Top excuses for not paying your TV licence - UK

vbimport

For my fellow Brits - fed up with the high price of a TV licence? Have a giggle at some of these :bigsmile:

…Affairs, naughty children and sun allergies have all been offered as excuses for not paying a TV licence…

Read more here :wink:

The first time I heard about the TV liscense in the UK I was shocked.
I have a good excuse I live in the USA so there is no such tax .
It would violate our right to free speech. Which works both ways . The right to freely speak & the right to freely hear.
And some say the USA’s law is based on British law . Sure doesn’t look like it in this case.
OK off the soap box .

In Ireland, it’s €160 per year per home. The fine is €1000 for the first offense and €2000 for the subsequent offenders.

For comparison, a fine for speeding or dangerous overtaking is €80 and there are far more ads on the radio and TV about the consequences of not paying your TV license than there are about road safety!

LOL Seán! Yeah, makes you wonder sometimes where priorities lie :eek:

@Cholla - It used to be that if you had Sky (satellite), and I think cable, that you didn’t need a license. Then said services started to carry the regular terrestrial channels as well, so bang went that idea. I recall an excellent cartoon in one of the tabloids at the time - it had the old Sky TV logo, but adapted to copy the TV Licensing one. The “Y” in Sky TV was two fingers up at the licensing people. :bigsmile:

What get’s me if I understand correctly is the licence is per television.
I wonder how about computer monitors are they included ?
How about radios ?

I guess you can tell I think this tax is wrong. I think it is something that would cause riots if the US government tried it . Our government finds plenty to tax us on but this would be different.

[QUOTE=cholla;2604758]What get’s me if I understand correctly is the licence is per television.
How about radios ?
[/QUOTE]

The Licence is per household and it covers all the people living there for any form of equipment that can receive TV or radio broadcasts.

So for example you can use your portable TV in your car/caravan etc under your existing Licence.

Computers with TV tuners are also covered by the Licence.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[B]South Africa[/B] is rather backwards

I paid my TV licence every year for 30 years .during that time people that dident have a licence had 3 months to get one and no Charges or back pay ( concession) after my husband passed away I was 3 monthes late and had to pay a hefty fine . Thought sometimes it dont pay to be doing the Right thing .

AS the the SABC slogan [B]PAY your TV licence tis the Right thing to do [/B]:stuck_out_tongue:

Then the Funny thing they Wanted me to take out another licence my husband used my Portable TV on the Circus thats in my name
What town does he stay in .

The TV licence inspector :cop: Just looked at me and said Forget it :bigsmile:

" every Big or little Town in RSA BUT most of the time there is NO reception AND the Generator goes off after the Show so no Power"
:flower:

[QUOTE=cholla;2604758]What get’s me if I understand correctly is the licence is per television.
How about radios ?

I guess you can tell I think this tax is wrong. I think it is something that would cause riots if the US government tried it . Our government finds plenty to tax us on but this would be different.[/QUOTE]

If it’s any consolation, most people here aren’t that fond of it either :wink:

But yeah, as Wombler says, it’s per household rather than per TV set.

Hehe, so you get to pay it as well Di? I knew some other countries had to pay as well, but couldn’t remember which ones. So I just put UK in the thread title. :o

Didn’t you know that the TV licence is to fund programming that is not economically viable to produce?

In other words, the stuff that no one wants to watch in the first place. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Dee;2605068]Didn’t you know that the TV licence is to fund programming that is not economically viable to produce?

In other words, the stuff that no one wants to watch in the first place. :D[/QUOTE]

Here in America we call it ‘PBS’…and the government subsidizes it, along with ‘Viewers Like You’…:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Dee;2605068]Didn’t you know that the TV licence is to fund programming that is not economically viable to produce?

In other words, the stuff that no one wants to watch in the first place. :D[/QUOTE]

LOL!! :bigsmile:

Britain, the nation that brought us Dockyard strikes during a war for their very survival without the
dockyard workers simply being shot.

Yes, US law is based on English law but english law Circa 1780… LONG before radios and Televisions.

Idon’t think any legislator here has a sufficiently large death wish to propose any such tax on the use of a television.

Corporate inspectirs for satellite TV have been shot for snooping on private property to see if people have antennae for the ENCRYPTED signal without having a subscription

AD

[B]In other words, the stuff that no one wants to watch in the first place.[/B] :D[/QUOTE]

LOL! I am still trying to wrap my mind around having to pay a tax to watch TV or listen to the radio and then get a hefty fine for not paying it! Why do the people let their government get away with this type of garbage? If this was proposed here in the USA there would be outrage after the we all finished laughing at the stupidity of the suggestion to pay a tax to watch TV and listen to the radio. In fact, here, we would have huge issues with government controlling the media like they do in many other countries.