Too Much Info ! My head is about to explode!

Hello. I love your forum. Packed with tons of info. Let me preface by saying i checked the “which one to…” thread already and i couldn’t find an answer. This morning i set off to buy a Sony DRU 710 from Office Depot, $149 with a $30 rebate. Before i went i decided to do a little research. 4 hours late i havent showered or left the house yet, and of course no new DVD burner.

Hacks and bitsettign and book marks aside.
I am an occasional burner, maybe 2-5 a month.I just want a burner that is gonna burn most media. I usually buy imation or Memorex dvd+rw( i know could be many types, they buy from many sources). i dont want to mess with hacks from naasty brothers or my cousin jimmy et all.

So…
Dru710/liteon1633s
or
NEC 3500
or
Pioneer DVR 108-even hough i want the honeycomb tech from the DVR A08

Help!!!
HUGE NOOB!!!
ps it doesnt have to be the cheapest it just has to work when i need it to.

any of the brands you mentioned will work fine for your needs. the sony would be a good choice if you want to buy that one, as it has almost no “issues” that i have read of. note that ALL brands have their shortcomings in different areas, and that itz really a case of buying the dvd drive with the least “issues”.
Sony - DRU710A

Double Layer 16X DVD+R 2.4X DVD+R DL Double Layer 8X max. DVD-R 4X max. DVD+RW/-RW 48X CD-R & 24X CD-RW burning 1 Year Warranty

Dealer # - CDVS-DRU710
Man # -DRU-710A

Description

Sony’s newest Double Layer DVD recorder brings a new level of performance to DVD burning. Single layer DVD+R discs can now be burned at up to 16X speed, burning an entire disc in about 5 minutes. Double Layer DVD+R DL discs can also be burned, giving you up to 4 hours of MPEG-2 video or up to 8.5GB of data storage space on a single disc. Being part of the Dual RW family, the DRU-710A burns both standard 4.7GB DVD+R and +RW discs and CD-R/RW discs.

Sony has packed this technology into an easy to install retail upgrade solution kit for your Windows® 2000 or Windows® XP PC. In addition, the award winning Nero™ software suite gets you up and running quickly and easily.

Features:

Burns DVD+R discs at 16X max, capable of burning a full disc in about 5 minutes.
Burns 8.5GB DVD+R DL (Double Layer) discs capable of storing up to 4 hours of MPEG-2 Video on single sided disc with 2 recording layers. Recorded DVD+R DL discs compatible with many consumer DVD players and DVD-ROM drives.
Burns standard 4.7GB DVD+R and DVD+RW Discs and CD-R/RW.
Maximum flexibility and compatibility - Choose the optimal DVD recordable media for your project without sacrificing compatibility with your playback hardware.
Award winning Neroâ„¢ Software bundle for burning all your video, music and data to DVD or CD.
Includes black replacement front bezel for matching the drive to a black PC case.
Short form-factor drive fits well in smaller footprint PC cases.

Technical Information:

Drive type:

Internal Combination DVD-R/-RW, DVD+RW/+R/+R DL, CD-R/RW Drive
Media and modes supported:

DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/DVD+R DL/+RW - DVD-ROM, DVD-Video
CD - CD-DA, CD-ROM (XA), CD Extra, Video CD, Photo CD(1), CD Text, multi-session
Read/Write speed:

Write (DVD-R) 1X, 2X, 4X, 8X Z-CLV max.(2)
Write (DVD-RW) 1X, 2X, 4X max. (2)
Write (DVD+R) 2.4X, 4X(2), 8X - 12X P-CAV max. (2), 16X CAV max.(2)
Write (DVD+R DL) 2.4X max. (3)
Write (DVD+RW) 2.4X, 4X max. (2)
Write (CD-R) 8X,16X, 24X - 40X P-CAV max.(2), 48X CAV max(2)
Write (CD-RW) 4X, 10X,16X, 24X Z-CLV max. (2)
Read (DVD-ROM) 16X max.
Read (CD-ROM) 40X max.
Sustained data transfer rate:

16.2 MB/s max. (12X DVD-ROM)
Average access time:

135 ms (DVD 16X)
140 ms (CD 48X)
Interface:

EIDE (ATAPI)
Burst transfer rate:

66 MB/s Ultra DMA66
Buffer memory:

2MB
Power consumption:

+5V 1.5A max., +12V 1.5A max.
Dimensions (WxHxD):

5.75 X 1.63 X 6.75 inches
System Requirements:

Pentium III 800 MHz or faster (or equivalent) CPU minimum.
Pentium IV 1.6GHz or faster (or equivalent) CPU is recommended for real time video authoring/editing
128 MB of RAM (256 MB or more for Windows XP Systems)
10GB of hard disk space.
Windows 2000 or Windows XP Home or Professional Operating Systems

1. Not supported with the bundled software, additional software required.
  2. High-speed DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW CD-RW discs required.
  3. Requires DVD+R DL media.

Package Contents:

Internal DRU-710A Double Layer DVD drive
Ahead NeroVision Express DVD video editing and authoring software
Ahead Nero Burning ROM CD/DVD mastering software
Ahead InCD drive letter recording software
Ahead Nero Showtime soft DVD player software
Ahead Nero BackitUp backup software
Black front panel replacement kit
ATAPI cable and mounting hardware
User’s Manual

I recommend giving the Sony/Lite-On a miss. Lite-Ons tend to have more media compatibility issues than the NEC-3500A or the Pioneer 108/A08.