Torrent downloads - can I switch between clients mid-stream?

vbimport

For a long time, I’ve been using a lesser known, more exotic Torrent client called “BitTornado” (link).

And I love it - it’s light, flexible, powerful and absolutely robust.

However, on the last torrent I completed, I was leeched off mercilessly. By that I mean I spent the final 2 full days, uploading at my ADSL connections maximum of 30-35KB/s while getting an average of 2 or 3, when I was lucky.
In fact it was watching the BitTornado Advanced stats that got my blood boiling, these confirmed that my poor download speed was caused by leechers absolutely bleeding me dry.

After this I felt the need to get tough with leeching scum so today I started using the Azeurus derivitave client BitTyrant (link) which works by prioritising the clients that are sharing with you.

To make a long story short, in the normal course, I prefer BitTornado because I have historically had excellent experiences with it.

So my question is, is the torrent data download compatible between BT and Azeurus? Like say, If I started a download with BitTornado, but found I was being leeched off and getting awful down speeds, could I then open the torrent with BitTyrant and have it pick up where BitTornado left off?

As far as I’m aware of, the partial downloads from one BitTorrent client cannot be resumed in another. One thing you can try is make a backup of your partially downloaded BitTornado files and when you start a new BitTorrent download in Azureus, select the same destination as where you were downloading from BitTornado and wait a few minutes. If the progress meter starts from 0%, then it is unable to resume the download.

uTorrent is also worth looking at, which is extremely light and is just a single executable without all the media player, etc. unnecessary extras, but is also quite configurable. This has the option to either stop or restrict upload speeds when a Torrent has finished downloading and reached a certain share ratio or sharing time. For me, this is essential as my ISP’s quota is based on the sum of my download & upload usage, so if I download something such as a custom Linux ISO (~600MB) and it ends up getting uploaded with a share ratio such as 3 times the amount of the full download, which can easliy happen overnight, this would usually cost me a lot of my allowed quota.

For what it’s worth, I would try the extremely system light, easy to use uTorrent. You can set up and download limits.

But get version 1.61 as later versions are said to be monitored by US govt agencies.

[QUOTE=Seán;2057141]As far as I’m aware of, the partial downloads from one BitTorrent client cannot be resumed in another. One thing you can try is make a backup of your partially downloaded BitTornado files and when you start a new BitTorrent download in Azureus, select the same destination as where you were downloading from BitTornado and wait a few minutes. If the progress meter starts from 0%, then it is unable to resume the download.[/QUOTE] :doh: Why didn’t I think of that?

BitTornado allows me to set uplink and downlink maximum rates, so if I get l leeched off I can always choose another upload speed rate. No problem there. But what bothered me about my last torrent was that while 5 people leeched off mercilessly, one peer sent me massive amounts of data, and whever he got anything my client found Interesting, I got it usually in a massive burst. Effectively I was leeching from this peer as my upload capacity went in something of a round-robin fashion. If only - I figured - I could send this fellow everything of interest, he could focus more on getting the pieces I don’t have, thus allowing me to get a download rate over 3KB/s.

Hence my search for a BT anti-leeching mod for future downloads.

BitTornado also allows me to do other things too - like prioritising which file to focus on downloading first, so that in the case of groups of independent files (like a pack of Mpgs) I can have something to watch relatively quickly. In short, BitTornado kicks tail in the normal course.

The only reason I’m maybe going to give it up is to make more efficient use my upload capabilities.