda email forwarding that the ex set in the settings that allows he or she to get a copy of any emails sent from that account?? So that user need to go through all their settings and see what changes were made. Otherwise delete that email account and create a new one would also get rid of any kinda tracking or malicious activity. Also you never identify what kinda computer? Alot of electronics now day have a computer built inside of them now?? Also you don’t mention what kinda email account is in reference as well to be of much help. So if he or she is really that concerned they should contact their attorney and law enforcement as this is a law enforcement concern not something we here should even get involved with!!!