Toshiba SD-R5372 Woes

vbimport

Well, I had major CD-RW recognition/writing problems with my SD-R5372, and sent it back for repairs. The new one that Toshiba returned SEEMS TO BE WORSE! Right now, with TU56/55/53, it tends to have a thing for burning quite a few errors on Philips (CMC) 12x CD-RWs. Also, it either fails to burn some Verbatim (CMC) CD-Rs (hangs at lead-in) or burns them slowly (4x), OR burns them fast, but with C2 errors and worse…

Also, 4x burning of Verbatim DVD+RW gets me a nice barrage of read errors too (when Nero verifies the disk).

I’ve had none of these problems with the SD-R5372 3 months ago, and the previous Toshiba that I used, the SD-R5272, STILL has no probs.

==========================================================
I’d consider this post a work in PROGRESS, as I will test the current repaired SD-R5372 with some more CD/DVD media I have around. The important thing to note, however, is that I DID NOT have these problems when the I had the new SD-R5372… that pretty much sums it up

I have quite a few Verbatim 16x DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs (from sales), and am now kinda considering the Lite-on SOHW-1693S, but still have to call Toshiba (and have them tell me that I won’t get a refund). Btw, BenQ’s drives have cought my eye (for quality AND quality testing), but am still unsure what to go for if I end up buying a new drive.

I am considering the $50 range (say, at newegg.com) for a drive that offers good CD and DVD writing quality, and (if possible) is at least a 2 sheep CD burner…

Unfortunately, I have found that the Toshiba SD-R5372 performs rather poorly on all types of Verbatim media.
I’ve tested on multiple units of SD-R5372 hardware as well. :frowning:

Well, it is now starting to seem that the drive is not defective, but, rather, SUCKS. Afterall, it did burn a Verbatim 16x DVD+R successfully and with rather few “Damaged” but readable sectors (burned at 4x). Yea, it doesn’t even have Quality Testing – read tests are my best verification with my equipment. This and the fact that it burned a Nero image onto a Verbatim (CMC) CD-R at 16x without hanging definately points to a retarded (but hardly damaged) drive.

Well, considering the situation, my goal now is to get rid of the drive with minimal financial losses and get myself something more reliable and something with quality testing damnit! :stuck_out_tongue:

If anyone cares, please visit my “new burner” thread and let me know what you think.

Thanks