Tour de France 2009

Surely I’m not the only one excited for the TdF, which kicks off on Saturday? :bow::clap::cool:

Your pick?

WAR TEAM SAXO BANK! :iagree::bigsmile:

yep, Wonder how Lance will go in his come back

two ways, win or lose.

I imagine Lance Armstrong will at least do well.
He is apparently capable of winning it again.

[QUOTE=deanimator;2302477]I imagine Lance Armstrong will at least do well.
He is apparently capable of winning it again.[/QUOTE]

I’d love to see him do it again as he’s a tremendous athlete.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2302592]I’d love to see him do it again as he’s a tremendous athlete.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]I second that

End of day 1…Top 32 riders results:

That was an absolutely phenomenal performance by Cancellara.

Completely destroyed the best field in the world.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Its lame, even in HD…

It is hard to watch on TV; but so is Golf and Sail Boat racing; and Chess is in a class by itself.

[QUOTE=chef;2303170]Its lame, even in HD…[/QUOTE]

It’s the tactics that make it interesting though and you need to have a good overview before that becomes apparent.

Like most sports if you can identify with the key players it helps your enjoyment of it.

[B]Wombler[/B]

A few years ago, when it was broadcast live…I used to cut work and hangout in nearby bars to watch this race…for hours. The beer was good too :smiley:

Stage 2 results:
Cancellara still holding the Yellow shirt.
Armstrong in 5th.

:clap:

The mountains are when life gets interesting.

I wonder what instructions Armstrong’s team are under?

They have three riders that would be capable of leading the team and apparently there have been a lot of internal wrangles.

[B]Wombler[/B]

End of Stage 3

A fast 195 km with an exciting finish. The sprint was well managed by Cavendish again, but the critics may have to suck on their poison pens now…Armstrong called it well, and hung on to the leaders to score 3rd overall :clap:

But can Armstrong win this race for the eighth time, after four years away from professional cycling and at the age of 37?
While he stayed away from the big European tours, he certainly stayed busy with other races…but they don´t make headlines like the TdF!

No cyclist has ever won the Tour at his age: The oldest winner was Firmin Lambot of Belgium, at 36 years and four months, in 1922. But Armstrong, who’ll be 38 in two about months, is not your typical cyclist. And no one can remain indifferent to him, some competitors say.

“It [an Armstrong victory] looks difficult to me, but it is not out of question,” five-time Tour de France winner Eddie Merckx of Belgium told France 2 TV Sunday.

Raymond Poulidor of France, a three-time, second-place finisher, said, “You know, Armstrong is not made like the others. He is an unusual man. And, with an unusual man, we don’t know.”

Recently retired French cyclist Laurent Jalabert said, “I don’t believe he can [win the Tour again]. But I know he is a man who controls well tactics, the race and who’s got nothing to lose and who can be dangerous at any time.”

[QUOTE=deanimator;2303969]A fast 195 km with an exciting finish. The sprint was well managed by Cavendish again, but the critics may have to suck on their poison pens now…Armstrong called it well, and hung on to the leaders to score 3rd overall :clap:
[/QUOTE]

He’s a master of the tactics and there are very very few occasions when Armstrong gets it wrong.

That’s one of the interesting things for me, to see how he plays it.

There have been some fantastic battles on the mountain climbs in the past where he tests the other riders on multiple occasions before finally pulling away at the right moment.

That’s the sort of stuff I’m looking forward to seeing again this year and hopefully he’s up for it.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Two days later, and still no big changes…but nail-biting finishes again

Today´s results…1st 10 over the line

* 1.HUSHOVD T CTT 4h 21' 33"
* 2.FREIRE O. RAB 00' 00"
* 3.ROJAS J. GCE 00' 00"
* 4.CIOLEK G. MRM 00' 00"
* 5.PELLIZOTTI F. LIQ 00' 00"
* 6.POZZATO F. KAT 00' 00"
* 7.BALLAN A. LAM 00' 00"
* 8.NOCENTINI R. ALM 00' 00"
* 9.EVANS C. SIL 00' 00"
* 10.CANCELLARA F. SAX 00' 00"

So, Cancellara keeps the Yellow, and Cavendish keeps the Green

Current standings:

Yeah a great finish.

I felt sorry for David Millar though as that was a fantastic ride by him.

He said the long wide straights coming into Barcelona did him out of it as it gave the peloton too much scope to catch up with him.

Just unlucky though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Huge ride today…224km, and it was the first real mountain stage…time to start sorting the men from the boys…

and so it unfolded…with Contador showing his class and squeezing past Armstrong. Pundits and blood-thirsty media crying it´s over for Armstrong…that the 11 year younger man is the better rider…

We will see…there´s a lot of racing, hills, and strategies to deal with yet :iagree:

Placings:

Just another day´s racing. A few dudes make a run for it…but the peloton doesn´t let them get too far ahead.
Result: no changes at the top of the overall list, with Contador and Armstrong finishing today´s stage together…so still only 8 seconds between the first three riders after 1216km racing!

I rode with an Italian dude today…he was fast and strong…and FIFTY-EIGHT :eek: Then he told me he was in the Italian National Team 30 years ago…and still trains 4 or 5 times a week…up to 250km in a day.
I nearly puked trying to keep up with him :bow:

Anyway…no big changes today. Contador and Armstrong just maintaining their positions…no doubt watching and waiting for a chance or a sign of weakness in the other…