Toshiba announces a few more details on its HD DVD players

vbimport

I just posted the article Toshiba announces a few more details on its HD DVD players.

Toshiba  has recently done a road show in the US demonstrating HD DVD and what consumers  can expect from the format once it launches                            late November in the US. ...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10553-Toshiba-announces-a-few-more-details-on-its-HD-DVD-players.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10553-Toshiba-announces-a-few-more-details-on-its-HD-DVD-players.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

>A HD DVD will only output high definition content over HDMI and other secure digital connections. Unfortunately this means that HDTV sets that only support Component or other analogue inputs would only receive a standard definition down-scaled image from a HD DVD player.< OMG, the movie industry is completely paranoid! This is worse than what we’ve already got today with D-Theater tapes! And it is completely useless, there are already HDMI secure -> VGA (RGB analog) -> Composite adapters available. I don’t think I really like the industry’s attitute. I am the customer, I want to use my component HDTV set. If they don’t offer me what I want, I won’t buy it. Simple as that.

Got a link for a working HDMI - > VGA? device? Please supply it (WITH HDCP). Anyone who bought a HDtv before an hdDVD format happenes is crazy and asking for trouble anyway.
[edited by sorti on 09.07.2005 03:38]

I bought an 800 samsung hd crt televison. It only has compenent. No HDMI, but I only bought it for my xbox. I am planning on getting an LCD soon, and I will make sure it has HDMI.

Why cant they just make it like the vcr’s and dvd players and use coaxial cable. They would be able to send the signal throught that and all tv shoud have the connection

Yes some HDtvs have something called opencable or cablecard. Your cable box is inside the TV, you call the cable company they come out put a card in your TV then call in and have your TV activated. Then you can watch things like HBO/Showtime without a box. But you can’t use cablecards with DVRs or multi tuners yet thats something for opencable/cablecard 2.0.

give dvdjon 30 mins and it’ll be cracked :slight_smile: lol

Unsprising information in my opinion. I have been telling people for years to not buy a HDTV without either HDMI or DVI-HDCP inputs. 4 hours of content on a 15GB even with H.264 is pretty much a load of BS unless they are talking about SD. A 15GB disc will be good ONLY for the movie and no extras with H.264 ciompression at 1080p. 30GB discs will leave room for extras and multiple audio tracks. I am personally hoping for lossless MLP audio. The details I really want to know is wether or not movies are stored and can be played back at the NATIVE 24fps (or 48, 72). The player should be the device to convert to other outputs such has 1080/720/480i60 (US, Japan) or 1080/720/576i50 (Europe, Australia etc) Danny.

Sure: http://www.spatz-tech.de/spatz/dvi_hdcp.htm In the end, the industry’s restrictions only hurt the paying customer. Professional pirates won’t care anyway…
[edited by Olli on 09.07.2005 13:23]

Hey, there is even a better one. Removes HDCP from HDMI: http://www.spatz-tech.de/spatz/dvi_magic.htm This “copy protection” is completely useless, prevents you from using computer displays and only hurts the customer. Even worse, HD-DVDs will only run on a “secure” OS like Longhorn. No, thank you.

i am sure what’s the problem with analog output or dvi; who has a time for recording/capturing entire movie from dvi?? professional pirates can copy whatever they wish & it only gives average users problems. new dvds won’t let me skip previews that’s more than enough to make me to build a pc based ht so that i can cut the preview, warnings & other stuffs i don’t want to see. bd will be even worse as $ony is the main player #$%^, i will only buy dvds until someone comes up with dvddecryptor like software so that i can have a control not others:d

> bd will be even worse as $ony is the main player < Yes, you will probably need an online connection to watch (so the content provider can validate your license).

>The details I really want to know is wether or not movies are stored and can be played back at the NATIVE 24fps (or 48, 72). The player should be the device to convert to other outputs such has 1080/720/480i60 (US, Japan) or 1080/720/576i50 (Europe, Australia etc)< Nope. Not in PAL land. You have to stick with the Mickey Mouse voices. :r And in NTSC countries you’ll have your micro-stutters as before.
[edited by Olli on 09.07.2005 19:02]

I doubt HD-DVD recorders and players from LG and Samsung won’t have component and DVI connectors.

> I doubt HD-DVD recorders and players from LG and Samsung won’t have component and DVI connectors. < I doubt that Hollywood would allow them to have “unprotected” HD outputs…
[edited by Olli on 09.07.2005 23:00]

Watch all the component only HDTV sets tumble in price once news of this hits the mainstream. I’m glad the Pioneer range of plasmas has HDMI.