Tons of write erros on TYG02 media: Fake or Hardware?

vbimport

Well I got some “supposed” TYG02 media from a guy on Ebay. The MID confirms as TYG02 all media he sent me. He provided a 2-disc sample for price of shipping which burned at 12x and played in my stand-alone player so I ordered 2x50dvd-r reels. Well these new discs he sent me didn’t look the same and they don’t even burn the same, AND don’t play in my stand-alone!!! Nero 6.6 only lets me burn them at 2x or 4x (no 1x).

I ran quality checks on them using my Lite-ON XJ-HD166S since I have a NEC ND-3520A which wasn’t able to do quality checks I guess? I also tried an older disc from a different batch and had semi-similar results… so maybe this is the reading drive’s fault somehow? Well here’s the scans from two DVD-Video burns and one data-disc.

Sample Discs
DVD-VIDEO
Write: NEC ND-3520A (1.24 RPC1) @ 12x TYG02 code media
Read: Lite-ON XJ-HD166S @ Max speed in an older 1.3Ghz computer

100-reel Discs
DVD-VIDEO
Write: NEC ND-3520A burn (3.04 No Riplock) @ 4x TYG02 code media

Data Disc
Write: NEC ND-3520A burn (1.UG) @ 4x TYG02 code media

I should also note that my buddy tried burning 2 discs from this batch in his Sony DRU-510A 2.0a firmware and it coastered them as well, which was what initially aroused my suspicion that these were bad quality discs.

Obviously you can see something is up with the scans. I’ve seen scans of other peoples media and theirs looks way different :frowning: Did this guy jip me on media or could I possibly have a hardware conflict in my burner? When doing the quality tests, the disc would get around 90% but then the drive would go crazy spinning up and down like it couldn’t read anything more so I had to press stop. Is it possible my server computer isn’t fast enough to do these test or something? Below is my hardware setup on my writing drive, not the server:

ASPI: v4.60
Mobo: DFI NF4 Ultra-D Rev.AAO 3/10 BIOS
CPU: 3500+ Winchester CBBFD 0441 TPAW @ 9x290(2610) 1.584v(1.45*110%)
HSF: Lapped XP-120 w/ Tri-Delta High Speed 120mm
RAM: G.skill 2x512 LC @ 2.5-4-4-8 1T 2.83v 1:1
GFX: XFX 6600GT w/ Zalman VF700-CU @ 587/1290 (46C/55C)
PSU: OCZ PowerStream 520W
Case: Lian-Li PC-60+
Idle/Load: CPU(34/44) Case(25/32) Chipset(38/44)
74g Raptor | Hitachi 250g SATA | NEC 3520A (1.24 & 3.04 Firmwares) | Audigy1 Platinum

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I either want to get my money back from this joker who sent me bad discs (which I plan to do anyway, I just wanted this to help build my case)

The only problem you will have here is that your 166 is not a scanning drive so your scans cannot be evaluated. The NEC will scan so re-scan at 5X or slower and then post. BTW, a ton of fake TY is on Ebay. What is the serial number near the hub? It should start with CG.

Thanks for the quick replay chas.

The only printing I see on the bottom of the disc near the ring of the CD says: DVD-R 8X 040530A

So I assume this is fake despite the TYG02 MID code (which I did read on the forums could be faked.

Actually re-reading the auction at this URL: http://tinyurl.com/9su89
I see that it says “(Due to manufacturing agreements, we’re not allowed to advertise the actual manufacturer of these discs. Although these use the Taiyo Yuden TYG02 code, these discs are not manufactured by Taiyo Yuden.)”

So I guess they admited they’re not made by TY and I should have read closer. Well just great–these media are really almost good for nothing. Frisby anybody?

(Due to manufacturing agreements, we’re not allowed to advertise the actual manufacturer of these discs. Although these use the Taiyo Yuden TYG02 code, these discs are not manufactured by Taiyo Yuden.) - yeah, but they have no problem taking (stealing) from customers for utter sh*t media that is not fit for anything other than the trash heap - if they sent you samples that were idfferent from what you purchased, then that is out and out fraud. Advise them that if they do not refund you, you will issue a small claims proceeding against them - and will not let this matter drop.

If you want genuine TY go to Rima.com or Supermedia.com or Meritline.com. All sell genuine TY at decent proces. If you get the “value” TY you will get TYG01 and with the 1.UF firmware it burns very well on your 3520 at 8X.

To clear any assumption of fraud, I had actually confused the sample DVDs sent to me were actually from another dealer, not the person I received the 100-Reel from.

Below are scans using my NEC ND-3520A 1.UG.

Disc: AML @ 4x (my previous media)
Burner: NEC ND-3520A 1.UG
Reader: NEC ND-3520A 1.UG

Disc: TYG02 MID (Manufactured by Optodisc according to the dealer) @ 4x
Burner: NEC ND-3520A 1.UG
Reader: NEC ND-3520A 1.UG

I am being offered a refund.

It hurts just to look at that. :sad:

Why would you buy media on Ebay when there are at least 10 legitimate sites that sell Tys at very good prices. It doesn’t make sense. Try Rima.com or at least go to BEST BUY if your in the USA and get some +R Fujis 8x.