Torrent Issues

Coming from a complete newbie who now has to go to college, I would like to question how I go behind -to what I think- thier firewall to actually d/l a torrent.

I have tried utorrent/bitcomet and can connect to a alot of peers/seeds, but I cannot actually get any data transfer.

Some help would be helpful :stuck_out_tongue:
thanks in advance

I would check the conditions of the use of college infrastructure…don’t want to advocate you breaking the rules and possibly losing privileges.

But, you may consider port forwarding…so that the software uses different ports that are not blocked by the firewall… I don’t know the technical stuff, but I remember this is possible. I don’t know if the program still exists and if it can do this still, but from back in the days HTTPORT springs to mind…

ummm…problem?

http://www.htthost.com/faq.boa?question=p2p

Q: How to set up HTTPort for use with Donkey/Kazaa/Kazaa/Morpheus or other file sharing app ?

There are two problems with P2P applications.

First, they generate an enormous amount of traffic. This is why the ports belonging to all the well known P2P apps are blocked on both public and privileged HTTHost servers. They were opened once, but as it turned out to be, a single user can bring the whole server to a crawl, simply by consuming all the bandwidth. This we cannot afford. If you need P2P through HTTPort, please install your own HTTHost on your own pipe.

The second problem with these programs is that they tend to support SOCKS5 only, whereas HTTPort provides only a SOCKS4 server. Some of them, like WinMX, DO support SOCKS4 and can be run fine through HTTPort. The others still can be run, by means of some auxiliary application called SocksCap, inserted in between the P2P app and HTTPort. Please see the SocksCap docs on how to use it.

There are ways around them, but more than likely they wont help you very much. I have several friends that help maintain server infrastructures at UNCC (where i go to school). I had the same question to them about three months ago. Their response was that Most schools now monitor bandwidth very closely from their servers. And not only will they expell you permenently but there are a few schools that will report you to the FED. UNCC last year reported 7 people for doing exactly what you want to do. So it might be a good idea to steer clear while you are at school.

I know this doesnt exactly help your problem and I am sorry for that. But i feel that i have given you the best advice that i know of.

{Edit}
I took for granted that you are in the US. If not, Im sorry for the bantering.

Good Luck
Cwrightthruya

Thank you for taking your time to reply, but will they really call the FED for me downloading legit non-licenesed anime? (yes I am in the US) Or will they just not like the idea of chalenging thier system?

It just kinda ticks me off to watch halfway through a series to be cut off for the next 5 months >.< For an example. its like only watching half a good a movie and practually never coming to know the end of it. >.<

[QUOTE=BladesDeath]Thank you for taking your time to reply, but will they really call the FED for me downloading legit non-licenesed anime? (yes I am in the US) Or will they just not like the idea of chalenging thier system?]

For the schools that I am familiar with it has to do with two things. Whether what you are downloading is illegal or not. And the fact that you are downloading something using a banned program. At the least it will most likely result in disciplinary action from the school. At the most they will call the FED.

In the area I am in there are two Universities and both in the past three years have turned in at least 15 or 20 people each for downloading materials from banned networks. Several of those lead to convictions and jail time along with major fines.

Uh, how hard is it to get your own broadband hookup so that you can download whatever you want, at little risk of reprisal? And no, I am not being snarky.

when you live in a college dorm it’s not possible. colleges either have their own service that they offer students in which case outside ocmpanies are not ALLOWED to service the dormitories or colleges exclusively license their business to the internet provider of their choice.

if the user gets an off campus apartment then he/she can choose what service provider to use and how he/she will use it, but this is not always a valid option for many college students.

(the above information is from a US based perspective regarding US colleges and DEFINITELY applies to private colleges. I have no idea how state/public/community colleges handle their internet service providers)

that was the case when I was in college…in the dorms you had to use the service the college provided…

and if your off campus…sure you can choose what you want…but bear in mind that might be your party money used for broadband :wink: its your choice…

First, you will be jeopardizing your academic life if you get caught. Indeed, as a felon you will be expelled from University.

Second, by possibly disrupting the academic life of your roommates and others in your dorm you will find litigious parents of the other occupants of your dorm suing you and your family into poverty.

BTW, Higher education is a privilege, not a right…no matter what country you are in.

When downloading torrents, make sure you have forwarded ports. Also, bittorrent programs allow you to turn on encryption so that ISPs don’t know what you’re downloading and therefore cannot limit what you download. It used to be a problem a while ago when not many people encrypted their connection, but now everyone seems to be doing it and download/upload speeds don’t suffer.

For example, Rogers company in Canada filters traffic and your download speed won’t go above 10-15 kb/s. With encryption on, bittorrent programs disguise the traffic and you can go well above 300 kb/s.