Too much FLIES! please HELP!

well i live in hong kong and it’s hot here.

it’s os hot that everyday, i get swarms of insects swarming all over my room, now i’m worried since my new pc had some huge AIR DUCTS, if a fly or an ant manage to crawl through these holes and got insided my pc, won’t they FRY MY BEAUTILFUL PC?

OH NO WHAT SHOULD I DO?

also its hot here and i was thinking of turning on air condictioning, but i worried that sudden changes in room tempurture can create mostures, not to mention my pc and dvds cold get all soggy wet and gets damage.

and so my questions are:

-if a fly or an ant got inside my pc via the air ducts, will my pc gets destoryed?

-is it ok to turn on air condictioner while pc is on? will the sudden change in tempreture damage my pc?

thanks for all the help.

It’s actually quite difficult reading your posts with all the great gaps between the lines and is totally unnecessary.

Filters on the intakes are a good idea & quite often incorporated anyway. Not only do they filter out miscellaneous object but also dust.

I don’t think that you need to be concerned about using aircon as the change in temperature is not sudden & cooler air anyway is beneficial to the PC & likely to prolong it’s life rather than shorten it.

As long as it’s not evaporative cooling, it should be fine.
Evaporative cooling literally evaporates water which may condense in cooler parts of your PC.

However, usually air-conditioning removes moisture from the air, which can only help.
The air temperature change is not imposed directly on the CPU, but on the cpu’s heatsink & the temperature of the CPU will not differ greatly initially … eventually the lower ambient temperature will aid the transmission of heat away from the CPU, to the surrounding air, eventually lowering the CPU temperature ->

A lower temperature will afford your CPU a longer life. It will also allow your discs to last longer.
Lower temperature & humidity will also save your discs from Disc-Rot. and allow them to last longer.

If you are worried about insects in your PC, then you can lay your hands on filters, similar to those shown here relatively inexpensively.

I can attest that bugs can kill electronics (and I would assume computers). I lived in a rural area in Oklahoma for a while that was massively infected with every insect known to man. I often had electronics of all kinds fail and when taken apart, the cause was obvious. Believe it or not, I don’t think it is them walking across stuff that causes damage, but rather them taking a crap on the electronics that shorts things out.

thanks for helping.

-so it’s perfectly fine to turn on the air condiction with my pc around right?

-other than getting a filter to cover the holes on my pc, there’s no other way to prevent them from getting inside my pc exept killing them before they make their way in, correct?

again, thanks for the help.

:slight_smile: Do you keep any food in your room ? Is your room tidy and clean ?

Keep your windows closed and use window screens - I don’t see why the insects will get in your room if you have a good window screen it keeps them outside).

The ants in Hong Kong are HUGE and shoot fire from their mouth, if they were to come in my room I would worry more about me than my PC - they will likely chew you to shreds and eat you alive before they go in your PC :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

now i’m worried since my new pc had some huge AIR DUCTS, if a fly or an ant manage to crawl through these holes and got insided my pc, won’t they FRY MY BEAUTILFUL PC?

Ants are very smart - the first thing they will go for is your graphic card - Those NVIDIA chipsets are delicious (yum yum!) then they will go suck the juice off your capacitors, and finally chew on your motherboard and build a colony’s nest - (assuming it hasn’t chewed on you first!)

P.S. Beware of the red firey ants, they are very agressive :smiley:

OH NO WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Pack your bags and move to Alaska or Yukon territories, mate :bigsmile:

also its hot here and i was thinking of turning on air condictioning, but i worried that sudden changes in room tempurture can create mostures, not to mention my pc and dvds cold get all soggy wet and gets damage.

No worries at all! Your AC will do your computer good - Depending on the BTU rating of your AC, the change of temperature is GRADUAL and usually there is a limit as to how cool it willl get - ALSO keep in mind that an air conditioner also removes moisture from air - therefore it reduces your humidity, another very good thing for your PC and your media. An air conditioner has a thermostat to MAINTAIN room temperature - Set it to maintain an ideal room temperature of 20 to 23C and an ideal relative humidity of between 50 ~ 60%, no more than 60%.

-if a fly or an ant got inside my pc via the air ducts, will my pc gets destoryed?

If it got through the fan grill, it will get chopped alive by the fans :slight_smile:

if your holes are that big then consider using a filter - You could rig your own setup (buy some of that material use for window screens and cut out a piece and put it on the inside to make a shield. The screen is made so that it will NOT obstruct air flow and will protect your computer from the crawling insectarium inside your room :slight_smile:

-is it ok to turn on air condictioner while pc is on? will the sudden change in tempreture damage my pc?

No it will not because the temperature change is NOT sudden - Your PC will still generate its own heat and dissipate through its heat sink. Your metal base inside your case also acts as a heat sink. The cold air will COOL the metal base and reduce temp by a few degrees, nothing drastic, the ratio between warm/hot and outside cold from a room AC is not big enough to cause problems. Usually your electronic component can operate at up to 80% relative humidty, personally I would NEVER reach that level, I would say more like 70%. I always keep my room humidty 60% or below and my room temperature no lower than 20C… A good 7,000 BTU AC is quite suffice for a normal sized PC room and keeps it comfy and cool and is perfectly safe. For a large bedroom or living room, a good 9,000 to 12,000 BTU is suffice.

To avoid freezing, a lot of the new electronic ACs have a built-in limiter, where the lower thermostat value is 16C and will never cool below that level.

So I hope you are re-assured that your AC will NOT harm your PC. And this is experience talking because we have 40-45C outside temp, and 34C room temp here and I have 2 ACs working, bringing room temp down to 23C and humidity to 58% and PCs are running 24/7 no problem.

thanks so much for all your help, now i know airco won’t damage pc to whatsoever, i just have one more questions i would like to ask:

afte i turn off the airco and my pc off, should i open the window immedialy? or should i just leave the room as it is and let the cold air warm up before opening any windows?

thanks for the help

If it’s hot outside, why would you open the windows?

It’d be a huge waste of electricity (using the A/C), if you didn’t let it warm up slowly by itself.

That horrible sticky feeling you get is caused by high humidity. A/C reduces the humidity inside the house, so it’s better NOT to open the windows at all, after it’s been on (within a few hours at least).

Besides, everything else (besides the PC) will be cool, and opening the windows, with high humidity air will mean you’ll get condensation on everything else :stuck_out_tongue:
Yuck!

coolaid,

are you real?, or are u making fun of us with your questions???

com on, these questions are childish.
just read the operating manual of your PC, and that s it…
u have millions of PC in your country, do people complaint?

no!!! so???

Dude! Relax :stuck_out_tongue:

If it is very humid outside, as stated before, NO, leave the bloody windows shut :smiley: If you still insist in opening the window and letting the humidty and hot air come into your room, then use a window screen and keep those rodents outside - simple concept! :slight_smile:

Your AC has a thermostat - set it so it maintains normal room temp of your choosing - you can even buy one of those timers - Given the size of your room it doesn’t take time to cool the room when you are in it and require cooler air… If you are not in your room, shut down the AC and leave those windows closed as to not raise the humidty. If you have drafty windows that’s another story - Make sure you repair any cracks around window frames by applying some caulking 0 this will help keep those tiny little bugs from crawling in… Buy yourself one of those huge fans instead - you said it yourself you are living in hell !

Take my advice and consider moving to a colder country you will be so much more comfortable, sleep better and be happier and you will come back here on this forum thanking me :smiley:

Dude! China isn’t quite the same as the rest of the world … and they take steps to keep you in the country.

Hong Kong is China’s civilised front to the rest of the world.

there was a flea on my monitor, i tried to squash it but i fled and i think i saw it flew into the airducts of my pc, i think it’s already in my pc, what should i do, this is an emergency please reply please i beg you plaeseT_T

Drink lots and lots O beer. :bigsmile:

go ahead, make fun of me, noone helps me, fine, FINE, my pc breaks anyways, fine fine the dman fine!!!

How about a fly swatter, or maybe better insect managment on your part. :wink: You posted this a week ago so incase you haven’t figured it out yet looks like you’ll be just fine. Have a beer or thirty and call me in the morning. :flower:

u said my pc is fine, what do you mean by that, pelase i’m serious tell me, , will my pc fry? please i’m serious i’m not making fun of anyone, i just want some help, so what’s going to happen to my pc right now that a flea has gotten in?

i heard from alot of tech experts that an ant can fry your pc if it gets to your motherboard, that was around a few years ago, that’s why i get so scared when a flea has gotten in, i’m not freaking out for no reason okT_T

when you have bad luck with pc in your whole life, you’ll end up no different than me, if your pc breaks 8 times a year, with each time being unrepairable without new parts, and after all that effort it still breaks in the end, and when you get a new pc it starts breaking too, and now an insect has gotten in, trust me, you will ended up llike me, if not, worst, i’m holding on but if this new pc breaks too i don’t know what wil happen

one should never laugh at others misery. just becasue you’re doing better than them.

Maybe one of these guys could help you out?

My practical experience of working in an insect-laden environment is that the spiders very soon follow the other insects inside the case, and keep it pretty much bug-free for a while.

Then the baby lizards pop in for breakfast on the spiders, scamper off, and the whole eco-cycle starts again.

@cool-aid: I think you should stop worrying about one or two bugs, and put those filters on the case if you haven’t yet.