Toshiba or LiteOn

vbimport

Hi everyone,
I have been reading posts on this site for about a week now, and I thought it was time I join, and ask my question. Afterall, seems like people know what they’re talking about…

I’m trying to buy a DVD burner, and can’t decide between the Toshiba SD-R5272 and the LITE-ON SOHW-812S. Imagine I’m a 10 year old going in to buy either one. Which one do you suggest?

Might I add that I’m trying to get the burner through Dell. If I get the Toshiba, it’s about $10 more, and comes with Nero6 OEM Suite 3 Software. I already have a CD Writer, so having the dual CD and DVD writer on the Toshiba doesn’t make a difference to me.

Would someone be so kind as to give me some pointers…

Thank you in advance…

Zuala

This might help you to make up your mind > High-Speed DVD Burner Roundup

What do you guys think? Toshiba SD-R5272 or the LITE-ON SOHW-812S? Trying to decide which one is better…

812S :wink:

It actually depends on what you want, what you’re looking for, what is most important to you, and what you’re comfortable with.

Zuala welcome to the forum. Please keep in mind that crossposting is not allowed meaning you can not post 2 topics in different forums with the same subject matter. I have merged the 2 threads.

Sorry about that…Will keep in mind…Thanks…

I would stay away from the Toshiba as the firmware updates are infrequent. In addition, there is nobody out there writing hacked firmware, and developing programs such as kprobe for it. The LiteOn is a great drive if you envision yourself doing more “+” than “-” recording. Also look at the NEC 2500 and the Pioneer A07.

take the nec!

In those tests they think that the sony dru 530 was quite good, but weren’t the sony and the 812s the same drive as far as I can remember, how come the 812s didn’t got such a good score?

If the 530 and 812s aren’t the same drives I rest my case

The 530A is an Optorite. The U18A is a 812S.

that’s right, I mixed them up, I’m sorry

It’s Sony’s fault for going around telling distributors that the U18A just the OEM bulk version of the 530A. So there are a lot of people out there who think that the U18A is related to the 530A.

Even to this day, newegg.com still lists the U18A as an OEM of the 530A with the incorrect 530A specs (4x -R) instead of the correct specs (8x -R).