To many C1 Errors?

Just tested a 10X Memorex CDRW with KProbe in my LiteOn 52246S FW 6S0D.

Results:

C1 - Max=15 Total=6772 Avg=2.334
C2 - Max=0 Total=0 Avg=0.000

This would seem to be alot of C1 errors since the total is 6,772 but I’m reading that since the Max is below 20 this is still a very readable CD?
Can someone please enlighten me a bit more on whether this CD is in good shape or not and why?

I know its time to pitch it when I see any C2 errors but what kind of numbers are Good, Okay and Poor on Max-Total and Avg for C1 errors?

Also tested a Fuji CDR.

Results:

C1 - Max=7 Total=2420 Avg=0.772
C2 - Max=0 Total=0 Avg=0.000

These numbers are much better than the CDRW, is this typical when comparing a CDR to RW?
I know that Fuji is generally better media.

Thanks for all responses.

Avg=2.334 is alot and if it were normal CD-R’s I’d be worried but since this is a CDRW you do not plan on keeping this data for long do you?

How many C1 errors a disc have is less important than what the max value is. If you have a C1-peak of 150, well I think you understand :slight_smile:
I like to think that a avg C1-value <1 is okay, and <0.5 is excellent.

Check this and this thread also.

Nice CD’s:

An average C1 count of 2.334 is NOTHING to be worried about. I’d only worry if you get C2’s, or if C1 Max > 50.

Well it depends on how picky you are :wink:

Originally posted by Airhead But since this is a CDRW you do not plan on keeping this data for long do you?

I use a few CDRW’s to backup data that changes on my system.
The set I have now has probably been quick erased and reburned 20 times I’d guess.
So, yes I will be keeping the data but would probably reburn it every few months to make sure I have the latest version.
Is this a safe enough way to back up this data?

I would like to replace the set I’m using, with Verbatim 700mb 24X CDRW’s but have only been able to find 650’s so far in the US.
I read where these are available elsewhere so I guess they’ll show up eventually.

Help me understand the catagories of C1 errors.

Total - Does this equal the total for the CD?
Max - I assume this is the maximum for a particular area? (Sector?)
Avg - Is this the average over a particular area? ( Sectors divided by the Total?)

Thanks again

Originally posted by offroad
[B]
So, yes I will be keeping the data but would probably reburn it every few months to make sure I have the latest version.
Is this a safe enough way to back up this data?

Yes, your RW will not fade away (unless you use it as a freesbee in sunny weather ;)) that easily, look in the CD-RW thread, there’s discs with avg 600 (!) C1 errors there who still work.

Total - Does this equal the total for the CD?
Max - I assume this is the maximum for a particular area? (Sector?)
Avg - Is this the average over a particular area? ( Sectors divided by the Total?)
[/B]

Yup you got it right.

Only a year or so ago we were routinely seeing C1 rates up to 1000 max in WSES on earlier drives, 200-400 was common on older media burned at 40x.
Total and average counts are only for the purpose of comparisons.