To my fellow disgruntled 716 users

vbimport

My first 716UF failed after a few months of operation. After many emails and self-testing, Plextor had me return the drive for replacement. Two weeks later the replacement arrived and I decided to run a self-test just to be sure. To my surprise the drive failed the test.
A call to support has produced another RMA, a real headache. I mentioned to the support tech that I had read on this site the problems with replacement drives. He told me that it is just a bunch of disgruntled people trying to give this drive a bad name, and that it is the best selling most dependable drive on the market.
I am disgruntled I’ll admit, you would think they would at least test a replacement drive before they sent it out.
Oh well, I will hope for the best… 2 non-productive weeks down the road.

Actually I fear I may be with you shortly. My 716a is starting to have problems burning cds. Yesterday I was burning a data cd and had problems with leadin on 3 discs before I got one to burn. Then later I burnt a vcd and when I played it back on my dvd player it hard errors in the last couple clips. This all is really odd to me because Ive never had problems with Plextor drives before. I think the cd laser it going to die soon, which is known to happen to people who burn alot of cds. I just reflashed the firmware and I am going to try a can of compressed air (Maybe the lense is dirty?)

I hope your next drive is better than the last two. I wish they would test all of the drive before they ship them out.

hehehe…maybe they should publish their RMA stats to back that claim up.
That must be why their techs refer their customers to CDFreaks forums for help. :doh:
I hope you get one that works next time.

He told me that it is just a bunch of disgruntled people trying to give this drive a bad name, and that it is the best selling most dependable drive on the market.

Unbelievable!! They have a lot of balls with that statement.:cop: Maybe we are disgruntled but I don’t think the fault is ours. My BenQ’s work great.:stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, if you look on page 14 of “Managing an Evil Corporation”, it clearly states that when dealing with whistleblowers, the first thing to do is to personally discredit and demonize them as “disgruntled”.

Maybe we are disgruntled but I don’t think the fault is ours. My BenQ’s work great.:stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly right … they never look in the mirror to see if there’s a reason for any disgruntlement; it’s always someone else’s fault.

I worked in one product tech support where over 50% of “bad” returns checked out good when tested. You also have to admit that a lot of reported “drive problems” on this forum do turn out to be system, driver, peripheral configuration, or software problems (conflict, versions, etc). Not all problems are drive related, and when a drive is RMA and you still have the SAME problem, chances are it is not the drive hardware. Not excusing Plextor quality control, but some of the “drive problems” are not drive problems at all.

Not all problems are drive related, and when a drive is RMA and you still have the SAME problem, chances are it is not the drive hardware.

bob I do understand what you stated is often the case but if their own self-test shows the drive bad then what can the owner do but send it in. Tech support does not seem to want to take the time to find the problem. They say run test and if it fails send it in. And they should be extra careful to check the replacement drive before sending it out.

That said, I was just surprised at the disgruntled comment when there are obvious problems either with the drive or the drives interface with common hardware and software.

I am not berating Plextor equipment but I do think they could do better with their RMA procedures and support.

Is it possible for anyone here to state the statistics of Plextor drive failures and the breakdown reasons for any the RMA’ed drives? If so, please list the data. Baring any leak of this proprietary Plextor data, for which I am sure they guard against airing in public, all of the accounts and conjectures are based on anecdote and/or assumption, both the the wicked stepsisters of (Cinderella) science.

This forum typically serves three purposes - to inform, to advise, and to complain about Plextor products. Just like newspapers and tv news programs, bad news sells, and bad news captures attention more than good news. I have been a party to all three components that this forum provides.

My own personal ups and downs with Plextor are documented here, and it’s the bad that gets the most attention. Nonetheless, when my 716A was working, it performed admirably and I was content with it. Because Plextor has not been the subject of reportings of worldwide widespread recalls or malfunctioning units, a secret too big for the industry to keep from the public (and us here in the forum), I must assume that either the majority of owners are ignorant and/or satisfied with their 716A. Because I believe that most people can tell the difference between a functional drive and a nonfunctional drive, I would further assume that most people are satisfied with their 716A. Without knowing the actual statistics, and if one is in need to make an assumption, then this assumption is the only rational and logical conclusion until proven incorrect. (Of course, no assumption whatsoever would be the most prudent given the lack of scientific and verifiable data.)

All of my contact with technical support, exclusively by toll-free telephone calls, has been professional and nonconfrontational. This is not to they have had the answer to every question. But, tech support either solved my issue or had me RMA the drive. What more from tech support can you ask for? This does not excuse either a flamed-out tech support for admonishing a customer, nor does it excuse an ignorant customer that will not follow suggestion or procedure. (Being naive is not knowing better due to lack of experience. Being ignorant is knowing better but ignoring what you already learned.)

It is Plextor technical support’s responsibility to ensure all appropriate troubleshooting avenues were tried prior to RMA’ing. This includes handholding a computer-naive customer through the troubleshooting algorithms. Once tech support says to RMA the drive, then it is not the fault of the customer for any “reason” later discovered for returning the drive drive.

Bottom line, it is the customer’s responsibility to provide necessary information, follow technical support’s guidance, and behave in a civilized manner. It is Plextor’s responsibility to deliver a product as stated, provide warranty services as stated, keep it’s customer’s products updated (ie firmware in the case of drives) and informed (when problems arise such as RMA’ing) and behave in a civilized manner.

For the premium expense of their product, Plextor should either have the only product of its kind, be vastly superior to other similar products, or have a goldplated warranty and service operation. I’ll leave that discussion to others for now as I just received my third drive, post-RMA drive #2, by UPS! Time to get busy and have fun again.

Lets see Plextor Premium RMA=0
712SA RMA=3
716SA RMA=3

I’ve already stated my feelings on most of these issues, but to be completely fair:

The Px716 does offer several features that just aren’t found on other manufacturer’s drives. Whether they’re useful or not is up to the beholder.

be vastly superior to other similar products,

That was certainly true when the Px712a was released. The unique features, the writing quality, and the 12x speed (everything else was at 8x) pretty much made it indeed vastly superior.

or have a goldplated warranty and service operation.

In some places & cases that’s also true. The two years’ warranty and paying for shipping in both directions that they offer outside of North America seems gold-plated to me. And it does seem that most of the RMA horror stories come from North America.

I’ll leave that discussion to others for now as I just received my third drive, post-RMA drive #2, by UPS! Time to get busy and have fun again.

I’m not sure I could be that positive, particularly after paying for shipping twice! But thanks for the reminder that these things really are just computer parts. :smiley:

ftp1020:

I agree with all your points. I was only trying to define what a business must provide if they are to charge a premium amount for their product. Plextor does have unique or industry leading functionality with the 716A (at least things they introduced first), they do have quite the history of superior products, but, as a fellow North American, the warranty and the cost to the customer for RMA’ing is substandard as compared to Europe. My experience with technical support has been very satisfactory to date. Your mileage may vary.

My overall goal was to address the original comment by Daviskw of a negative response from technical support, which appears to be, thankfully, a rare occurence from my readings of this forum. I doubt that the tech’s superiors would be pleased with his derogatory comment, especially of a supportive fan base that is this forum. Derisive comments made by employees rarely lead to an improved image or increased sales. Afterall, a happy customer might tell one or two people, but an unhappy customer will tell ten or more people their gripes.