To Keep Or To Throw? That is the question!

My darn Lite-On LH-20A1H is acting up on me again, and I don’t know if this burn is worth trusting my valuable data with!

This is the fifth burn, which shows signs of write strategy modifications, when compared to my first burn.

SB = OFF <-- Yeah, that’s right!
HT = OFF
OHT = OFF
OS = OFF

Here’s what my first burn of the night looks like, for comparision…

SB = OFF
HT = OFF
OHT = OFF
OS = OFF

…and I just got done scanning my sixth burn, which when compared to my fifth burn, also clearly has issues with my BenQ.

SB = OFF
HT = OFF
OHT = OFF
OS = OFF

So I guess my questions are…

1. Is my BenQ just picky and not liking my Lite-On’s write strategies?

OR

1. Is my BenQ doing a good job of scanning, and there clearly exists a problem when my Litey goes from P-CAV to CLV?

I suppose another question, if you don’t mind me asking, is…

1. How the hell can my Litey’s burns be getting worse (again) – even though ALL options are off, even SmartBurn!?

I’m pretty sure it’s safe to presume that my burns are getting worse, at least from my BenQ’s point of view.

Alright, lemme post this and I’ll go perform a master OPC/Strategy clear via C0deKing’s handy EEPROM utility, even though it technically shouldn’t be needed since even “SmartBurn” is disabled…

(I will almost bet money that my next burn will be beautiful)

We shall see!

Oh, and it’s not a matter of @8X scanning vs. @4X scanning on my BenQ. (My apologies for introducing that variable with the scans I provided)

I just partially scanned discs 5 and 6 @4X (1ECC) – and the result is the same.

Is this one of the units that comes complete with “sound effects”. (ie vibration). I’m suspicious that these will continue to work well over time
(Vibration is incredibly damaging, and when you think about what a DVDWriter is doing, I’m just surprised they get this far…).

I bought one of the cheap 18x ones from SVP and this sounds like an airplane also. My 20x is going on eBay , and I’m RMA’ing the 18x, and I’m back to NEC/OptiArc.

Historically, BenQ burners do not scan LiteOn burns very well…

All MediaTek based LiteOn burners will learn and make strategy changes - even with all the settings off. You have to use CodeGuy’s utility to “Clear Learned Media” between each burn if you don’t want any learning.