To eBay with my Plextor PX-716SA!

vbimport

Well I have tried a and finally given up on making my 716sa work with my computer. The drive diagnostic says that it works fine and when I leave my computer alone it works fine but it there is any other traffic on the SATA bus then I have read and write errors. The drive is fine but there is something wrong with the computer! Well sucks to be me, all that wasted time and now it is time to move on to a BenQ drive.

If you are interested in a perfectly working plextor px-716sa you can find it here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8786241583 and help me pay for a new drive!

I hope the SATA thing works out better for everyone else!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, it’s a shame that other vendors aren’t as ‘forward thinking’ as Plextor. Or maybe they all know about the problems implementing SATA.

I haven’t had any issues with my 716SA, it’s been a very reliable and rugged drive.

Hope the BenQ works for you.

Yeah just got mine about a month ago from newegg (TLA 0308). Just mailed in the rebate a few days ago. I have had no problems with it. I mostly have done dual layer burns with it so far using verbatim MKM-001’s and a few dvd+r mcc004’s, as well as, mcc003’s. What are you specs?

Mine are:
AMD 3200+ Newcastle (754 socket)
K8N Neo Platinum nVIDIA® nForce3 250Gb chipset
Patriot 1gb ddr pc3200 ran at 2.3.2.6
Enermax EG565P-VE FMA 535W Power Supply

Hard Drives:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 200gb x 2 Sata 3Gb/s with NCQ in Raid 0
Seagate Barracuda 120gb ide
WD 160gb Ide

DVD Burners:
Lite-on 1693s
Lg 4167
Plex 716sa (of course)

Thanks for the kind words…

I have to agree, the SATA connections are the way to go! Why don’t all the drive manufacturers use them?

System Specs (if you have any ides please let me know)(The computer has been running stable, except for the plextor, since I built it about two years ago):
My mother board is an Abit IC7-G
Intel 875P chipset with a 478 socket
2gb of ram running at 2.2.2.5
Some high quality 520W power supply (I forget the brand)

2xHitachi 80GB 7200 8MB in raid 1 for the OS
2xHitachi 160GB 7200 8MB in raid 1 for storage (these two are running of a PCI Silicon Image SATA card)
2xWestern Digital 75GB 10,000 raptors in raid 0 for scratch disc

DVD Drives:
Plextor PX-716SA (selling)(attached to a 2nd PCI Silicon Image SATA card)
BenQ 1620 Pro

Did you try attaching the Plextor to the native ICH5 SATA connectors?

I did not since I have my OS setup as a raid 1 on it. Is there a way to work around this?

I’m not sure, but I don’t think you can use the Plextor on the Intel SATA ports if you have RAID mode enabled. In theory it should work on the Silicon Image controller but obviously you’re having problems. What version is the Sil SATA chipset?

I have it running on a 3114 chipset (version 2) with driver version 1.0.0.7

That is exactly how I have my system setup and aside from having to run AnyDVD in ‘safe mode’, there are no compatibility issues. All the drives are on Intel controller as I only have the ICH6R controller in my SFF.

Why don’t you try updating drivers first, 1.4.3.0 dated January 12th 2006, WHQL.

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=28&cid=3&ctid=2&osid=4&

I’ve also got updated SATALink (Base) drivers dated November 28th 2005, version 1.3.9.0

Thanks for the link… there are just so many choices as far as drivers are concerned. Which one do I chose and how do I know it is the right one?

Thanks for your help with this!

I always use the latest drivers, and if your Sil3114 chip is embeded into your motherboard it cannot be flashed or bios updated, only add-in cards.

I also think you need to check your bios settings as this could be the problem, you need to have the Sil3114 enabled in bios and set to “ATA” and not “RAID5”.

the 3114 is an add-on PCI card. I have the b5314 bios installed.