TMT 5 compatibility in Windows 10

vbimport

I have been using Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater for some time now for playing both DVD’s and Blu-ray on my computer. I’ve always been impressed with the smoothness of the playback compared to many other media players, but my favorite version of the program is TMT5 (v5.0.1.87), before they added Cinavia in the last versions of the fifth series.

Unfortunately, TMT5 is getting obsolete and will no longer play some Blu-rays by itself. I have to use AnyDVD HD in the background on some of the newest releases, and though this has only happened a couple of times, it will only get worse in the future.

A more pressing problem came through the latest upgrades from Microsoft. Update 1511(10586.63) completely hosed TMT5 so that it would not work with Blu-ray at all, and crashed my computer. All other types of files and DVD-video worked ok. But I found a solution. Going through the error logs for TMT5, I found that the section causing problems was a file called VideoRenderForEvr.ax. TMT6 also has this file, but in an updated form. I have TMT6, which I only use for testing for Cinavia, and it still works well for playing Blu-ray. So I replaced the problem version in TMT5 with the one from TMT6.

I’m certain that I have already done this once, when looking for a compatibility fix going from Windows 7 to Windows 8. But something in the Windows 10 update process broke TMT5 once more, so I had to uninstall and reinstall it, then apply this replacement file fix once more.

This is a lot of trouble to keep one of my favorite players intact, but so far it is working ok. So, this post is just a bit of info for anyone looking for the way to keep the older version up and running. PM me if you need any more info.

Hi Kerry
I am pretty sure I have 5.3.1.172 installer, and it works with Blurays but I do not using it that much. I use PowertoDVDUltra 10 and I also have V15 but 10 is better LOL.

Thought I’d better amend this thread. There is great suspicion that the driver installed by TMT is NOT compatible with Windows 10 and eventually will cause BSOD’s and system corruption.

Best not to install it at all In Windows 10 it seems, which is a great pity, since TMT was easily the best Blu-ray player I ever used.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2767972]Thought I’d better amend this thread. There is great suspicion that the driver installed by TMT is NOT compatible with Windows 10 and eventually will cause BSOD’s and system corruption.

Best not to install it at all In Windows 10 it seems, which is a great pity, since TMT was easily the best Blu-ray player I ever used.[/QUOTE] I am not using it, even though when I upgraded to Windows 10 it got transferred like the rest of the programs

[QUOTE=alan1476;2768033]I am not using it, even though when I upgraded to Windows 10 it got transferred like the rest of the programs[/QUOTE]

Ar you telling me it is installed on your machine? Transferred during upgrade?

IF that is the case, and IF the driver loads at startup. I can not help but thinking that Kerry would die to analyze your configuration and maybe lift your installation off the drive in a complete state?
He seems to love it, and if the above is true, your computer may hold a key to portability to Windows 10… Not applicable at the moment, but in time that question is bound to rise again as I am sure there are many out there interested in reviving it, discontinued and all :flower:

I have two images of Windows 10 with both TMT 5 and TMT 6 installed. One is from August, very soon after I had installed Windows 10 as an upgrade from 8.1. The other is from October. Neither show any signs of problems running in my machine.

Its only after the kernel update in November, the 1511 upgrade, that things went to hell in a handbasket. Alan may not have run the program in the meantime, but I used it virtually every day, with the system getting progressively unstable over the course of a month or so.

Then you’re pretty much self-supported. I do rescue old programs and games from time to time when the installer is lost or missing and since I do not fancy installers on a general level, I have some experience getting it all off a drive without missing anything. It is a question of hunting for references in offline registries, user folders, installation logs, dependencies in various executables… or iow mostly tedious work.

By the time you’re down to a script and an archive, you are also in the know-how as to what exact changes the program does, and from that point, you can focus on swapping dll dependencies, writing manifests and other resource files to make it work even in the next OS. :flower:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2768035]Ar you telling me it is installed on your machine? Transferred during upgrade?

IF that is the case, and IF the driver loads at startup. I can not help but thinking that Kerry would die to analyze your configuration and maybe lift your installation off the drive in a complete state?
He seems to love it, and if the above is true, your computer may hold a key to portability to Windows 10… Not applicable at the moment, but in time that question is bound to rise again as I am sure there are many out there interested in reviving it, discontinued and all :flower:[/QUOTE] Yes I transferred TMT 5 with the upgrade to Windows 10 64bit. It works fine, I just started it to see if it would start at first but now after this thread it plays all my blurays just fine, no crashes or blue screens. I also have PowertoDVD14 on this machine and I prefer that or VLC. and of course Kerry is welcome to a complete analyzed copy of my system if he wants it.:wink: