To buy Plextor PX-712A or no

vbimport

I am about to purchase the Plextor PX-712A.Is there anything I should know about it before I go, is there any problems, any firwamre issues. Anything to do with different versions of the drive released. I was thinking of a Pioneer 108, but my 107 caused some problems, trying to rma.
Thanks

Mine’s wonderful … but you shouldn’t take just my word for it.

You do know that the 108 is a Dual Layer, 16x burner and that the Plextor PX712a isn’t, don’t you?

Ftp1020 brings up a good point, elec999. If I were buying a DVD-burner right now I would seriously take into account dual-layer capability. They’re are many cheap 16x burners on the market right now with dual layer capability, the NEC3500 and Benq1620 come to mind. As you mentioned, there is also the Pioneer, LiteOn, LG, Sony, etc. And of course, if Plextor quality is what you want, there is the PX-716A which will be a winner in about a month or two.

The PX-712A is an outstanding burner, but it’s lack of double-layer capability doesn’t make it very future proof.

for more 5 € you can buy a px -716a (at least where i live)

I know about dual layer bunrers vs single layer. But the pricing on cheap dvdr burners from Benq, Aopen, Lg, and others. Makes me wonder whats the quality like.I have tested my Pioneer 107 and never really got any good quality dvd data burners. The buners maybe have been damaged but no way to tell.
Heres the links for Plextor I am hoping to buy
http://www.logiccomputerhouse.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=227
Looks like the Plextor 16x burner is about $100 more. And very hard to find it. Even the 12x is hard to find. I am having a hard time finding even single layer dvds that burn well.I have no idea when dual layer will become affordable and reallible, I am seeing people having their dvd media not working anymore, after a few months after burn. By the time dual layers dvd media becomes largely available, I think I will be able to afford a new 16x burner from Plextor, or even a 24x if Plextor evers makes one.
One thing I am seeing is that Plextor are no longer made in Japan, now made in China, does this make any affects on its quality.
Also I dont think that Plextors sells oem drives, if so, should I choose oem over Retail, I know its no big difference, but I wonder. Also lets say I save up for a few weeks and get a Plextor 16x will I get good quality, seems like there are complains due to firmware. If I get it, and used 8x media or 4x media, dont try anything like burning at 16x on 8x media, should I be fine.
I used to own a Plextor cdrw 8x burner and loved.
Thanks

Check this link out instead, elec999

It’s the PX-716A for only $3 more than your price on your PX-712A. Plus, I guarantee the shipping fees are cheaper. (Though if you life in Canada, it’s not going to work. You might try bestbuy.com)

• IMBAD

If you go to the Plextor (Canada) Shop
http://www.plextorshopcanada.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=3
you’ll see the 716 is only about $30 more than the 712. And not all that hard to find. :wink:

I am seeing people having their dvd media not working anymore, after a few months after burn.

Maybe with the cheaper media, but I’ve not had those sorts of problems, at least not yet.

One thing I am seeing is that Plextor are no longer made in Japan, now made in China, does this make any affects on its quality.

No reason why it should … Japanese companies are well-known for insisting on their own Quality Control methods regardless of where the product is manufactured.

Also I dont think that Plextors sells oem drives, if so, should I choose oem over Retail, I know its no big difference, but I wonder.

They do sell OEM units, but usually only to big PC manufacturers like Dell. You’re unlikely to see one in a store.

Also lets say I save up for a few weeks and get a Plextor 16x will I get good quality, seems like there are complains due to firmware. If I get it, and used 8x media or 4x media, dont try anything like burning at 16x on 8x media, should I be fine.
I used to own a Plextor cdrw 8x burner and loved.
Thanks

The only problems mentioned in CDFreaks forums seem to all be centred around 16x burning, and that seems to be clearing up with the TLA/firmware re-releases. 4/8/12x burning seems just as good as on the PX712a.

If it’s a recommendation you’re after, I’d say the extra (C$30 or less) for the PX716a is probably worth it, if you’re determined to get Plextor.

It all depends what you are looking for in a DVD burner. Both the NEC and BenQ models write at 16x to DVD media very nicely, but both are a little slow at reading and writing CD media. The Plextors come with unique software and capabilities (and great warranty support), where the BenQ’s and NECs rely on external software/firmware updates. If DVD-RAM is important, then LG becomes a candidate.

BTW, if it’s going to be your only burner, I’d say don’t get the NEC - it can’t PIPO scan.

Thanks for the info
I guess ill get the Plextor 16x burner the price is not so bad.
When firmware updates are released this burner should be perfect.

I am seeing people talk anout TLA 0001 and 0002 about the Plextor 16x burner. Is there anything I should watch out for.
Thanks

"Q What is TLA# and how do I know what TLA# my Plextors are?

A The TLA# stands for the hardware revision and installed firmware version. There are some differences between the various TLA#'s. You can find the TLA# on the unit itself and on the package you got it in. petspeed: Plextor uses the first two digits in the TLA# for the hardware revision and the last two digits for the shipped firmware version. So the only difference between TLA#0000 and TLA#0002 is the shipped firmware which you can easily update yourself if you’ve got a TLA#0000 (source). "
From the Plextor Faq, so If I got a Tla 1 I could easily update the firmware.
Am I correct. Or Tla 2 has complete advantages.
Thanks

You can always update your firmware regardless of which TLA you have. The TLA is just an indication of the hardware revision and installed firmware version.

How fast is the 712 at dvd ripping?

The best my NEC 3500 can do is 7x max. A DL pressed disc takes ~ 18.30 mins.

Plextor PX-712A DVD±RW - Read Tests. That should answer your question :wink:

Thanks for the link, G@M3FR3@K.

The 712 is ~£25.00 cheaper than the 716. I am not bothered about the 712 being slower, as I have an NEC 3500.