Toshiba to drop HD DVD

vbimport

Full story here.

The format war has turned into a format death watch.

Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources say, after a rash of retail defections that followed Warner Home Video’s announcement in early January that it would support only the rival Blu-ray Disc format after May.

Officially, no decision has been made, insists Jodi Sally, vp of marketing for Toshiba America Consumer Products. “Based on its technological advancements, we continue to believe HD DVD is the best format for consumers, given the value and consistent quality inherent in our player offerings,” she said.

But she hinted that something’s in the air. “Given the market developments in the past month,” she said, “Toshiba will continue to study the market impact and the value proposition for consumers, particularly in light of our recent price reductions on all HD DVD players.”

The Hollywood Reporter is a credible source in the industry and my guess someone big from HD DVD group leaked something.

Interesting, I guess will have to wait and see if there is a final announcement.

:cool::cool:

Not sure if there will be final announcement of any kind. What are they going to do with the 1 million players and millions of HD DVD movies sold?

That’s why I said we will have to wait and see. I am for one not to jump for over hype or over speculation, both which the media are very guilty for.

:cool::cool:

I know being a mod needs to be neutral and whatnot but I just can’t help being in the middle of the battle which is not my war. I read the article a couple hours ago and it really ticks me. Spent over $300 for a player and a couple dozens of hd dvd movies in the past month. Now with no place to rent, no new hd movies to watch anymore. Looking at the release date of blu they are up to October 2008 for Tinkerbell Disney. For hd, only until April 2008 for two movies from Vanguard studio and Bandai Visual (??). There is Twister HD from Warner for May but it was postponed from initial date January. And we know Warner has gone blu and can cancel this hd release anytime they want. Hype or not, the article mentioned unpublished data from nielsen videoscan for the coming week where blu sells 89% and hd 11% (a drop for hd from 24% last week). More studios and retailers and rentals will see this data and news sooner or later and they will respond and us hddvd owners will hurt.

There’s no official word yet, but the Japanese broadcaster NHK and Reuters are now reporting that Toshiba will soon leave the HD DVD business.

Story here

[QUOTE=zaina;2000293]Full story here.

The Hollywood Reporter is a credible source in the industry and my guess someone big from HD DVD group leaked something.[/QUOTE]

The Hollywood reporter is also well known and cited for being slanted towards Blu-Ray. I’m not saying it isn’t true, I’m just saying that they have a tendency to post rumors and speculation.

:iagree: