Toshiba L350 stuck in utility setup mode

vbimport

my laptop is stuck in setup utility mode. how do i escape from it? i’m sure theres a simple solution when you know how! i have tried everything. as a last resort i took the battery out and unplugged it and rebooted but it went straight back into ‘setup utility mode’. please help, because its driving me crazy. :confused:

What does it say on the screen? Have you tried the escape key and all the function keys?

thanks for your comments eric. i tried F8 again and it booted up as normal. its very slow though, so i defragged it but it didnt make much difference. maybe it needs more RAM? however, it does have a 2.1 GHz chip and 2Gb RAM already, so maybe thats not it either.

Time for a brand new HDD.

i always thought that increasing the RAM would boost the speed/performance. it will take up to 8GB RAM. do you still think it needs a new HDD?
i only bought the bloody thing about 14 months ago. as usual its probably fitted with parts that only last just past the warranty date!

What OS are you using? 2GB of ram should be sufficient for most. Are you running any AV/firewall programs? Try something like CCleaner to remove a lot of junk. Also check what programs are loaded at Startup using the Task Manager or Process Explorer or Process Lasso. I wouldn’t consider a new HD until you’ve eliminated other possible causes.

[QUOTE=nr147;2491214]i always thought that increasing the RAM would boost the speed/performance. it will take up to 8GB RAM. do you still think it needs a new HDD?
i only bought the bloody thing about 14 months ago. as usual its probably fitted with parts that only last just past the warranty date![/QUOTE]

Maybe a hasty suggestion. Try what Whappo mentioned. Also try Auslogics Disc Defrag, its free, currently the site seems to be down. Under advanced options tell it to move system files to the beginning of the disc.

thanks for your suggestion. i have a vista OS. i’ll try ccleaner first. i’m sure that’ll speed it up.

i tried ccleaner and it speeded up for an hour or two. it looks like it does need a new HDD. the disk sounds like its spinning a lot slower and more laboured than it should be.

Your can try an error scan with HDtune

i used a HDD repair kit and it did the trick. thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction. i would have been cracking up by now without your help. i am not worthy :bow::bigsmile: !!!