To minimise drive wear due to audio extraction: reduce speed or time?

vbimport

when i Extracts audio CDs by EAC, in Which way the burner less wear out?

1.when i Increase the speed of extrication (by EAC) and thereby reduce the extrication time?

2.when i Reduce the speed of the extrication (by EAC) and thereby increase the extrication time but use
But uses less laser (if any)?

-this is makes any difference at all?

3.there is a recommended extrication speed that CD-R’s seem to perform best?

In my opinion, it would be best to avoid the extremes; don’t rip at the highest speed(s) and don’t rip at the slowest speed(s).

The best performing ripping speed will depend on the drive, but I would suggest something like 24-32x would work well on most desktop drives and perhaps 8-10x on laptop drives.

I let eac find the best speed in secure mode, and simply wait for the rip process to finish.
Also wear level isn’t in my book, unless i had a [B]Yamaha F1[/B] or a [B]Plextor premium (1 or 2 or both)[/B].

I wouldn’t worry about wear level either . Reading a disc uses a lot less laser power than writing.
I do recomend a short break between burns though . I allow 15 minutes myself.
So unless you are reading disc after disc without giving your drive a break I wouldn’t worry about wear.
Like vroom unless you have a hard to find or expensive drive don’t worry about wear from reading anyway. New drives are fairly cheap.

vroom you mean that you choose in: EAC-Drive Options-offset/speed-speed selection-[B]actual[/B]?

I let EAC find the best settings for my drive, it does a pretty good job.
I leave it at [B]current[/B].

[QUOTE=vroom;2594482]I let eac find the best speed in secure mode, and simply wait for the rip process to finish.
Also wear level isn’t in my book, unless i had a [B]Yamaha F1[/B] or a [B]Plextor premium (1 or 2 or both)[/B].[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I too let EAC (secure mode) sort itself out.

I also have a couple of dedicated drives for ripping/reading. Eliminates any possibility of more wear and tear on my chosen burning drives. :wink:

I’ve made several changes in EAC settings. These follow an old guide.
I have the offset at +6 which is correct for my drive.
There is only one speed selection in the pulldown on my OS & it is Actual . Under it I have checked " Allow speed reduction during extraction " .

vroom where[B] current [/B]option is located in EAC?

We are talking about this tab?

Yes!
But in my software , Maybe because my version of EAC is V0.99 prebeta 5 the Option name is actual.
It’s probably the same.

@ vroom , Does the “Speed selection” pulldown have any other options in your EAC version ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2594685]@ vroom , Does the “Speed selection” pulldown have any other options in your EAC version ?[/QUOTE]

yes. 8x/16/24/32x/40x