Toshiba HD-DVD player just a mini PC

vbimport

I just posted the article Toshiba HD-DVD player just a mini PC.

D4rk0n3 and 

soloza used our news submit to tell us while some people can’t wait to get their hands on the next generation HD-DVD players some people just cant wait to take them apart…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11828-Toshiba-HD-DVD-player-just-a-mini-PC.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11828-Toshiba-HD-DVD-player-just-a-mini-PC.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

What is the videocard? $500 for a 2.5GHz, no wonder MS doesn’t want people to buy PC’s without windows. While not cutting edge it is cheap.

lol this is funny. Raises several issues though. Hi-def H264 decoding is extremely CPU demanding, will 2.5GHz P4 be able to handle 1080 resolution? And another one is heat. I’m pretty sure that the CPU will be busy at least 50% while playing which would necessitate a fan to cool it down. How noisy is it going to be?

Using Linux, (or any PC OS) I wonder what the boot time is from a cold start to when you can view a film?

a. they are using flash memory so boot time is going to be faster b.it’s a strip down bare bones version of linux optimized specifecly for that hardware. c. They most likely have some form of hardware decoding on the board so it will be able to handle 1080i with fast motion on screen. I mean it’s 2.5ghz and 1 gig of ram with a os that probably has no footprint on the ram. It’s not like it’s windows xp now.

The good thing that this probably means someone already written HD-DVD player with HDCP support for Linux :slight_smile:

Um I submitted this news story a week ago already :wink:

Boot times ? My old-ish Athlon 3800 system which I optimized with lean boot partitions & a 10K RPM WD Raptor drive used to boot Windows XP in 12 seconds from power-on, no lie. That’s freakin fast ! Then I installed Norton Anti Virus and several other startup apps and it boots in ~ 30 seconds now :frowning: This thing should boot very fast. LOL about this discovery BTW… bring on the MODs … :slight_smile:

it’s pretty noisy (my friend bought one), but p4 2.5 can be cooled down without making much of noise p4 2.5ghz can handle 1080p without much of problem if there isn’t much fats to move around (like bloated winxp)

if you know exactly what kinds of hardware you have, boot time can be in few seconds. as there will be not much other than core os & hd-dvd player, loading time is minimum + hardware initializations will be also very small

dedicated hd-dvd decorder/controller chip will lower the price of hd-dvd player dramatically i wonder bd players will be like this, or will they charge us 1kusd with the specialized bd decorder processor. this 1st gen player is very interesting as you might be able to add media pc like functions…even better this will help hacking hd-dvd drm btw, the price hd-dvd player shows that sony won’t loose much money if any for selling ps3

What’s does the price of a HD-DVD player have to do with the Blu-ray based PS3? Sony’s own Blu-ray player is $1000. Just for a movie player…with the PS3, you get that and the Cell processor and graphics chip for video games.

Boot time? You guys must think that it boots fast. From what I read everywhere, it is something that people complain a lot. It takes one minute and a half to boot up this thing!!!:X

ps3 will impact the stand alone bd/hd dvd players. if ps3 can play bd as good as the stand alone, why would anyone to pay almost twice as much as ps3? bd & hd dvd hardware patners will re-think their strategy & bring either much cheaper solutions or delay their launches until they can compete with ps3 perhaps, media pc like stand alone bd/hd dvd solutions are coming soon instead of dvd player like one

How long before they get a keyboard hooked up and a real linux OS running on it Just like what happened with the Xbox.

“as there will be not much other than core os & hd-dvd player, loading time is minimum + hardware initializations will be also very small” CPU utilization shouldn’t matter whether it’s xp or not since most H264 decoders are written in pure C/C++. “it’s pretty noisy (my friend bought one), but p4 2.5 can be cooled down without making much of noise” It can be if you have enough room for a cooler like Scythe Ninja, but I doubt the case is that big.