Tortoise and the Hare?

I appreciated the review on the Optiarc AD-7240S — but it raises a long-standing conundrum to me. I am a video producer who for years has been researching the problem of DVDs artifacting/freezing up on playback. I use Mac equipment and Final Cut Studio software. My considerable experimentation and research (I even wrote a white paper on the subject some years ago) leads me to conclude that slower burn speeds — after slow and carefully configured compression — produce DVD that are less likely to artifact or glitch.

I long for a 1x burner, but they don’t exist any more. I now use a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M which produces very acceptable results at 4x (its minimum speed). But the popular burners get great kudos for fast burning :confused:

In all humility before many of you who are the more experienced of my peers I sincerely ask, what are your findings?

Regards

Roy

1x writing speed would be aweful on todays 16x media, even 4x is pushing it.
However, burning at slower speeds general results in discs with lower jitter, and there is a lot to be said about having low jitter on DVD-Video.
I generally find that 8x is a good speed for burning 16x media when the target disc is a DVD-Video.

Regarding reviews here. The manufacturers of the drives claim a max burning speed for any given media. That is how we should test each drive. It’s the manuafacturers claims we are testing.

Thanks, Dee

I agree — and even finding media that will burn slowly is a challenge. I use Taiyo Yuden Premiums 8x as the best I can find, at least in the “affordable” range (30c here in the US) and burn them at 4x, which works great!

Roy

@ ardisius,

Years ago to consistently obtain quality results it was necessary to Burn Media at very slow speeds but now with Modern DVD Burners and Modern DVD Media things have changed. I would suggest visiting the CDFreaks various dedicated DVD Burner Forums and closely review the numerous Disk Quality Scans. Now days Modern DVD Burners and DVD Burner Firmware is specifically designed and engineered to produce quality results at higher speeds. The DVD Media Manufacturers also specifically design and engineer Modern DVD Media to produce quality results at higher speeds.

Regards,
bjkg