Toshiba sd-l902a hddvd

vbimport

I am looking for any firmware updates greater than TF32 (which is on my September 2007 drive… the older of the two).
I saw a TF36 but it comes on the new drives, not as an update.
I also see other firmwares mentioned but can only find a download for the TF32.

I’m having problems burning to an HD-DVD blank.
(tells me “disc is not empty”).
I have 2 of the same drives, one with a TF32 firmware and one with a TO35 firmware
(on my April 2008 drive), and both units give me this error.
Both drives are N.O.S. and work perfectly for all but HDDVD burning.
I’m using Memorex 1X 15 Gb Blanks.

Units are fine with reading and burning DVDs & CDs and will PLAY an HDDVD Movie disc.
The drive gets recognized by the software (Nero 9 and ImgBurn) but insists the media is not blank.

I’m just not sure if it’s a firmware problem, a brand problem or both and any insight will be helpful.
It’s a PITA working with an obsolete format as there is little info available.
I have heard that Verbatims should be used with these and not Memorex but I was hoping that someone knew more about the drives
or had a FW upgrade that is known to work with these Memorex discs lest they become coasters.
I also don’t want to buy more blanks (Verbatim or others) if there is a problem with these units and not the discs.
If there is a brand that will work, I’ll pop these Memorexes up on E-bay or something and get ones that will work.

Thanks

-B

Oh and by the way, not to be a smart alec… but yes, I know they are HD-DVD
and yes, I know Blu-Ray is better, etc…
I need to get help because i do have a project that needs to be on HD-DVD. :slight_smile:
Any help and / or direction will be most appreciated.

BSquiresJr
You’ll get better results in another subforum here. Just don’t know which would be the best to move you to. There may not be more than a dozen here who have ever burned HD-DVD discs.

I’ll move you to our blank media forum, since I suspect the problem may be the discs rather than the firmware. Pepst may have some insight on your problem.

I hope you find what you’rel ooking for.

[QUOTE=BSquiresJr;2650531]
I’m having problems burning to an HD-DVD blank.
(tells me “disc is not empty”).
I have 2 of the same drives, one with a TF32 firmware and one with a TO35 firmware
(on my April 2008 drive), and both units give me this error.
Both drives are N.O.S. and work perfectly for all but HDDVD burning.
I’m using Memorex 1X 15 Gb Blanks.
[/QUOTE]

You have both drives as external versions or connected internally?
Send me a full log if possible to analyze the issues…

You only have that Memorex HD-DVD-R media?

[QUOTE=chef;2650589]You have both drives as external versions or connected internally?
Send me a full log if possible to analyze the issues…

You only have that Memorex HD-DVD-R media?[/QUOTE]

I have tried both internal (in a laptop) and on a desktop using a USB converter.
Yes, Memorex discs. I have broken down and ordered a few Verbatims to see if there is a difference.
I’m beginning to think it’s a disc brand issue.
The two drives are different FW and they also work fine with everything else…
IE: They play CD, DVD & HD-DVD and they record CD & DVD but ignore the HD-DVD blank.
I guess if all else fails I’ll have 2 portable HD-DVD players! What the heck, I have about 180 HD-DVD discs! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I also think the Memorex media is the REAL issue.
If I had such disc I could test with my 912 drives. :wink:

[QUOTE=chef;2652127]Yeah, I also think the Memorex media is the REAL issue.
If I had such disc I could test with my 912 drives. ;)[/QUOTE]

I just got hold of 2 Toshiba drives with the TF36 Firmware and they still won’t do the Memorex Discs.
I did order a few Verbatims. I’ll see how they work (when they arrive)
The Memorexes come up as “disc not empty”.
Like what the hell? :slight_smile:
It works fine with DVD-Rs etc.
Chef, I could always send you one… I have 10 of them that are basically worthless to me.

[QUOTE=BSquiresJr;2652144]I just got hold of 2 Toshiba drives with the TF36 Firmware and they still won’t do the Memorex Discs.
I did order a few Verbatims. I’ll see how they work (when they arrive)
The Memorexes come up as “disc not empty”.
Like what the hell? :slight_smile:
It works fine with DVD-Rs etc.
[B]Chef, I could always send you one… I have 10 of them that are basically worthless to me.[/B][/QUOTE]

Nice, I would send you some other HD-DVD-R in exchange.

Deal?

[QUOTE=chef;2652280]Nice, I would send you some other HD-DVD-R in exchange.

Deal?[/QUOTE]

Not a problem.
I can try that brand and see.
I have 8 sealed Memorexes and one opened but never used.

Not sure why the disc type would make a difference like that but
it’ll be interesting to see if the Verbatims work.

Even in the HD-DVD-R world brands like Memorex have no good priority, or ever had. :wink:

As a follow up…
I managed to get my hands on a few Verbatim 15 Gb HD-DVD blanks and
lo and behold! The work fine on my SD-L902A.

I had 2 902A units with a TF32 and a TO35 Firmware in each and they did not work
with Memorex so I was able to trade them in for 2 units with the TF36 and still no workee.
But they are fine with the Verbatims.
Nice little units and can be had in abundance on E-Bay for about $29.00 US
and make great portable players if you need a nice backup drive for your HD-DVD movies.
However, be aware that they do not appear to work with Memorex blanks regardless of the firmware.
They probably weren’t around long enough for Toshiba to build a firmware for them.
Don’t bother asking Toshiba either… the think you are nuts for bothering.
I know, I tried! :slight_smile:

If someone knows how to get them to work with Memorexes, let me know? Or… if your 902A works with them, let me know the FW version?
Otherwise I have 10 nice blank HD-DVD coasters! :slight_smile:

Hi, sorry to refloat this thread but I have not been clear.
You mean the HD DVD-R discs are not recordable Memorex or the SD-L902A or the SD-L912A?
It’s interesting how you pose as they have been one of the few HD DVD that I have obtained, I burned the other most even 2x.

¡Nuevo!Entra y haz clic en el asterisco para guardar esta traducción en tu manual de frases.
Descartar

[QUOTE=segaklon;2681126]Hi, sorry to refloat this thread but I have not been clear.
You mean the HD DVD-R discs are not recordable Memorex or the SD-L902A or the SD-L912A?
It’s interesting how you pose as they have been one of the few HD DVD that I have obtained, I burned the other most even 2x. [/QUOTE]

I’m not sure about the SD-L912A but the SD-L902A doesn’t burn HD Memorex discs. I bought several of the HD Memorexes from various suppliers but none burned. The device knew there was a disc there but kept telling me the disc was not empty. It played HD-DVDs, DVDs & CDs fine and burned DVDs & CD perfectly but not the Memorex HD-DVDs. A kind member here sent me a few Verbatim HD-DVDs and they burned just perfectly. I have also heard from others who had trouble with the Memorexes using the SD-L902A. Just as a side note, I had burners that had several different firmwares, including the last and latest firmware, and none would burn the Memorex HD-DVDs. You may have better luck but I’d stay away from the Memorexes if you have the 902A unit.

BTW, in case I haven’t said it before… my thanks to Chef for all of your assistance! :slight_smile:

¡Nuevo!Entra y haz clic en el asterisco para guardar esta traducción en tu manual de frases.
Descartar[/QUOTE]

Good to know that those records only bring problems, I frame the two units the SD-L902A Firmware TF32 and TF36 and SD-L912A TO19 firmware and without any kind of problems in the SD-L912A recordings recorded at 1.1 x by which advances to the other unit in 3-4 minutes.
The only bad thing is that now I only have about 80-90 disks and then it can not be achieved because are very expensive so I have to be more careful about what I store.
In these 6 years I’ve been making records known as HD DVD opens much like a dozen people with this type of unit, but I’ve never met anyone who has HD DVD-RW I think europe level’m the only one.
If you find any offer of HD DVD-R 15gb to buy let me know.