To Overclock LiteON 48125W to Something better

Hello;

I am new to all this. I bought my liteon 48x12x48 (48125W) because he told me liteon’s were overclockable to 52 and higher. I just found out that mine is not overclockable yet. Is that right? what options are there right now for my type of model.

I am not unhappy with it. My first cdr/cdrw was a 2x, my second was a plextor 12x10x32a and this is my first. Not bad choice since it’s 4 times faster than the plextor and cost me 49.00 bucks compared to the 120 I paid for the plextor back then.

any pointers and tips I will appreciate them. Sorry if my question is and old issue.

Thanks

Gilberto
San Juan, PR

You’re currently stuck at 48x. Which isn’t really bad at all, the only real advantage of the new writers (in my mind) is the 24x rewrite. Read the Big Lite-On FAQ and Overclocking thread for more info.

48125W uses the old 5 series chipset, so you’re stuck w/ 48x. You can either take the 48125W back and demand for an exchange for a 48126S, or swallow the fact that you got suckered. But hey, look at it this way, 52x is only a few seconds faster than the 48x in write, and who uses RW when CDRs are so cheap?

If you are never going to be interested in overclocking, hang on to the 48125W. That model is now obsolete and has most probably reached its ultimate speeds.

With the current 6 chipset, who knows where it will end? It has only recently been released and may even have the potential to increase the RW capability to over 24x. I decided to upgrade from the 48125W for that reason. Then again I would not be looking at the CDFreaks forum if I was not an overclock freak!

then the mofo’s and mwave sold me obsolete hardware.

great.

I will sell it to one of my clients.

thanks for the help

.g.

Originally posted by Stoner

But hey, look at it this way, 52x is only a few seconds faster than the 48x in write

and who uses RW when CDRs are so cheap?

1-2 secs , in fact

who ? lamers :bigsmile:

Actually, my new 52x drive is up to 20 sec faster than my 48x, when I can get some media that will support 52x burning. It starts at 24x, and reaches 40x at about 60%. Most media will balk, (slow down), at about 45x to 48x, so the actual burn times tend to be more like 10 sec. faster than the 48x drive.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

Actually, my new 52x drive is up to 20 sec faster than my 48x

…which in my view means that it takes about 2 mins 10 - 15 secs to burn a 80 min 700 Mb disk , right ?

Okay, let’s see what I got here ->

Nero CD Speed Test results:

Reading

Drive LITE-ON LTR-48125W
Firmware Version VS08
Disc Data CD
Capacity 79:57.74

Transfer Rate

Start 24.14x
End 49.99x
Average 37.68x
Type CAV

[11:33:53] Starting Transfer Rate Test
[11:36:06] Speed:24-50 X CAV (37.68 X average)

Elapsed time : 2:13

Writing

Drive LITE-ON LTR-48125W
Firmware Version VS08
Disc Blank
Capacity 79:59.72

Transfer Rate

Start 22.11x
End 48.61x
Average 36.97x
Type CAV

[22:11:11] Starting Write Transfer Rate Test
[22:13:43] Speed:22-49 X CAV (36.97 X average)

Elapsed time : 2:33

Not bad , huh ?

BoSkin you need to do an actual burn - your figures don’t include lead in and out.

The best ‘real’ burn time I have done for a mixed 700Mb file at 52x, using non 52x certified media is 2:28 mins.

I found the easiest way to ‘compare apples with apples’ is to use the facility built in CDSpeed called Create Data CD.

Originally posted by Jovo

BoSkin you need to do an actual burn - your figures don’t include lead in and out.

The best ‘real’ burn time I have done for a mixed 700Mb file at 52x, using non 52x certified media is 2:28 mins.

I found the easiest way to ‘compare apples with apples’ is to use the facility built in CDSpeed called Create Data CD.

Yes, that’s what I once used -> Disc Data CD Capacity 79:57.74
But I agree with you in general .

Originally posted by rdgrimes

so the actual burn times tend to be more like 10 sec. faster than the 48x drive.

Yes, it’s more likely - 2:32 against 2:42 :slight_smile:
Media : Maxell CD-R 80XL-S ( TY ) 40@48

Here’s 2 burns with the same image file on the same Prodisc media. One onthe 48x drive, one on the 52x drive:

Note the final burn speed indicated.
Now the 52x drive:

Note that the drive had to slow at the end due to the media. I estimate that that added about 10 sec to the total time, which is about the time that the drive remains paused while it’s changing speeds. I have yet to find a media that will actually burn at 52x all the way through the lead-out, but i estimate that if it would, the total time might be around 2:30.
The main reason for the faster times is not the 52x speed, but the fact that it starts faster and reaches 40x at around 56-60%.