Touch to become more important in Windows Blue

vbimport

Touch to become more important in Windows Blue.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/03/jA1OK1.jpg[/newsimage]A video has been leaked in which Microsoft states that touch will become more important in Windows Blue, the expected large update to Window 8. 

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/touch-to-become-more-important-in-windows-blue-66538/](http://www.myce.com/news/touch-to-become-more-important-in-windows-blue-66538/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I don’t see where a touch screen is ever going to be all that useful for a desktop or laptop computer. A mouse and/or touchpad is far more efficient for interfacing with a computer. Especially for long periods of time. MS seems to have some kind of infatuation with touch screens and , IMO, I think they are a passing fad for desktop and traditional laptop computers.

[QUOTE=UTR;2681750]I don’t see where a touch screen is ever going to be all that useful for a desktop or laptop computer. A mouse and/or touchpad is far more efficient for interfacing with a computer. Especially for long periods of time. MS seems to have some kind of infatuation with touch screens and , IMO, I think they are a passing fad for desktop and traditional laptop computers.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention all the apps for the Touch is written on a Desktop and then transferred to touch. How ironic they want to eliminate desktop but the very software is written on desktop to use on Touch. That is where they are out of touch with everything is written on programs that run on laptop or desktop and then transferred to mobile devices. How people can’t begin to see that the desktop and laptop won’t go away is beyond comprehension.

I agree. On my home PC I don’t want to be leaning over to touch my computer screen to surf around the net. Or use it for typing when I’m ranting online :slight_smile:

Touchscreen makes sense for phones and tablets.

I consider tablets/phones to augment the internet experience. My PC/Laptop are my preferred methods, but sometimes you need the portability.

I can’t see myself not wanting a PC at home. I may not need to upgrade it as often, but its much nicer surfing the internet on a 24" screen with a mouse than on a tablet/phone.

I have no idea why Microsoft is being so stubborn. An early test release of Windows 8 made Metro optional and retained the start menu. Microsoft could of won by supporting both input formats. Then they created a disdain for the classic PC setup and tried to force users to use a touch interface with their mice/keyboard setups.

I think Microsoft is losing it. Both the direction of windows and the overbearing copy protection on the new Xbox seem like really bad movies.

Again Microsoft thinks they know whats best for us._______WRONG!!!

[QUOTE=UTR;2681750]I don’t see where a touch screen is ever going to be all that useful for a desktop or laptop computer. A mouse and/or touchpad is far more efficient for interfacing with a computer. Especially for long periods of time. MS seems to have some kind of infatuation with touch screens and , IMO, I think they are a passing fad for desktop and traditional laptop computers.[/QUOTE]

Didn’t you know that according to Billie and Co. we’re all supposed to have glass top desks with 32" touch screens embedded in them. A nice thought IF you happen to be a grossly overpaid corporate exec whose desk has never seen even one shred of paper. In the “real world” however that isn’t going to happen. Not enough real estate on my desk for even a tablet, the 1988 IBM PS2 keyboard and a cordless mouse are reserved for this spot.

One of the biggest reasons I don’t want a touchscreen on a desktop or laptop is I can’t stand finger smears on the screen. I would be like a person with OCD keeping the screen clean.

Not to mention the price of moderate sized touch monitors…

adding touch screen to any monitor essentially doubles the price

I bought a bigger monitor so I could sit back away from it… a distance longer than my 38" arms… in my normal sitting position with my wireless keyboard in my lap my fingers are a good foot from the monitor I see no reason why I should sit hunched over making greasy finger prints on it while I’m doing photo editing.

AD

Obviously, microsoft has done extensive marketting research and concluded that what people really use their computer for is:

• Applying greasy finger prints on the screen.
  • Viewing Greasy finger prints on the screen.
  • Polishing greasy finger prints off the screen.

A microsoft spokesman commented:
“We’ve conducted extensive surveys and discovered that 100% of windows users (along with 90% of linux and 120% of mac users) use their PC’s to view greasy fingerprints on their computers. In windows 8, we’ve been working hard to implement features to windows 8 that will greatly streamline the application of greasy fingerprint markings on users screens with a corresponding increase in frequency of the greasy finger print polishing, which is seen as a value added feature to the windows product lineup”.

I do a lot of fine graphics editing. If I catch someone touching a screen, it drives me crazy because, if they come to mine, they’re wiping fingers across mine, too. Is that a smudge or is it a face’s blemish? I have to type too much and no touchscreen is going to allow that. I remember resisting a mouse for a long time simply because I needed typing-speed and accuracy, and then I switched into graphics editing.

Touch screen technology is not new.
Around 1996, working in an industrial setting, we got our first computer controlled machine with a touch screen.
Interestingly, years later the touch screen went out so had to go back to using mouse only…which I was happy about since I didn’t like the touch screen anyway.

It was a few years before that when computer screen sized devices got their start.

So this is not new but some like to “touch”…they think it is something like magic I suppose.

I bet screen manufacturers will like this since they will sell many replacements on down the line.

Touch screens are fine for small devices since they generally have a short life-scan anyway.

I had an XP tablet back in 2002 or 2003, and it was OK, but the quality of sensitivity changed over a few months. When I look at cafe-registers with touch-screens (since mid-90s, I think), those users say they must hold their taps on some icons, not on others, some require a smear, some only react to ballpoint pen taps. I think touch-screen technology still has some usage-and-lifespan issues.

It’s going to be exciting to see all of us forced into them. I may start a personal relationship with a glass-replacer because a lot of my windows might be smashed as I throw touch-screens thru them.

Anyone remember those first mice with the roller ball that seemed to go on and on? They had all the sensitivity of a BB in a boxcar, sometimes.

[QUOTE=ClemInKC;2682052]I had an XP tablet back in 2002 or 2003, and it was OK, but the quality of sensitivity changed over a few months. When I look at cafe-registers with touch-screens (since mid-90s, I think), those users say they must hold their taps on some icons, not on others, some require a smear, some only react to ballpoint pen taps. I think touch-screen technology still has some usage-and-lifespan issues.

It’s going to be exciting to see all of us forced into them. I may start a personal relationship with a glass-replacer because a lot of my windows might be smashed as I throw touch-screens thru them.

Anyone remember those first mice with the roller ball that seemed to go on and on? They had all the sensitivity of a BB in a boxcar, sometimes.[/QUOTE]

I’m afraid to run my lawnmower in one part of my yard for fear of finding
the old mice that I flung out into the yard from my patio…

several years ago I held a “pogram” on mice that had ANY moving parts
other than the buttons and scroll wheels.

Personally I believe there are two kinds of mice, those made by Logitech (opticals) and those I put in the trash without a second thought

The one exception to this is my ONE, very old, Kensington trackball that still sits in it’s sealed package

On touch screens I still have two working Tablets, Fujitsu’s but they are stylus rather than “touch”, I’m not sure I’d want a true “touch” because it lacks precision.

Touch screen technology sounds like something CNN needs____ not a home computer