Toshiba SD-R5002: Excellent DVD -r/-rw burner cheap

Just figured I’d post this. I got the Toshiba SDR5002 dvd-r/rw.
Works excellent backing up dvd’s,(using decrypter,dvd2one,and burning with Primo Prassi). Also, the cdrw is a 3 “sheep” burner if there ever was one. I bought the retail version(gives 3 year warranty)for only $200(US).

haven’t read any reviews on that but it sounds pretty good. i am looking for a good dvdwriter that is capable of using -ram…

Originally posted by mark44
Just figured I’d post this. I got the Toshiba SDR5002 dvd-r/rw.
Works excellent backing up dvd’s,(using decrypter,dvd2one,and burning with Primo Prassi). Also, the cdrw is a 3 “sheep” burner if there ever was one. I bought the retail version(gives 3 year warranty)for only $200(US).

Here is the nearly same post. Anyway, here is also a thread discussing Toshiba SD-R5002.

I’ve been using this drive for about 3 weeks now… I am not having a problem with anything about it… Copies DVDs with DVD X Copy in about 45 minutes per disc (most movies/special features get split into two discs)

Great burning speed, great price, I bought mine for about 175 bare drive… had nothing but success with it

Works great with my Asus 16x DVD reader too…

It is possible to do an’on the fly’ copy with what you have?..thanks,I await your reply

i’ve also got a Toshiba SD-R 5002.

m8’s have the Sony DRU500…and having lots of trouble with them, even when they updated to the latest firmware.

i’ve not had any probs…with this writer ,and very pleased with it.
does everything i throw at it.
been burning backup movies ,PS2 games ,etc…

had a few coasters when i first got it, coz never burned b4.
but no probs… and runs none stop.

i rate this better than the sony, although it can only burn at 2x…
only 15 mins apart for a full DVD-r…
if your patient person , this is a fantastic writer.

a writer that is compactable with all media and software.

Yes, most of what I do is on the fly copying…

Have any of you guys had trouble with the Traxdata dvdr’s. They are ReitekG03 and my Tosh just hates them, my mate said they should work so they could be seconds that I have, datawrite classics work brill on this writer and SD2.8x takes just 24 seconds to skip through the bad sectors, plus I got it from SVP OEM for £159 inc vat

andyw

Yep, got mine from SVP this week and it is a good burner. Bought the disks that SVP recommend on their pages - Datasafe Media DVD-RW - 10 for approx £8 and a pack of 25 Choice DVD-R for approx £22 - not too shabby a price and they had been tested by SVP on the Tosh drive as well.

Happy customer - who would recommend them. What was nice was that I phoned first to see if the drive was in stock because a few dealers before SVP had taken my order for a drive, told me they were in stock and than sent me an e-mail saying stock was expected in X weeks! SVP said if it was on the site, it was in stock - and it was. Can’t say fairer.

JTH

I bought this Burner 4 days ago and i must say its a great drive. Had a Plextor 24-10-40 before. Using Princo DVD-R 2x Generation and after 10 burns no coasters. Thats what i like,using cheap Media and working on my DVD Player Scott 838s without any problems.

Silently,you dont think that its working.

Ordered a Sony 500 DVD-R +R in January,Sony cannot deliver.To Sony i must say—>unbelieveable.

I had to pay in advance,it`s a real shame for this company !!!:Z

400 Euros in advance,for nothing?

Well, US$140 in Japan.

Anyone else had problems burning Traxdata (Reitek G03) media in The Tosh or is it just me???

00 42 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 50 00 02 37 0E 0B .B…@…P…7…
FE FF 80 00 03 52 49 54 45 4B 47 00 04 30 33 00 …RITEKG…03

By the way, the only thing i don’t like is that the LED remains green nomatter what you do, write dvd-r, read cd, write cdr etc, they could have changed it to a nice red colour while burning

andyw

I am having problems with the Toshiba 5002 dvd rom/r/rw! I got a new dell with XP installed, put in the Toshi drive, and it PLAYS DVD’s just fine, but when it comes to trying to record, all the programs tell me there is no drive installed.

It’s also giving me the blue screen of death sometimes at startup. The word back from the error report is that it is a driver problem. I’ve updated windows until I can’t update any more.

I thought it might be the drive that might be bad, but the replacement is doing the same thing.

Anybody have any ideas?

:wink: Your problem is i think,that you have no Aspi Manager installed.

Thats why you cant use your burner.

Get the Aspi Driver from:

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2098-10161913.html

Here at ZD-Net you`ll find the Aspi-Driver 4.71

or install Nero Burning Rom this one comes with a own Aspi manager.

Hope this helps you out…

A lot of people recommend installing Aspi 4.60 THEN upgrading to 4.71, since directly installing 4.71 doesn’t seem to work for somer people

andyw

And the answer is…

The software they shipped with the drive (B’s Recorder Gold) isn’t compatable with the drive. After all that stress, I opened Nero Express, and it works. In my view, you should be able to install the drive, install the software, and have it work. But I also had a non-compatable RAM strip that I put in at the same time (it says PC2100 complyant - damn Viking!) and that added to the confusion.

Now the problem is that most of these DVD’s I want to backup are DVD9 format, which is multi-layered. I got a decryptor, and right now I’m downloading InstantCopy so that I can convert the DVD9 format to DVD5 (which is what the writer writes.)

A great website with answers to many questions is:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com

I am trying to decide between a toshiba sd-5002 , Sony dru500ax , LG GMA4020

(ncix.com sony 553.89 and toshiba 354.00 and LG at 325)

I would be using “verbatim dvd-r media 4.7gb” to back up my DVD collection and do the odd Re writable .

what do you all think?

Originally posted by dintek
[B]I am trying to decide between a toshiba sd-5002 , Sony dru500ax , LG GMA4020

(ncix.com sony 553.89 and toshiba 354.00 and LG at 325)

I would be using “verbatim dvd-r media 4.7gb” to back up my DVD collection and do the odd Re writable .

what do you all think? [/B]

I think you should get the Toshiba somewhere else,that’s way too expensive,there’s a place here in Ottawa that sells them for 299$ cdn.

I seen a few shops in Toronto that sells them under 300$ too.

The Toshiba is the quietest dvdwriter and cdwriter of them all, the build quality is excellent and price is cheap £165 in the UK (OEM)

And even though it writes DVD’s at only x2 max, it’s 3 sheep burner status currently makes it one of the best cd reader/writer for copy protected cd’s around

Go with the Tosh, you won’t be disappointed

andyw

I am having a problem with my SD-R5002 every dvd i burn skips and sometimes freezes on all of my dvd players except for my computers dvd drives i am using Verbatim dvd-r’s and i have trying burning at 1x and 2x speeds and still the same thing I have burned with nero and Dvd decrypter