Total newbie with troubles burning dvds

Hi. Forgive my lack of knowledge. I used WinAvi converter to make an .avi file into dvd(I think .vob?). I burned it to a DVD-R disc and it works on my computer but when I play it on my tv the picture has a bunch of lines in it. Any solutions/tips/help/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Shel

“bunch of lines” means what exactly??

When it plays, it is jumpy and there are vertical lines running across the images.

We need to know which burner and discs you’re using, southerncutie. Please post a screenshot like the one below (with the disc in the drive) (click on CDSpeed if you don’t have it yet).

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD-R
Book Type : DVD-R
Manufacturer: : Sony
MID : SONY16D1
Write speeds: : 2 X - 4 X - 6 X - 8 X - 12 X - 16 X - 18 X - 20 X
Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
: 4489 MB
: 4707319808 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Usage : General
Copyright protection : n/a
Recorder information : recorded with LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P
Disc Status : Closed
Raw Data
Pre-recorded Information in Lead-in (0Eh)
0000 - 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 84 0E 10 87 88 80 00 - .@…R…
0010 - 03 53 4F 4E 59 31 36 00 04 44 31 00 00 00 00 00 - .SONY16…D1…
0020 - 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 F0 FF FF FF 68 2F 19 00 - …h/…
0030 - FC 10 12 00 5D 8E 41 77 04 00 00 00 F4 10 12 00 - …].Aw…
0040 - 00 C0 41 7E 00 80 00 00 A8 F2 42 7E 7D 3F 41 77 - …A~…B~}?Aw
0050 - 00 80 00 00 58 08 04 00 FC FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 - …X…
0060 - 01 00 00 00 68 2F 19 00 48 11 12 00 00 00 16 00 - …h/…H…

OK, you have a Lite-On burner. In that case you can do a Disc Quality scan (see example below) (set scan speed to 8X).

I’m almost sure that this issue has nothing to do with the burning/media stage , but more with the de-interlacing performance of the standalone player vs. the DVD player software on the PC.

Converting from AVI to DVD (VOB) is not always very well handled by apps. Add to this that de-interlacing poorly authorized VOB is frankly poor in many standalone players, and you can have your explanation.

I suggest you try reading this disc in a friend’s standalone player, and see if the video seems normal. What’s you exact brand and model of standalone player? :slight_smile:

It’s a Sanyo DWM-400. A cheap thing I picked up at WalMart :expressionless:

Well, this confirms the disc was burned correctly, so it must be something else that’s wrong. I’m not familiar with WinAvi and its settings unfortunately. Which software was used for burning? Does the disc show an AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS folder when you open it in Explorer?

I have tried it twice, one with Nero and once with AVS4YOU, both giving same results on my tv.

Yes, it sounds like something in the conversion-process that your player doesn’t like. Someone with WinAvi experience might be able to help. Meanwhile you can try some other conversion tools, there’s tons of threads here and on videohelp.com about avi to dvd. Sorry I can’t give you a quick solution…

Ok, thank you. Should I try converting it to something besides a .vob then maybe?

No, you must convert to DVD-compliant files (which are .vob, .ifo and .bup). On the disc you burn these should be located in the VIDEO_TS folder. Usually there is also an empty AUDIO_TS folder on the DVD for compliance.

Ok, that I have done, I thought maybe since my standalone player won’t play them they needed to be something else. I know nothing, sorry, but thank you for your help :slight_smile:

Also, I found this about my DVD player. Not sure what it means but maybe someone will know?

Features include:
Cinema Progressive Scan Video out
TVGuardian
DVD Video/CD/DVD-R/CD-R/CD-RW compatible
MP3/JPEG/Kodak Picture CD playback
Digital audio output
Screen saver
Auto power off
Six-language on-screen display

The contents of a video DVD and of the VIDEO_TS folder look like this :slight_smile:

Yep, mine looks like that. It just frustrates me that I can watch them on my computer and not my standalone dvd player. I haven’t slept all night trying to figure it out, hehe :expressionless:

There’s ConvertXtoDVD (commercial, the trial leaves a watermark) or avi2dvd (freeware) you can try. And if you have the full Nero suite with NeroVision Express, that should work too. Again, little or no experience with these myself (and your PC will be busy for a while…) :slight_smile: Or maybe search for a good WinAvi tutorial and go over all the settings again…

I have Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced, the full version. Unfortunately, I work from home on my computer so I will have to try it after I put in some worktime. I will be sure to keep you updated and thanks again for all your help.