To many burners ... to little time! I need help please!

Hi all,
I am new to your forum, and VERY new to DVD burners.
There is wayyy to much to choose from, and I have finally become over whelmed.
I have narrowed my search to the following burners.
Of those which is recommended, if any?
I have seen reviews and these units all have great reviews. Then after the list I have a few other questions too.

ALL EXTERNAL DRIVES!
Sony DRX-830U External Multi-Format 18x DVD Burner
OR the next model up - Sony DRX-830UL/T Dual Layer DVD±RW Drive.

OR

Lite-On Model LH-20A1HX Lightscribe DVD Burner - 20x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read,
8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 48x32x CD-R/RW, USB 2.0, External, Black

OR

Lite-On Model SHW-160P6SU EZ-DUB DVD Burner - 16x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read,
8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 6x DVD-R DL, 48x24x CD-R/RW, Black, External

OR

Lite-On Model SPD3600CC (BRAND - Phillips)20x Super Multi External DVD/Dual Layer/RAM RW Drive, DVD-RAM/±R/±RW

OR

LG - Model GSA-E10L 2-Tone 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM
48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache USB 2.0 External Super Multi DVD Rewriter with LightScribe

OR

LG Model - GSA-E40L -
Write speed: This drive burns media at fast speeds. 18x writing speed for DVDs, 12x DVD-RAM, and 10x DVD+/-R DL.
Formats supported: This drive supports writing on both +R and -R 8.5GB double layer media as well as DVD-RAM,
CD-R/RW, DVD+/-R and DVD+/-RW. LightScribe, 2MB cache buffer with buffer under-run protection

OR

LG Electronics GSA-5163D External Dual Layer DVD?RW Writer
16x/8x/16x DVD+RW, 16x/6x/16x DVD-RW, 4x DVD+R DL, 40x/24x/40x CD-RW

And what kind of media works best? Do I want + or - R?
and 1 last quick question … what is the best way to convert .WMV to DVD??

Thank you very very much!

Personaly, I’d recomend the Lite-On Model SHW-160P6SU EZ-DUB DVD Burner. It’s based on the Lite-On 160P6S which is a fantastic drive. I’d recomend sticking with Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD+R (T02) Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R (G02) and Verbatim 16X DVD+R (MCC004) medias. These medias overall have proven to work best in the majority of drives too. The Verbatim media can be a little tricky because there’s some batches that are bertter than others, and I haven’t a ton of experiance spotting the good stuff. Where that’s concerned, maybe someone else here can chime in and tell you what to look for.

For your TY (Taiyo Yuden) stuff, there are a few good sites to get them from. www.rima.com is fantastic. I also use the valueline TY media from www.shop4tech.com. If you’re interested in trying the valueline yourself, which I recomend, plese PM me your e-mail address and I’ll give you a referal to the media I’m talking about. I get a credit with them if I do that, so I’d really appriciate it if you were to do that. You get a discount too, so it benifits both of us.

About converting WMV files to DVD, well, I can’t be much help there either.

JD

Hi,

most drives on that list are outdated, so no further firmware support can be expected. That said, I would go with one of the 20x drives since these are the newest ones.

The Sony 830 (or the Samsung SE-S184; same drive, but cheaper) can also be considered, but these drives don’t like DVD-R very much. But they are excellent CD writers :slight_smile:

Michael

ACK! Now I am more confused than before!
Joe_Dirt says one thing, and mciahel says most are out dated.
Going on that premise, WHERE on the web is a good place to possibly purchase a newer model
that will have to proper firmware upgrades and necessary support, and that will be copacetic
will both the +R and -R. I hopefully want to make only 1 purchase of this burner, and do not want
one that craps out 2 days after the warranty is up. And it needs to be $100.00 or less (kinda).

More questions about the media … Is it better to burn at -R or +R, and is there a media that does both?

I am going to look into the Taiyo Yuden (I have NEVER heard of them before now).
I use Verbatim for the CD burning… LOVE them!
LOTS more homework to do!!
TYTYTY!

Here is a list to choose from at a variety of prices.

Newegg.com - External DVD Drives!

Hi,

Joe_Dirt is happy with his drive and recommends it although it is no longer made (but still available in some shops). Indeed, most drives of your list can be considered outdated (the most outdated is the LG5163) since they aren’t produced any more or their successors are hitting the shelves or are announced.

Going on that premise, WHERE on the web is a good place to possibly purchase a newer model
That depends on the country you are living in.

and do not want one that craps out 2 days after the warranty is up.
This can happen with any drive, regardless of the brand it is sold under.

And it needs to be $100.00 or less (kinda).
Apart from Sony who charge a lot of extra $€$€ just for their logo on a drive they bought from other manufacturers, this shouldn’t be a problem (also depends on the country you live.). Here in Germany, the price of a retail external unit is about 60-70 Euro (3 Euro = 4 USD).

If you are patient, then wait a couple of weeks until the new external Samsung 204 is available. One of the best drives at the moment.

More questions about the media … Is it better to burn at -R or +R, and is there a media that does both?
+R and -R are different media. All recent drives support both, but the quality is slightly better with +R on most drives.

Michael

wow Michael!
Awesome info! Thank you big time!
I can hold out for the Samsung 204! Where can I get some info on that model?
Is that all the model number is called, 204 or does it have
a more official type model number?
I would like to see what it is all about.
I have a lot of Samsung electronics in my home, yes they are good!
My HDD’s are getting loaded with the soaps I am recording, so I want to get them
off this machine and onto disk ASAP. But I surely can wait a few weeks :slight_smile:

I am in the US, BTW.
I’m off to find out how to convert wmv to dvd LOL!

Hi,

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I can hold out for the Samsung 204! Where can I get some info on that model?
Is that all the model number is called, 204 or does it have
a more official type model number?
Somewhere I saw a picture from that drive or such.
Samsung’s naming scheme is rather simple:
SH-S202x (x is an additional letter) describes internal P-ATA drives
SH-S203x (x is an additional letter) describes internal S-ATA drives
SE-S204x (x is an additional letter) describes external drives.
All drives share basically the same hardware. And these drives look really impressing.
There is btw also a Sony branded version DRU-840 or so.

I would like to see what it is all about.
See if you can find reviews and opinions about the new 20x drives, there is also our Samsung forum :slight_smile:

I am in the US, BTW.
Then I would check newegg.com once a week. Also our Bargain Basement forum might be interesting for you.

Michael

Well this was a frustrating afternoon :frowning:
I googled the Samsung and the Sony units, and there is
almost nothing anywhere for the new Samsung, and more for the Sony.
I found the Sony unit at Amazon for $109.99.

Just in case, what is a good alternative to the Samsung/Sony?

I also looked on the other sites you posted, and I have a few questions.
Specifically - the media -
When it says things like: (Taiyo Yuden) DVD-R - 16X / Silver Lacquer or 16X / White Inkjet,
or (Verbatim) 16X / Branded, and (Taiyo Yuden) DVD+R - 8X / Silver Lacquer …

silver lacquer, white inkjet branded - what does that mean? I understand the speeds.
And are any of those usable with lightscribe?

1 final question and I am going to call it a day LOL!
I the 1 blurb that I did see about the new Samsung, it has the release date slated for
the end of May, which has come and gone.
Is there any place where I really can get more info about that one?
I tried your forum and I couldn’t find a thing.
What’s to say that it will not be release for another 6 months?
I can not wait that long. A week or 2 maybe. :frowning:

Again, thank you for your knowledge, and I am learning a bunch thanks to all of you!

Yeah! Its the weekend!

Hi,

Such happens sometimes :wink:

I googled the Samsung and the Sony units, and there is
almost nothing anywhere for the new Samsung, and more for the Sony.
I found the Sony unit at Amazon for $109.99.
What Sony? The 830? Same drive under Samsung brand (SE-S184M) from 49,95 USD via Amazon.com. The culprit: Both don’t like DVD-R media.

Just in case, what is a good alternative to the Samsung/Sony?
There isn’t much left. Then get the Liteon or its Philips clone.

I also looked on the other sites you posted, and I have a few questions.
Specifically - the media -

silver lacquer, white inkjet branded - what does that mean?
This is a description of the surface. Inkjet means, you can use an inkjet printer to print a label on them. Of course you need a printer that supports printing on CD/DVD discs.

And are any of those usable with lightscribe?
Only if the discs are described as Lightscribe discs. There are no TY Lightscribe discs available.
Have you had a look at our Blank Media Forum?

1 final question and I am going to call it a day LOL!
I the 1 blurb that I did see about the new Samsung, it has the release date slated for
the end of May, which has come and gone.
Is there any place where I really can get more info about that one?
No idea :frowning:

What’s to say that it will not be release for another 6 months?
This is not impossible. Announcements are marketing driven, not by the engineers :frowning:
So if you can’t wait any longer, then you’ll have to buy something else instead.

Greets,
Michael

Nono, the brand new unit/s Samsung SE-S204x and Sony DRX-840U.
I was trying to get current info on release date, and specs. But the Sony is the only thing avail from Amazon.
Not a peep about the Samsung, except for press release saying the date for sale is the end of May.

Is that strange or normal?? No one is carrying the Samsung … yet.

quick question…
I came across this unit this morning while surfing:
LG GSA-E60L SecurDisc 20x . Do you know anything about this unit? It is new I believe.
I have looked in this forum but there is no review yet.
TY! :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard MistyEyes. :iagree: :clap:
Take a look at the LG GSA-H55LI, which I believe to be the internal version.
[B]See here:[/B]

I see Sony. Who is the actual maker of the LG GSA-E60L SecurDisc 20x?
Is it LG or Sony?

Also, I was just talking to someone in another forum that has an external and he loves it!
And he seems very knowledgeable!
So I might be on to something here …finally! :slight_smile:

LG makes the LG drive :wink:

I’d look into the LG, I have an older LG E10N external and love it.

BTW, I love your sig :bigsmile:

Hi,

There is a mini review about its internal twin, the H55L. There are also some threads about the E60 and the H55 in our LG burners forum.

Well, there are only a few manufacturers left:

[ul][li]Liteon
[/li][li]LG
[/li][li]Samsung
[/li][li]Pioneer[/ul]
[/li]All other manufacturers sell drives from these manufactures under their own brand: Philips, Sony, Benq, to name a few. Even NEC, who formerly built their own drives, now sell rebadged Liteons.

Michael

Hiya Michael!
wow, a whirlwind since we last posted!
I kinda fell into the LG GSA-E60L SecurDisc 20x, and so far I have heard nothing but great things about it!
so… I think I might have found my burner :slight_smile:

I found the other posts already in CDFreaks, and also have posted back and forth in one of them.
I have also seen the sister unit. :slight_smile:

This is a very exciting venture! I am ready!
Thank YOU for your help, and everyone else too!
OH I almost forgot…
What is a good quality inexpensive +R and -R, or re-writeable/s that I can learn on?
I would like to start off with a less expensive disk to start out.

Hi :slight_smile:
The Sony bit from my link is an error. The review is for the LG GSA-H55LI, just scroll down.
I have reported this typo to those concerned.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/LG-GSA-H55LI-Super-Multi-DVD-Rewriter-with-SecurDisc-Technology

Yes, I did find it, thanks!

SecureDisc is an overhyped thing.

As for your preferred burner, read the reviews. :wink: