Toshiba Satellite L25 S125 CD-rw/dvd rom driver

hello i am need of some help.
my laptop does not know that it has the cd-rw/dvd rom
i was reading the different post and tried some of the things like
removing all the ide controllers and restarting the laptop and i installed a disc the cd-rw/dvd started running but nothing else except just run.
then i did the regedit and did the removing of the upper and lower filters and still nothing i don’t have the setup disc that came with it came it is used. they person i bought it from can’t locate the disc for any back up for the drivers i did go to the toshibear .org site and they have firm ware but nothing that i could see matches the model number which is tsst model TSL462
i would appreciate it if someone could help with this problem thank you in advance :sad:

Either the drive is bad or the southbridge on the motherboard is bad, causing the system to not recognize that the drive is bad.

Hopefully its just the drive, but even if its the board, you can buy that motherboard for 150 dollars.

i am not sure where to find the right driver can anyone tell me where to download the driver

There is no driver to download. You problem is not driver related, it is hardware related.

in my device manager it doesn’t show CD-rw/dvd rom or anything of multi media when i try to use the software that is preinstalled and it says there is not driver connected and i read some where that it has to do with the winxp sp2 update . it doesn’ have a driver on the laptop for this device it disappeared after i did the windows update . does that change thing

Hi and Welcome,

if the drive vanished from device manager, then this is often a sign for a hardware problem.
Do you have a friend with a working CD burner and broadband internet? If so, then let him download a Linux Live CD image (Knoppix, Kanotix, Damn Small Linux, Ubuntu, whatever, “Ultimate Boot CD” is another option) and burn with ImgBurn to a CD-R.
Insert this CD into your drive and see if you can boot from that. You might have to adjust some BIOS settings (see manual) to be able to boot from CD. Many notebooks also have a bootmenu where the boot device can be selected.
If the boot procedure fails, then the drive or even the mainboard is defective.

Michael

[QUOTE=berneida;1931718]in my device manager it doesn’t show CD-rw/dvd rom or anything of multi media when i try to use the software that is preinstalled and it says there is not driver connected and i read some where that it has to do with the winxp sp2 update . it doesn’ have a driver on the laptop for this device it disappeared after i did the windows update . does that change thing[/QUOTE]

Just toss in the restore DVD, restart the machine and press F12 to select the DVD drive as the boot device. If you cannot select this device or if you select it and it still boots to windows that means that the drive or the motherboard on the laptop is defective and needs to be replaced.

On the other hand, if you can boot to the restore DVD, just let the restore DVD run and it will install the factory OS on the system. After the restore, you will be able to see the DVD drive in windows.

But to be honest, I am quite certain you have a hardware problem and not a software problem. With any known software issue the L25 will still see the DVD drive in device manager.

that is the problem i don’t have a restore disc the person that i got it from tells me there was no disc with it when they bought it but some how i don’t believe that i would like to know where i could get those thank you

[QUOTE=berneida;1933480]that is the problem i don’t have a restore disc the person that i got it from tells me there was no disc with it when they bought it but some how i don’t believe that i would like to know where i could get those thank you[/QUOTE]Not impossible. Notebook manufacturers try to cut costs at all end, and if they can save 5 cent by leaving away a disc, then they do that.
At least here on the german market, many notebooks don’t come with a reinstall CD or DVD. Instead, the reinstall data is stored on a hidden partition of the harddisk. Sometimes they provide a backup software to burn the data from the restore partition onto CD or DVD. Unfortunately, this software deletes itself after being used once :Z No horror story, reality.

As already suggested: get some bootable CD and see if you can boot your system with that. Even some ancient Win98 CD will do, if you don’t want to try Knoppix or similar.

Michael