Toshiba SD-M1802 Read Tests

vbimport

The drive SD-M1802 is somewhat different to the previous Toshiba DVD drives. It uses a different chipset (not Toshiba made) aka VOS VT7218S chipset (Via Optical Solutions) which is somewhat similar to the Pioneer 120 and Plextor 116A drives (VOS7216) and not flashable by MTK Flash.

It is reported to have 512 cache and does not support reading of DVD Ram discs nor +R (no problem though with that). It is a slow SD reader (took me more than 25 min for SD2.51), while with its original firmware 1030 it is region locked and has a read speed lock of 2x.

Hijacker from the Firmware Page (http://forum.rpc1.org/index.php) has put online a modified firmware for this drive (work of The Dangerous Brothers) which has no speed and region limitations. You can find it here:
http://hijacker.rpc1.org/toshiba_nolimit/#Download together with instructions on how to flash the drive. Remember that flashing the drive voids your guarantee and is done on your own risk. The results that follow are done using the modified firmware from the link above. After flashing you should get this reported back from Disc Info (or any other similar utility of your choice).

Please forgive the Greek language on the first two Nero CD-DVD Speed screenshots, noticed it after I did the tests and was lazy to redo them. I am sure you can all figure out what is what :wink:

PRESSED DATA CD:

AUDIO CD:

ADVANCED DAE QUALITY TEST:

DVD-Rom (Single Layer):

DVD-Rom (Double Layer):

There you go. Decent read speeds and a very very quiet drive :wink:

should I regret my 1712, bought 2 weeks ago?:confused:

Originally posted by Neo Hacker
should I regret my 1712, bought 2 weeks ago?:confused:

I don’t think you should. IMHO, the 1712 is a better drive than the 1812. The read results are about the same, but it should be able to read DVD-RAM (never tested this myself as I don’t have any DVD-RAM discs).

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
I don’t think you should. IMHO, the 1712 is a better drive than the 1812. The read results are about the same, but it should be able to read DVD-RAM (never tested this myself as I don’t have any DVD-RAM discs).
plus it is a faster SD reader :wink:

Yep no reason to regret buying the 1712 mate. I just wanted to show that the 1802 has at least the same read speed, if not better, as its predecessors. It was starting to get a bad name :wink:

cool thx!!

I would never buy a DVD-ROM which couldn’t read the +R(W) format. It’s unacceptable in these days.

It reads +R no problem :wink:

Originally posted by Hemispasm
It reads +R no problem :wink:

Good :bigsmile: But anyway, I would rather buy the JLMS XJ-HD166S drive :bow:

Can someone pleease help me with Toshiba SD-M1802 firmware v 1030. I need it badly for guarantee services…