Too big to fit in memory

vbimport

Ok, I am trying to reinstall RougeSpear again. My original CD is all scratched up, but I made a copy of it. When I put in the disk, and click on the setup.exe. it will have MSDOS come up, and then it will go away, so I went into cmd to see what it says, it gives me a message of “Program too big to fit in memory” is someone has a fix for this or something I need to do to my computer please reply back.
Thanks in advance.

Also, I have the image files on my computer. They are a CCD which is like 4 kb, and a IMG file which is like 716mb. dunno if that might help, or if there is a program that i can use to burn them.

I have used WinIMG to extract the files and everything. But it gives the same error.

They are made with CloneCD. Try burning that onto a CDRW and see if it works.

when i try to burn it with clonecd, it gives me an error saying that the .sub doesnt match the .img

hmmm. You will need a .sub file with the .img file and .ccd file.

Can you put the image on an emulator?

I’ve heard you can try changing the file extension from .img to .iso and then burning it… don’t know if it’s true though.

emulator? hmmm. do go on, like what emulator could i use

Daemon tools.

Daemon Tools. It has a built in emulator and virtual drive. Make 1 virtual drive, enable SafeDisc emulation. Then mount your CloneCD image(.ccd) onto it. But make sure that your .img file is in the same directory as your .ccd file. That should load itself on. If autoplay doesn’t start, go to my computer and double click your new virtual drive. If it has autoplay, it should automatically start up. If not, go into the program’s setup.

You may unmount the image at any time. You have to have the image mounted for the game to work.

Good Luck!:slight_smile:

I am pretty much a n00b when it comes to copy protections myself.

Quick question while we’re on the subject. Can you mount a image file off of a CD to a Virtual Drive?

Are you talking about mounting an image that was burned onto a CD by you?

Yes you can. But the speed will be just like a CD and it would be much easier just burning the image.

Not in every case.

If you have a burner which is incapable of writing an image, it might be okay to actually keep the image as an image and just mount it directly from a CD.

However, the image takes up much more space than just writing the image to cd as a CD, rather than a CD image.

Also if you want to be trendy and have all the Diablo2 CD’s on a single DVD, you can just have all 5 cd’s as images and mount them as required :wink: :iagree:
wOOt!

Hehehehe :slight_smile:

Yes I was thinking for copy protection purposes. Let’s say I have a drive that can’t burn xxxxx protection. I want to use Daemon tools to emulate that protection. Yet I don’t want to waste the drive space.

I wanted to know if I could burn the CD then afterwards use that CD to mount on Daemon to emulate the protection. :smiley:

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]Yes I was thinking for copy protection purposes. Let’s say I have a drive that can’t burn xxxxx protection. I want to use Daemon tools to emulate that protection. Yet I don’t want to waste the drive space.

I wanted to know if I could burn the CD then afterwards use that CD to mount on Daemon to emulate the protection. :smiley: [/B]

Yes of course, not a problem.
But as $CyBeRwIz$ commented, not much speed performance, actually alot slower as it has to be processed via CDROM driver -> windows file system ->Windows -> Daemon tools-> daemon scsi driver -> windows file system ->Windows
Instead of just Cdrom driver->windows file system -> Windows

Thats a hell of alot of extra function calls :wink:

But if the burner can’t burn an image correctly, but can read, certainly, it makes alot of sense to store just the image on a cd, rather than the cd. And these days, everythings so damn fast it outstrips demand anyway :wink:

I would probably also go further as well. If you store the image on a cd/dvd, make sure you also include a copy of a matching copy protection emulator so you don’t have to look for it later if it’s not installed :wink:

Why would I have to worry about function calls? Everything would be installed on my PC and the software only looks at the CD periodically to make sure it’s there right?

FYI the above is all just curious questions. I only have a limited number of games and no kids so I don’t try and copy my games: hence me being a n00b this subject. :iagree:

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]Why would I have to worry about function calls? Everything would be installed on my PC and the software only looks at the CD periodically to make sure it’s there right?

FYI the above is all just curious questions. I only have a limited number of games and no kids so I don’t try and copy my games: hence me being a n00b this subject. :iagree: [/B]

You don’t need to worry about function calls. Microsoft and the authors of Daemon tools have done that for you, asn well as a bunch of people that wrote the interface toyour IDE controller, etc.

Going all the way back to computer programming theory at 2nd yr uni…
Function calls are the most expensive operation (delay wise) that can be peformed. Processors were created to crunch numbers, not make decisions. So the pipes were created in accordance with the cache to ensure that the actual ALU has enough numbers to keep it going.

Basically each CPU pipe has 8 (or more nowadays) operations in the queue. When it reaches a decision operation (if this, otherwise do that) , in the pipe are already 7 operations which it has “Predicted” that will be the resulting path. However if the decision goes the opposite way, the 7 operations have to be cleared one after the other and the correct (next 8) operations from the opposite branch loaded.
Not just that, but also the actual data for the instructions/ops has to be loaded as well from ram/cache which is extremely slow.

Nowadays though, the CPU’s have heaps of additional units and much better prediction algorithmns to minimise the delay when switching tasks / or making decisions. I remember the Athlon actually loads 4 ops of the predicted branch and 3 of the opposite branch in order to minimise the delay (only 3 or 4 ops need to be cleared from the pipes if wrong) which basically 1/2’s the delay time when switching between functions.

Now when it calls a function, it is basically making a decision, so operations and data need to be retrieved from Ram/Cache to run that function.

If in an operation we can minimise the function calls and make it a serial program (minimise decisions) then it will speed up the computer many times as it doesn’t have wasted cycles clearing the pipe or waiting for data/ops to arrive.

Very time consuming.

So if we have something which calls 3 functions to get a job done, it will be much faster than calling 7 to do the same job.

Now don’t pull me up for the MAC os which is a RISC chip, which actually relies on craploads of function calls to make the system faster.

Think more like C++ versus Java.

Java programmers create programs faster by linking together thousands of pre-made functions that have been written for them.

What they don’ty see in the background is pre-made java function calling upon other java functions, layer after layer after layer of function calls.
Nasty! Hideously slow. Devolopment time is fast though.

C++, some basic functions are written, but are usually accessed directly. C++ programmers have almost direct control over what the their program is doing.
Only a few layers of function calls. Very fast to execute.
Of course programs take forever to create, and are error prone :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, if you mount an image an image onto the Virtual Drive WITH SafeDisc protection required for the game, depending on the game, you would only have to mount it for a few seconds for the SafeDisc guard module in the program to verify the CD. Then you could take it out. I say “depending on the game”, because the game might need the CD for reading files from it, e.g audio files.

BUT with the SecuROM game protection, it requires the CD to be in the drive at all times(due to possible various security cecks throughout the game).

ok when i try to use daemon tools, and i try to mount the ccd. it says “Unable to mount image, unable to access sub-channel file”

now i dont know what to do now, im such a newb

OK, that means it cannot find the third file that CloneCD uses, a .sub file. That image is pretty much useless without it, but I have an idea. With CloneCD, make an image again from you backuped CD and that should create a new set of files with a .sub file.

Originally posted by jackancoke
[B]ok when i try to use daemon tools, and i try to mount the ccd. it says “Unable to mount image, unable to access sub-channel file”

now i dont know what to do now, im such a newb [/B]

It sounds like the .Sub file is missing.

Unfortunately i dunno what you can do with that.

Maybe try burning the .img with nero, using MODE1 Raw 2352.

It will regenerate the Subs.

So long as the game isn’t protected with securom, it should work fine.