Toshiba or Liteon

vbimport

I'm upgrading my Matshshita 2xDVD with a new 16x DVD. I can't decide on either the Liteon or the Toshiba. Both I've heard good and bad things about. What are your opinions on these drives?

i have a toshibe m1612…and i like it very much

makes together with my lite-on burner perfect copies of everything

Yes Yes Yes!!

I was getting ready to post the same question.

I to have heard many great things of the toshiba with the exception that you cannot flash the firmware. :frowning:

On this forum and the lite-on fourm at their website, users are reporting problems with the LTD163 working with XP. Also some are dying out of the blue and lite-on is getting an awful rap about their customer support.

At the lite on website people are posting that the drive is the worst thing ever, and they get no replys to their emails to liteon. this has made me shy away from them as a possibility, yet I also want the ability to upgrade my firmware.

(sigh)

I guess we are still a a leap or two away from the PERFECT reader for CloneCD, DVDs, and Audio.

Until then I will settle for the Toshiba. Less bad press.

the clonecd people advise the Toshiba…
That is why i bought one…and till now i have nothing to complain

and why do you need to flash the firmware…Almost every title is available in every regioncode or even region free

I have the Liteon LTD163D and together with my Sony CRX175A1 have been able to read and write any game I have including safedisk 2.51. I’ve had it about 4 months now and no trouble at all. Plus I got it for $35,can’t beat it!

I to have heard many great things of the toshiba with the exception that you cannot flash the firmware. :frowning:

Try here:http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/

Got the lastest firmware and region free patch.