To Rene just an idea

vbimport

#1

Rene you say that you are having so much trouble with serial numbers and cracked version of dvd2one over the web,i agree it is everywhere,but no matter what you try and do you will never completly stop it .as you say you can only make it harder.
some idea’s for you

dont know if it can be done but here we go…

reg code has to be inputed to program to activate as now,with is tagged to your e-mail addy and only that e-mail.
when the program starts it goes to your server and if the serial and e-mail is ok the program will start if not it crashes(you would only have to do this once(anyone trying with dodgy e-mail and reg code ip addy is logged and you can take it from there )

or something similar to this,i personally wouldnt mind having to activate it this way if it means the updates are quicker and you dont have to spend all your time doing protection:eek:


#2

Sorry don’t like that way :slight_smile:

My Living-Room PC is not connected to the Internet.

Its only used for ripping and playing. Theres always gonna be cracked versions around…

Most off us have used a Key-Maker sometime in the past. But if the Program is good like DVD2ONE its no problem paying for it :slight_smile:

Great work Rene :slight_smile: DVD2ONE was my only reason to get a Toshiba 5002.

Cheers Max


#3

only throwing an idea about

ye we have all used a keygen at some point(if you havent you are kidding yourself on or you are an angel)
all i was saying was why should the guy spend all his time trying to keep people out instead of moving the program forward.

in the end there is only one loser… the people like myself who have went out and bought the program and you,somewhere along the line Erwin will turn round and say is it worth the hassle(hope not as this guy has reshaped the whole bachup scene):eek:

edit was a spelling mistake


#4

Originally posted by jockeycfc
[B]Rene you say that you are having so much trouble with serial numbers and cracked version of dvd2one over the web,i agree it is everywhere,but no matter what you try and do you will never completly stop it .as you say you can only make it harder.
some idea’s for you

dont know if it can be done but here we go…

reg code has to be inputed to program to activate as now,with is tagged to your e-mail addy and only that e-mail.
when the program starts it goes to your server and if the serial and e-mail is ok the program will start if not it crashes(you would only have to do this once(anyone trying with dodgy e-mail and reg code ip addy is logged and you can take it from there )

or something similar to this,i personally wouldnt mind having to activate it this way if it means the updates are quicker and you dont have to spend all your time doing protection:eek: [/B]

This would be the same as any other protection scheme… in fact this would be a simpler thing for crackers to crack.

cracker: bypass net check to validate server verification, goto validate good (calculate value good whatever), continue running.

There is no way to ever fully protect the code, making it harder is a somewhat impossible task too. after all, what becomes hard for one cracker is a breeze for another cracker.

I personaly feel that trying to make it harder and harder to crack is not the way to go, no matter what you do, it will be cracked, the more popular DVD2one gets, the faster it will be cracked. The key I beleive is updating on a faster basis and always removing downloads to previous versions. This way, by the time the last version has been cracked and released to the piracy world a new version is out and the old crack no longer works, always keeping 1 step ahead of the crackers. Sure groups will start releasing the actual .exe with the Key generator or Patch, but why would someone want the last version and not the current?

Instead of working for 3 weeks on 15 bugs and 4 new additions, add a few bug fix releases every few days and occasionaly a new edition release.


#5

ye agree you are not going to stop it ,but there must be away round it as you say keep ahead of them could be the answer


#6

Indeed we are not going to stop it, and the serialnumber method we are using now will remain the same for quite a while.

Piracy is there and we are learning to live with it just like every other legit software developer must learn it :frowning:


#7

The reasons we have piracy is that an individual either too damn cheap to buy the software (I believe this is the exception rather than the rule) or the person does not see the value of the software reflected in the price (and this is why so many people have cracked copies of Microsoft products).

One alternative is to give these people what they want. By that I mean this… release a version of DVD2One with all the features (1:1 copy, selectable re-size, etc) and make this available to registered users. Then release the full v1.0 to the public for cheap ($10 or so). They can transcode their DVD’s but without all the features.

Sure you will get the crackers cracking the full-featured product but for those people who think that the software is only worth $10 can have it…and you will get a little extra money as well. The “cheap” version will stay maybe 2 or 3 features away from the full version but I think people could live with that.


#8

Originally posted by goobers
[B]The reasons we have piracy is that an individual either too damn cheap to buy the software (I believe this is the exception rather than the rule) or the person does not see the value of the software reflected in the price (and this is why so many people have cracked copies of Microsoft products).

One alternative is to give these people what they want. By that I mean this… release a version of DVD2One with all the features (1:1 copy, selectable re-size, etc) and make this available to registered users. Then release the full v1.0 to the public for cheap ($10 or so). They can transcode their DVD’s but without all the features.

Sure you will get the crackers cracking the full-featured product but for those people who think that the software is only worth $10 can have it…and you will get a little extra money as well. The “cheap” version will stay maybe 2 or 3 features away from the full version but I think people could live with that. [/B]

Why wouldn’t these people just find a cracked version of the full program? Why would they pay $10 for a plain version, when they could get a cracked copy of the full thing?

You plan still would not work.

My father used to say, “locks just keep a honest person honest”.

If someone wants it, they will crack it. Some people will not pay no matter how cheap it is. You have to live with the fact that a small % of people are/will be dishonest. That goes for the world in general, not just software. No matter what you do, software will be cracked, cars will be stolen, houses will be burglerized, etc.

All you can do is hope the protection is enough to keep the honest person honest.


#9

Maybe spath can give you some tips.


#10

Originally posted by goober22
[B]

Why wouldn’t these people just find a cracked version of the full program? Why would they pay $10 for a plain version, when they could get a cracked copy of the full thing?

You plan still would not work.

My father used to say, “locks just keep a honest person honest”.

If someone wants it, they will crack it. Some people will not pay no matter how cheap it is. You have to live with the fact that a small % of people are/will be dishonest. That goes for the world in general, not just software. No matter what you do, software will be cracked, cars will be stolen, houses will be burglerized, etc.

All you can do is hope the protection is enough to keep the honest person honest. [/B]

But providing a $10 version (or even cheaper) will keep cheap-skate honest people honest. I agree that it will be a cold day in hell before someone truely works out a way to stop pirates (if it will run on a computer it can be cracked)…so rather than resorting to a cracked copy of software paople can get a reduced function copy. That way they can feel all warm and fuzzy inside and software authors can at least get something for their work.

I never said it was a perfect system. There will always be those who want all the functionality with none of the cost. If you offer a $10 version and only 100 people take up the offer you still get $1000…and who would say no to an extra $1000.