Toshiba SD-R 1202

vbimport

I own one!

Yes it exists!
I have the oldest firmware on it according to http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/
and as it is used obviously very seldom, I describe my experiences with it. By the way, to get a new firmware for it is the same pain-in-the-ass as always with toshiba.

The good stuff about the drive:

Backup of Laserlock: reads very fast, backup is 100 % perfect.
Backup of Safedisc 2.51: reads very fast, backup is 100 % perfect.
Backup of Tagès: not tested, I don't own Motoracer 3.

Playback of DVD: Noise is low.
Speed: I'm satisfied.

The bad stuff about the drive:
Burn Track-At-Once: Works with every media.
Burnd Disc-At-Once: Works only with few media. Verbatim 74min: ok, verbatim 80min: ok, Platinum 20min Mini-cd: ok, Verbatim 20min Mini-CD: no go!, Acer 80min: no go!

In no go, burning is suspended during write of lead-in, which takes place in Disc-At-Once before writing of data, in Track-At-Once thereafter.

Does anybody have a newer firmware???

//edit//
Please don't crosspost. Since the info is valuable naturally i'll let this thread stay here , but closed.
//end of edit//

//2nd edit//
opened it again since you asked for newer firmware.
But a reference to the original post would also be sufficient.
//end of 2nd edit//

> Backup of Tagès: not tested, I don’t own Motoracer 3.

If the following true, RAW-DAO-96 mode will never be able to backup Tagès.

Read this if you can read German:
http://www.brennmeister.com/forum/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=10824&forum=6&start=400

Originally posted by alexnoe
[B]> Backup of Tagès: not tested, I don’t own Motoracer 3.

If the following true, RAW-DAO-96 mode will never be able to backup Tagès.

Read this if you can read German:
http://www.brennmeister.com/forum/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=10824&forum=6&start=400 [/B]
You wouldn’t havea simialr link for english speakers, would you? i am quite interested to learn more on tages.

No, i don’t have such a link in english…

I’ll try to give a short summerization.
At first, download, read and understand the file:
ECMA-130.PDF
Use google to find it…

Then you will be able to comprehend this: Somehow, the inventors of Tagès trifle with the sync headers and the f3-frames. A reader, when encountering this, may try to “make the headers fit” and then might be shifted by a bit or so into one direction or the other and then might report different data, dependent on where it was shifted to. Of course this shifting takes place before data is efm-decoded, so the data it reports is not simply “shifted”.

But all this is speculation…but if this is true, every report of successfull cloning is a hoax.

I’ve updated to Firmware 1026 (RPC-2), as according to farzeno’s firmware site and Toshiba’s japanese firmware page (which I wouldn’t have found if farzeno wouldn’t have posted a link) the drive used to produce (correctable during reading) errors on burnt cd-r(w)s with older firmware.

Results of firmware 1026: Compatibility issues as of with ACER CD-Rs are gone!

Burn results:

Blood Omen 2 German: works.
Ballerburg: works.
GTA 3 German: works.

Test-CD-Rom-Drive: old Toshiba 32x-speed (6402B or something like that).
Reader used: that same old toshiba 32x.

Now I’ll check out the new RPC-1 firmware 1026 which was posted yesterday on farzeno’s firmware page.

Thanx a lot, farzeno!!!

:bigsmile: