Toshiba tsst ts-H652D Gateway? firmware

vbimport

Good morning,

I have a Gateway desktop that has the Toshiba version of the ts-h652D drive. I’ve had some trouble with a few disk and I emailed Nero and Nero indicated the “A” version of my firmware is old and I need to update it. I’m okay with updating firmware and so went looking for the firmware.

Can’t find it. I contacted Samsung but their firmware won’t install, Gateway indicated the drive is set to be a Toshiba, and without being 100% sure I did not want to start randomly doing -nocheck and hose my drive. Anyway Samsung said contact Gateway. Gateway is responsible for the OEM drive.

I just heard back from Gateway and they said to contact Samsung/Toshiba! So round and round we go.

I would be glad to cross flash this thing as well. But again not 100% sure which firmware I should use and without step by step instructions, I am hesitant to do anything that will brick the dvd writer.

I have looked and looked and find nothing. I’m not asking for help because I haven’t taken the time to try and find out on my own. I simply can’t find anything.

Help???

Hi,[quote=jsmiddleton4;2124505]I have a Gateway desktop that has the Toshiba version of the ts-h652D drive.[/quote]which is an OEM version of the Samsung SH-S182D.

I’ve had some trouble with a few disk and I emailed Nero and Nero indicated the “A” version of my firmware is old and I need to update it.
Ah yes. I doubt, they have any idea about the thousand OEM firmwares that exist for that piece of hardware :bigsmile:

I’m okay with updating firmware and so went looking for the firmware.
Official firmware for your drive is only available from Gateway support.

Anyway Samsung said contact Gateway. Gateway is responsible for the OEM drive.
That is absolutely correct.

I just heard back from Gateway and they said to contact Samsung/Toshiba! So round and round we go.
Nice customer service. :a

I would be glad to cross flash this thing as well. But again not 100% sure which firmware I should use and without step by step instructions, I am hesitant to do anything that will brick the dvd writer.
The FAQ should contain all information you need in order to crossflash the drive. There is also a section dedicated to the DVD-R Lead-In issue the 182 series suffers from, which has some recommendations for firmwares.

Michael

Thanks Mike. Being its a fairly new PC I don’t want to risk voiding the warranty quite yet. After making it clear to Gateway what I’m asking for I just received an email to delete my upper/lower filters in the registry! I just replied to them that this is not that kind of a problem. They are releasing drives with the original firmware and the drive’s firmware needs to be updated. In fact the update is “out there” for the Samsung version of the drive. It just needs to be written so it can be installed on the Gateway OEM drive so that warranty’s aren’t voided.

We’ll see.

In the past when doing my own cross flashing on non-oem drives I used a firmware that was already “fixed” so it would cross flash and the appropriate flash utility. I’ll look more closely again but I didn’t see that kind of information. What I’ve seen so far is a little more technical than I’m used to. Not a problem just didn’t seem as simple as I remembered and I really don’t want to brick the drive and void any warranty.

Thanks again
Jim

Edit: So it is the Samsung sh-S182D. Maybe I should just try its firmware with the -nocheck option?

I apologize but which FAQ? I’m looking and I am getting overwhelmed rapidly with FAQ’s and guides.

Well one more round of emails from Gateway. This time they walked me through how to trouble shoot Windows operating system automatic update issues on the Windows update site. No I’m not kidding. I find it hard to believe that they are even reading what my complaint actually is.

Here is a part of the email:

To have Windows install important updates as they become available, turn on automatic updating. Important updates provide significant benefits, such as improved security and reliability. You can also set Windows to automatically install recommended updates, which can address non-critical problems and help enhance your computing experience. Optional updates are not downloaded or installed automatically.

Turn automatic updating on or off http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US Help/61fb9ef2-03c9-4a03-9b78-95bed6e508331033.mspx

Furthermore, to install optional updates, you need to review and then select them from the list of updates that Windows finds for your computer. Optional updates are not installed automatically.

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button, clicking All
    Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while
    Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.

3. If any updates are found, click View available updates.

4. Select the optional updates that you want, and then click Install.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

I highly recommend you also to use the Gateway Update. It is an
automated driver update utility that can scan your computer and find the latest drivers for you automatically.

Gateway Update

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?ref=nofind&ct=kw&param=gtwupd.exe

I appreciate the time you took to write us and I hope that the
information I have provided above is helpful in resolving your issues.

Please reply to this message if you require further assistance with this issue. If your reply is received while I am out of the office, to ensure a speedy resolution, your issue will be handled by one of my colleagues.

Hi,[quote=jsmiddleton4;2124530]Thanks Mike. Being its a fairly new PC I don’t want to risk voiding the warranty quite yet. [/quote]Still under warranty?

They are releasing drives with the original firmware and the drive’s firmware needs to be updated. In fact the update is “out there” for the Samsung version of the drive. It just needs to be written so it can be installed on the Gateway OEM drive so that warranty’s aren’t voided.
The 18x drives are EOL (End Of Life). Also, providing newer firmware costs money, and why spend some if the computer is already sold.

In the past when doing my own cross flashing on non-oem drives I used a firmware that was already “fixed” so it would cross flash and the appropriate flash utility.
For Samsung drives, you use the original official flasher and original, unmodified firmware (unless you want to modify it). The -NOCHECK option does the trick.
This should be safer than firmwares and flashers that were modified by others. Theoretically at least.

Edit: So it is the Samsung sh-S182D. Maybe I should just try its firmware with the -nocheck option?
Should work. But there are better firmwares :wink: I am using Philips SPD2412T firmware with my retail 182D. TS-H652D KC03 firmware from Samsung Korea is another good option.

I apologize but which FAQ? I’m looking and I am getting overwhelmed rapidly with FAQ’s and guides.
Look into my signature :wink:

Michael

Edit: gateway’s firmware support seems to be really poor. The only ODD firmware I could locate at their support website is for an ancient TS-H552…
So just forget any hope of getting firmware updates for your drive.

Thanks Michael. I am in the middle of some serious stuff regarding some other matters as well and I’m not up to my usual paying attention to details regarding things like dvd writers. I’ll take look at your FAQ. I also have a Samsung SH-182M and may look at what is the most effective firmware for it.

It may come down to me asking for step by step regarding burning the Phillips firmware.

[QUOTE=jsmiddleton4;2124785]Thanks Michael. I am in the middle of some serious stuff regarding some other matters as well and I’m not up to my usual paying attention to details regarding things like dvd writers. I’ll take look at your FAQ. I also have a Samsung SH-182M and may look at what is the most effective firmware for it.

It may come down to me asking for step by step regarding burning the Phillips firmware.[/QUOTE]

Definitely read the FAQ. It explains the major bug that is present in standard SH-182D and SH-182M firmware, and how to fix it.

Basically, it comes down to this:

1. If you own a Samsung SH-182D or SH-182M, you should cross-flash them into a Toshiba TS-H652D or TS-H652M, using firmware revision KC03 from the Toshiba Korea web site. There is a separate version of that firmware for the D and M models, so be sure to pick the right one. The FAQ explains the rest.

2. If you already own a Toshiba TS-H652D or TS-H652M, you should upgrade those drives with the previously mentioned KC03 firmware from the Toshiba Korea web site. Once again, the FAQ explains the rest, so read it.

3. As an alternative option, both the Samsung SH-182D/M and the Toshiba TS-H652D/M drives can be cross-flashed into a Philips SPD2412T (for the non-lightscribe D models) or a Philips SPD6002T (for the lightscribe M models). The FAQ outlines what firmware versions you have to cross-flash to.

4. The general consensus is that the Philips firmware is better than the Toshiba firmware, because not only does it fix the DVD-R lead-in bug (mentioned in the FAQ and other threads), but it also has a slightly higher burst rate, allowing for consistent high-speed burning, even in an enclosure.

Thanks. I just flashed my Samsung 182M in an older system to the Phillips Lightscribe firmware 1.3. As soon as I can I will address teh oem gateway drive.