Toshiba SD-R6472 Laptop Double Layer Preview

vbimport

I recently purchased an external enclosure/multifunction device called the DVD BurnAway from Delkin Devices. It’s intended for standalone burning of portable media cards such as CF, SD, etc. directly to DVD or CD. Specs claimed the run of the mill DVD+/-R/RW support, but when I received it, there was a bonus: Included in the unit (which is actually an external USB enclosure on steroids–supports standalone DVD playback/MP3, etc.) is a removable laptop DVD burner–but not just any burner. It’s the brand new Toshiba/Samsung SD-R6472 Double Layer burner!

Below is the screenshot from Nero InfoTool (I’ve manually erased the serial number). I intend to upgrade it to the newer 51-level firmware (available on the Toshiba Europe website). I’ll post some scans soon. I’m very interested in its quality, especially with the new firmware which claims to be a large improvement and sports the now-common 4X DL burning speeds.

Thanks for your post!

My laptop burner is a Samsung L532A which can be BIOS updated with the SD-R6472 Tu51 firmware. But at least with the media I have, any burned DVD’s (burned even at 2.4X) never play back in the same DVD device, even though Nero said no problems in burning. I’d be curious to know other’s experiences and information on this device and media recommendations…

This gives me some concern about upgrading to TU51. So far, I’ve scanned MCC02RG20 (Verbatim 8X DVD-R’s burned at 8X CAV–avg speed 6X) and RICOHJPN R01 (TDK 4X DVD+R’s burned at 4X Z-CLV–avg speed 3.7X). Both are very good to excellent quality burns (PIE always below 12 and PIF below limit with avg PIF of 0.03), with low jitter and good beta, and the read transfer curves are perfect in 5 different dvd readers. It seems to be a solid burner.

What brand of discs have you been having trouble with? I’ll see if I can compare.

Mirror Platinum DVD+R 4x

Can you find out the manufacturer code (using DVDInfo or Nero Info Tool) for example? I’m not familiar with this brand.

FYI, this drive supports bitsetting, ala Pioneer-style. All DVD+R and DVD+R DL discs are set to DVD-ROM automatically by the firmware. This is true for firmware TU50.

I recently updated my notebook’s dvd writer to a toshiba sd-r6472. I had some mirror platinum 4x dvd and I haven’t been able to write correctly any of them. I was getting errors with all the disks I tried.

I bought TDK 8x dvd+r and I the drive was perfect. I think that the problem is at the Mirror disks.

The manufacturer ID froM nero info tool for the mirror platinum 4x dvd-r disks is “AN31”.

The manufacturer ID froM nero info tool for the TDK 8x dvd+r disks is “MBIPG101 R04”.

AN31 is known to be crap.

So I noticed. However the discs that I wrote to a LITE-ON SOHW-812S were playable. The discs that I wrote to the toshiba drive even they could not be read from the drive they were playable to my chinese dvd at my tv.

I ain’t gonna buy them again though. I will try them and to a nec 3500A and if they are crap there too, they are heading for the trash.

Here is the disc information from KProbe 2.4.2

Disc Type DVD-R
Book Type DVD-R
Manufacturer
Media ID AN31
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4,38 GB
Free Size 4,38 GB
Free Blocks 2297888
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 3,2x
Maximum Write Speed 4,0x
Current Write Speed 4,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 4,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 2,0x CLV

Greetings…
Well i’ve this drive in my uniwill laptop and i’m wasting a lot os dvd’s.
With nero 6.6.0.8 and firmware tu-51 with the princo dvd-r 4x
It burns ok, but in data verify it finds a lot of errors and then it angs the laptop while trying to verify the remaining errors.

Is there any software to diagnose those errors?
Maibe because this centrino laptop reduces the cpu speed from 1700 to 600 and it causes de errors…
Or princo dvd’s sucks???

Thanks

Princo DVDs are supposedly the worst ones out there, at least according to others elsewhere on this message board. So far I’ve tried CMC, Mitsubishi Chemical, Ricohjpn, and TY branded discs and every burn is good.