Touchtone, A&E, BBC America encryptions

vbimport

Hi. I have used DVDFab Gold 4, and tried the new version 5 on movies by Touchtone, Disney (same company), and series by A&E and BBC America. For each of these, DVDFab seems unable to decrypt. It says that it’s decrypted, but then either playback is gappy, or there are flashes of colour.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered decryption problems with These these companies. And of course, if this a problem with more than a few users, if Fengtao has tried to fix this.

Anyone else experiencing problems with decrypting DVD’s by these companies?

If so, can Fengtao help?

Cheers.

i have not had problem decrypting any movie. including several disney movies and the Planet Earth dvd collection by BBC. :slight_smile:

please enable pathplayer and select 8x for burn speed.
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsPathPlayer
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsWrite

thanks

troy

I always have pathplayer enabled, and use the lower speeds. Are you suggesting 8x because it is a slower speed?

Thanks.

[QUOTE=rme;2067538]I always have pathplayer enabled, and use the lower speeds. Are you suggesting 8x because it is a slower speed?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

He’s presumably trying to rule out any media related problems as you haven’t clarified whether you’re playing back from DVD media or hard disk.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2067543]He’s presumably trying to rule out any media related problems as you haven’t clarified whether you’re playing back from DVD media or hard disk.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

yes i was thinking its a burn problem. or a media problem. :slight_smile: it the trouble is a burn problem then dvdfab is decrypting the dvd just fine.

i was also thinking you are using single layer media. if using dual layer please select 2.4x or 4x.

of course there can be exceptions to burn speeds. this is just something that you will have to find out for yourself with what works for your media and drive.

fengtao is quick to update for copy protections. :clap: :bow:

I encounter the problem while both watching from the hard-drive, and if I burn it onto a DVD and watch it on a DVD player. I will encounter the same problem in the same place if I try to run it through DVDFab several times.

If playing the original on my (new, seemingly extra-sensitive) DVD player (not the computer, but the DVD player I’ve got hooked up to the TV), the movies/series episode will freeze, skip, or play gappy, in the areas that give me trouble while decrypting. The source discs are fine, in some cases they are brand new. It’s just these particular companies that give me trouble, no others.

I’ve been experiencing this problem with Touchtone (etc) from the first time I used DVDFab, last year. I have heard of some movie companies putting encryptions on their DVD’s that make them hard to play on either regular DVD players, or a computer DVD drive. I don’t know if Touchtone (etc) was one of them, but this is how it seems when I’m trying to back up, or even simply [I]play[/I] a problem disc.

I don’t think it could be a media problem as I always play back the Fabbed" movie on the computer before Shrinking it and burning it to disc.

Cheers.

seems like a badly pressed or scratched dvd to me.

[B]can you please post the info screen?[/B]
http://dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsInfo

edit// i guess touchstone needs to do some more quality control before sending disc your way.

I think the worst are Columbia Pictures & universal…They will try their best to encrypt. But DVDFAB has always maintain an upper hand on the encryption.

I have experience no problems whatsoever, even with DVDILDE (older program by Fengtao).

Chow

[QUOTE=troy512;2067571]seems like a badly pressed or scratched dvd to me.

[B]can you please post the info screen?[/B]
http://dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsInfo

[/QUOTE]

I apologise, but I’m afraid that I don’t have that available now (and not planning to do another backup again soon), but from what I remember, all info screens for the problem discs were typical, showing various types of protection removed, others not found, in some cases problem cells removed. No alerts of any kind.
I always check the info page before proceeding with the processing.

The problems in playback are apparent during review from the hard-drive, before burning onto a DVDR.

Thanks.

okay no big deal. :disagree:

i was really just wanting to see the name of the film anyway. :slight_smile:

Not able to decrypt at all, again…:sad:
I have tried to Fab “Battlestar Galactica- Season One”, today, and got a problem that often happens. It starts to process the movie/series quite nicely, then suddenly hits a rough patch and crawls along at a tenth of a percentage every hour or so. If I let it go for the 20 or so hours that it takes to finish, the result is very choppy and not at all watchable. The last time it was this bad was disc two of A&E’s “Sapphire and Steel” TV series on disc, where there were periods of green flashes. DVDFab did it’s best to bypass these, but I still got green flashes interspersing choppy video.
Today I tried to get past this rough patch by going into the “Read” option of the Common Settings, and increasing the number of retry times to 5, and the increased the number of sectors to skip after a reading error to 16. I’ve had them both up higher in the past, to try to get a better result, but it changes nothing.

I’m attaching the info page where it says that it’s removed everything, as well as the logs for two of the times I closed DVDFab down and reattempted the decryption. I’m hoping that there is some clue in there that will tell someone in the know, why I’m having these problems with episodic discs, and with Touchtone, and BBC America. Not sure why the second file was named “Crash”, as it didn’t.

[I]Help?[/I]

Dvdfab_burn_vso
5/30/2008 7:26:31 PM info ******************** Report session closed *********************
5/30/2008 2:56:29 PM info Current Drive selected : 1:0:0 - MATSHITA UJDA745 DVD/CDRW 1.03 [D] (Ide)
5/30/2008 2:56:29 PM info Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37, Internal revision 37 - Async. Access mode
5/30/2008 2:56:29 PM info User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
5/30/2008 2:56:29 PM info System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
5/30/2008 2:56:29 PM info DLL Version 2.1.7.338
5/30/2008 2:56:29 PM info DLL C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\vso_hwe.dll
5/30/2008 2:56:29 PM info Version 5, 0, 2, 0
5/30/2008 2:56:29 PM info ExeName : "C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\DVDFab.exe"
5/30/2008 2:56:29 PM info OS : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
5/30/2008 2:56:29 PM info ******************** Report session started ********************

Dvdfab_burn_vso_crash
5/30/2008 7:26:38 PM info Current Drive selected : 1:0:0 - MATSHITA UJDA745 DVD/CDRW 1.03 [D] (Ide)
5/30/2008 7:26:38 PM info Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37, Internal revision 37 - Async. Access mode
5/30/2008 7:26:38 PM info User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
5/30/2008 7:26:38 PM info System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
5/30/2008 7:26:38 PM info DLL Version 2.1.7.338
5/30/2008 7:26:38 PM info DLL C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\vso_hwe.dll
5/30/2008 7:26:38 PM info Version 5, 0, 2, 0
5/30/2008 7:26:38 PM info ExeName : "C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\DVDFab.exe"
5/30/2008 7:26:38 PM info OS : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
5/30/2008 7:26:38 PM info ******************** Report session started ********************

Here’s the attachment Windows file of the info screen…it got detached somehow, before.

DVDFab Battlestar.doc (92 KB)

I might be part of your “can not do system restore” problem, would reinstall or repair your OS.

Today I tried to get past this rough patch by going into the “Read” option of the Common Settings, and increasing the number of retry times to 5, and the increased the number of sectors to skip after a reading error to 16. I’ve had them both up higher in the past, to try to get a better result, but it changes nothing.
If the playback is “jumping” and show problems like mosaic patterns, the reason is that not all sectors on the DVD are read. When you then play back the DVD from your hard disk, the player can’t play the information that was never read in the first place. In those “pauses” you will see playback problems.

It might be that your DVD reader is the real problem and not the discs.

You have version 1.03 installed as firmware. There should be a version 1.06

This one is if the DVD reader is in an IBM ThinkPad computer. If your computer is not this model, check on your computer manufactures web page to find a later firmware version than the one you currently have installed.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom/browse_thread/thread/a34774a86db37405

I didn’t see the “cannot do system restore” issue that Jethro called attention to…but I would certainly track this down as Jethro suggested.
Sorry to say, but Matshita drives are horrible…very problematic…
sorry, don’t shoot the messenger.
Gummi is spot on…this sounds like a ODD problem, although the underlying OS issue needs to be addressed.

In the interim, you could try the following, although I don’t have much faith that it’ll help.

[B]Common Settings > Read [/B]> tick [B]Ignore all reading errors automatically[/B]
and
untick [B]Enable read-ahead cache[/B]

maineman, he posted another thread about his not being able to use his system restore.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/system-restore-wont-work-245899/

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2068187]maineman, he posted another thread about his not being able to use his system restore.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/system-restore-wont-work-245899/[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that Jethro. I thought about doing a search, but I gotta hit the sack.
Thanks again…:flower:

If the playback is “jumping” and show problems like mosaic patterns, the reason is that not all sectors on the DVD are read. When you then play back the DVD from your hard disk, the player can’t play the information that was never read in the first place. In those “pauses” you will see playback problems.

It might be that your DVD reader is the real problem and not the discs.

You have version 1.03 installed as firmware. There should be a version 1.06

This one is if the DVD reader is in an IBM ThinkPad computer. If your computer is not this model, check on your computer manufactures web page to find a later firmware version than the one you currently have installed.

The description of the playback problems are spot on. I’m going to assume, then, that the drive isn’t reading efficiently.

I will try to do the update on the Lenovo site. I hope this helps. Fingers crossed.

By the way, I really appreciate how you guys go all out to help. :flower:

please get a new drive. :slight_smile:

an external drive. not slimtype. :smiley:

this is your problem. MATSHITA UJDA745. :Z

please do a web search and see results. :bigsmile:

…about the jumpy video…I always know [I]where[/I] in the copied DVD there are going to be problems because while I was viewing the original on the TV, that’s where the DVD player had problems with freezing, etc.

It is the encryptions playing havoc, but could it be that they’re being [I]allowed [/I]to play havoc because of the Matshita UJDA745 drive?

Thanks.