Toshiba A3 problem

I too have a similar problem with my unit. Although my reciever is showing dts, the player is showing 2ch. I don’t know what to do. I too have the latest fw on the player. This is quite annoying actually as most of my collection is DTS. Everything is set as it should be so I am at a loss.

How is it all hooked up? (ie HDMI, component, ect.)

If you have audio hooked up by optical or coax you need to set the output to bitstream vs PCM or it will only give you two channel. At least that what happens to both my HD and Blu-ray players. Also with the Toshiba it says Core only support for DTS HD which I don’t fully understand yet.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=crossg;1964033]If you have audio hooked up by optical or coax you need to set the output to bitstream vs PCM or it will only give you two channel. At least that what happens to both my HD and Blu-ray players. Also with the Toshiba it says Core only support for DTS HD which I don’t fully understand yet.:)[/QUOTE]yep crossg same here with my A3 and i have no idea what this Core only support is either. Let me know when you figure it out. I only have to 2 in the box so far and i haven’t messed with the settings that much yet.

Sorry I didn’t post my setup. It was late.

I am using optical audio. Component video.

I contacted Toshiba.ca today, they claim it is an issue with f/w and will be looked at.

I loaded up my hd-dvd version of DVE. I ran the audio setup program in DTS (standard) and DD (standard). Did a full pan around and individual speakers. Reciever shows DTS or DD and sends the signal to the individual speakers as it should. 2ch still showing on unit. So I know I am getting full 5.1 no matter what I select. Seems to be a problem with the unit not really knowing what to do with Standard DVD audio. By that I mean on what it should display. That I don’t care toooo much about as long as I get my 5.1!

[QUOTE=penguin44;1964791]Sorry I didn’t post my setup. It was late.

I am using optical audio. Component video.

I contacted Toshiba.ca today, they claim it is an issue with f/w and will be looked at.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, this is a known issue. I didn’t even know I had audio indicators on my A3 till I read about this. :o

Just for the record, the same issues exist with the Toshiba HD-D3 that I bought from Costco, I called them and they are sending me a firmware disc that they say will correct this but they also said that firmware changes will be neccessary for the immediate future with this standalone and it will be discontinued as they have newer standalones on the horizon, I am of the mind to take the player back now, this is way to much work for a player that should work correctly out of the box.

I think FW updates with these High Def players is something we are going to have to get used to. I have done 3 on my Blu Ray and one on the HD-DVD player. Not sure if the FW update has fixed the issue as I don’t have any HD-DVD in DTS. Your FW is available here or here if you don’t want to wait. Just burn the ISO to a cd and pop it in the player.:wink:

If i don’t use Streaming my receiver shows PCM. Yes sound comes out of all my speakers but it just stereo in like a cross channel (right front to rear left and left front to read right) but if i use Streaming it’s in full DTS as it should. I leave my rear center on for movies that have 6.1. Nothing comes out of it with 5.1 of course.

I’m using a Sony STR-D695 600 watt 6.1 receiver. All Klipsch Synergy Series speakers and woofer.

Using Optical cable.

I have the recent f/w 1.3 for the A3 and it didn’t fix it. So I am hoping the next one will.

[QUOTE=penguin44;1965508]I have the recent f/w 1.3 for the A3 and it didn’t fix it. So I am hoping the next one will.[/QUOTE]What equipment are you using?

Edit:
I forgot to say my woofer is a 12" sitting on a piece of plexiglass on carpet :doh:

You cannot use cheap equipment/cables with these players. They requirer the correct equipment.

And don’t connect your speakers to a powered sub woofer. Bad idea. Connect them to your receiver. Also run L/R cables to your sub woofer. Makes a heck of a difference.

Here is what i use > http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/f-3-home-theater-system.aspx

I am out of town and can’t remember the equipment off the top. Sorry. It’s not the best but it works. I managed, thankfully to get a toshiba service call today. They looked at my 5.1 setup and said it was all good. I hadn’t done anything wrong and it was just the indicator on the a3 that was not performing as it should and the next f/w should do the trick. They do have reports of this and of the other problem mentioned DTS but only 2.0 being output.
Mine is 5.1 output but the A3 only ‘showing on display’ 2ch but still sending 5.1 so I am not worried. I did watch U571 on standard DVD today in DTS 5.1 and it still plays as it should so everything seems to be okay.

As far as I know this 2CH display problem seems to be just related to SD DVD discs… My HD DVD discs display MULTI on the player…

Just so everyone knows, this is just a glitch and not a real problem with the player handling multi-channel sound…

[QUOTE=Hypnosis4U2NV;1966726]As far as I know this 2CH display problem seems to be just related to SD DVD discs… My HD DVD discs display MULTI on the player…

Just so everyone knows, this is just a glitch and not a real problem with the player handling multi-channel sound…[/QUOTE]I don’t think i have any problems…

[quote=Hypnosis4U2NV;1966726]As far as I know this 2CH display problem seems to be just related to SD DVD discs… My HD DVD discs display MULTI on the player…

Just so everyone knows, this is just a glitch and not a real problem with the player handling multi-channel sound…[/quote]

Correct. Mine says Multi for HDDVD as well.

Hello,
I have the Toshiba EP35 1.3 HDMI HD-dvd player.
It shows 2ch or nothing, i have never seen Multichannel on the display.
The Receiver Onkyo 805 shows on his display TrueHD or DD plus.
And it’s sound great!

On PCM the Toshiba shows “Multichannel”, but on bitstream he shows 2channel and playing the same move a next time nothing.

Greetings from The Netherlands,
Bobby