Top ad worse than ever!

Whenever I come here now the ad on the mainpage blocks the drop down menus…this is in IE6. Any way to fix this?

Same here.
I realize that the banners are important for revenue, but I think that having functional navigation on the site is also important.

Just bumped into the same thing! :eek:
I’m using IE6.0 and it was the big add with “Double Bandwidth, double Ram…” or something like that!

Originally posted by Wookie
Just bumped into the same thing! :eek:
I’m using IE6.0 and it was the big add with “Double Bandwidth, double Ram…” or something like that!

I think that’s the only ad that gives problems. I’ve encountered the same problem too, but only with this ad (it’s a flash ad). Other ads don’t give me a problem here… Just some additional information, perhaps flash ads can be blocked in same way?

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
I think that’s the only ad that gives problems. I’ve encountered the same problem too, but only with this ad (it’s a flash ad). Other ads don’t give me a problem here… Just some additional information, perhaps flash ads can be blocked in same way?

It happens to me on pretty much every ad. Would you like some more screens in the "BUG: Annoying Bug on the main Page. " thread perhaps? :bigsmile:

Same happens here with every ad. I’m using Mozilla 1.3 on Mandrake Linux 9.1 and Mozila 1.4a on Windows XP.

i also experance this error. also it seems some ads are just not showing up at all. page cannot be displayed on the side banners. ie6 6.02800.sp1020828.1920

or something like that.

I’ve completely given up on visiting CDFreaks.com main page. It’s pretty useless without navigaiton. Why is nothing being done about the #@$% banner over the nav bars??

Yep, same here (IE6), most of the times an ad over the menu bar… allthough I can still select the forum because I know it is the first entry…

With some of the ads, when I move the cursor down over the ad, the menu bar vanishes, with others, it stays put.

Ad? Banner? Where? Use a pop-up blocker. Or in my case, install an add-on (Crazy Browser) for IE that blocks the pop-ups.

Why don’t you fix the problem so we don’t need a work around?

:rolleyes:

Currently we have not found a solution for the problem. It is caused by a bug/feature of all browsers that always put flash/forms as the top layer and do not dissapear behind other layers, which would be normal behaviour.

Currently we have a script that hides the Ad when you move the mouse over the menu item, this works when you move the mouse up-down and vice versa.

Domi, the script only works on adds that are not “Flash”-type adds. On the big banners, it doesn’t work and never has.

I just took this shot:

This is really irritating. Why have a forum for bug reporting if you can’t or won’t do anything about fixing this bug?

All of us visit a lot of web sites. I don’t think I’ve ever run into this particular problem on any other web site.

Put that banner somewhere else or put the menu somewhere else.

You just can’t cover up the drop drown menus with it. That just prevents us from using this web site. Is that what you want? You want to attract visitors and then irritate them by preventing them from using the drop down menu?

I refer to my earlier post, we have been creating a workaround. Also for most important parts of the website you don’t need the menu (you can login/logout on the forum, the forum can be reached by way of the forum tracker, bottom left)

CD Freaks is a very complex site, even most of the javascript is generated by PHP and we can’t simply remove and/or change parts. We have a special developer, but he is limited in his time. There are more important issues to focus on at this moment and so we have first introduced this workaround (which works very well for most people) as a first solution.

I’m sorry for the incovinience, but I’m afraid we can’t fix this bug anytime soon. Hopefully browser will soon render the CSS properly, and no longer put flash/forms always on top.

Using Mozilla, I’ve got the same problem that the top banner is ‘on top’ of the pulldown menu’s, making it really hard to use them.

I saw in the previous posts that this is a problem related to flash/forms, however I got the problem with a TEXT banner add from the Red Cross.

Seems this is not a problem with flash/forms but with how the banners are implemented.

this could be the best cdr site on the web (only an example) but will go no where with a poor main page design?

what could be more pressing than allowing visitors to navigate your site using the menus put in place?

its not the problem of how the browser implements flash at all but just plain a poor job of designing the main page and its a shame cause this place is full of good info (except related to this bug).

thanx :slight_smile:

if i’m not mistaken the banner is placed on the page by a script that the mainpage downloads from an advertising server and that script probavly places the banner ontop of everything else.