Too much info for one DVD

I am very new to this so thanks in advance for what is probably a very basic inquiry. There is just so much software that I am not sure which ones are ‘soup-to-nuts’ programs and which ones can only do certain things. I will only be burning a large amount of home vids (new baby in the house) and just want to understand the process. The programs I have are:

Cyberlink Studio w/
Power director NE
Power producer

Imgburn
Nero smartstart essentials
DVD shrink
DVD decrypter

I have created picture discs successfully with Power Producer, but when I moved on to some home videos the run time is too long. I have authored them in Power Director and the run time is about 2 hours. When I open them in Power Producer to burn them, the file size is around 8200 megs. Is there something I am missing? Is it a matter of putting it on two discs or do I need to use some other software to compress it? If it needs to go on two discs, do I create two separate ‘movies’ in Director and then burn the two or do I create one movie and let some other software decide where they need to split during the burn? Great thanks! I am sure the solution is very easy.

Tranesblues

Home videos don’t compress as well as hollywood shot stuff does (cameras are noisier, more camera ‘jiggle’, etc.). I’d suggest putting an hour to an hour and a half on a DVD. You could compress with DVD Shrink, but putting less video on a disk won’t compromise picture quality.

Welcome to the forums.

I have no experience with the Cyberlink programs that you are using to make your dvds. I’m a little surprised one of them didn’t offer to set limits on the output size of the dvd though. 2 hrs of video in mpeg2 (codec used in dvds) can easily fit onto a single layer dvd if encoded properly, approx 4.3gb. Quality should be good also, for that length of video, though ollyteddy has more insight on encoding home video than I. I do more captures from cleaner sources.

If you want to compress what you have now, you can use DVDShrink for that. I wouldn’t use Shrink to compress to a single layer though…I’d set it to output as a DVD-9 and burn to a double layer disk. Look at Edit–>Preferences and change the output size to DVD-9 instead of DVD-5. You’ll get about 7.95 gb onto a DL disk. You’ll need a burner that has the ability to burn double layer dvds (any modern burner will) and you’ll need Verbatim brand +R DL disks. Don’t use any other type.

It is also possible to split the dvd if you like, instead of burning to DL media. Just depends on what you want to do.

And which file format should it be in when I get ready to use DVD shrink? I am not clear on how to get the file out of Director. There is an export option, but it doesn’t operate like the exports I am used to. Can I simply ‘save as’ a certain file type or is that what Producer is for? I am hoping to just use one or the other and keep it simple. Thanks again.

In order to use Shrink, it will have to be in dvd-video format. Which means you’ll need to have it in mpeg2, compliant to dvd specifications, then use an authoring program to produce the necessary .vob, .ifo and .bup files inside a Video_TS folder.

What format is this 8.2gb file in now?

Actually, I may have my answer in the last post (it appeared as I was typing my reply). If I recall, one of the programs does have the option to export or save as MPEG2. That is the info I was confused on … as I said, I am very new to this. So, to keep it simple on myself for the time being, the format that I should be burning home-shot videos onto discs for home viewing is MPEG2? Thanks again guys. I think this forum is going to come in handy.

Not sure the current format, I am not at that computer. It really is still in the raw footage saved as a Director file. I have not saved it as other files. I am going to work with what you guys have told me and see what happens. Great thanks.

If you are in the US, you’ll need mpeg2 in a certain configuration…to match NTSC settings. The usual settings are 720 x 480 resolution, 29.97 fps (frames per second), with either LPCM or AC3 audio encoded at 48Khz.

Any authoring program can take mpeg2 encoded to these specs and produce your dvd video.