Tools that test the condition of your PC

Can anyone suggest some good tools which will test your system for problems with your memory, mobo, CD/DVD drive, etc?

When my 80GB Maxtor HD died, I downloaded a program from Maxtor which did such tests on it (had to boot with a boot disk)…I was hoping for an all-inclusive testing tool which I can just leave overnight instead of visiting the comp every 15 mins to reboot and start another test.

Hopefully they will stress your system to test it, but not to the point that it damages it! :eek: (For this reason, I may prefer one from a reputable software company…)

Originally posted by Tyro

Can anyone suggest some good tools which will test your system for problems with your memory, mobo, CD/DVD drive, etc?

Thanks BoSkin…I downloaded the Standard version and it just seems to tell you how to improve your comp, its detailed specs, etc. Doesn’t seem to do tests and tell you if there is something wrong with your IDE controller, for example.

Is this available in the Professional versions or are there other tools that can do that?

I can recommend some. Mind you the good diagnostic tools you might want, you have to pay for.

Troubleshooter
Quicktech (I think that whats it called)
Microscope.

Most of the diag tools sometimes tell you if you have a hardware problem or not. The best troubleshooting steps come from learning to spot the errors when the occur. The software just test the components and some of them perform burn in tests

Basic troubleshooting can be done without software test tools.
Usually removing all the components off the motherboard such as the sound card, nics and the like. Adding one piece back at a time until you reproduce the problem. Once you find the problem, you have the bad part.