Tmpgenc making avi's poor quality!

vbimport

i am trying to convert an avi file to an mpeg with tmpgenc. all is well so far, but the end result mpeg is smaller and the quality is not as great as the original avi. how do i get them to be the exact same quality?

Well, it’s impossible to get them the exact same qualty, but they can be pretty close.

If you are using the (S)VCD setting, this may be the culprit. They have a forced bitrate (of 1.5 Mbit’s I believe, but I’m not sure). Any more info you have on your settings would be of great help.

i have not touched the settings at all. i just loaded the file as VCD(PAL) and then loaded the video avi file. at the bottom it does say the following-- MPEG-1 352x240 29.97fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 192kpbs. are these the settings you are talking about, or are you looking for others?

my original wide avi is a widescreen dvd rip, but the tmpgenc will get rid of the wide screen aspect and make the picture quite a bit more grainy.

are these the settings you are talking about, or are you looking for others?

Yes. Try changing the bitrate (found in the window opened by pressing the Setting Button) to something higher (Bear in mind that this makes it a no go for VCD (unless you decrease the audio bitrate by the amount you increase the video bitrate)).

my original wide avi is a widescreen dvd rip, but the tmpgenc will get rid of the wide screen aspect and make the picture quite a bit more grainy.

You can also select the aspect ratio in this dialog box.