TMPGenc Express problem

vbimport

Hate to post another question so soon after my first, but here goes. I have been using the software for awhile with no problems, until I tried to convert an MP4 (h.264) file. Audio is fine, but there is no video at all. Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Glenn

[QUOTE=moviemaven;2104395]Hate to post another question so soon after my first, but here goes. I have been using the software for awhile with no problems, until I tried to convert an MP4 (h.264) file. Audio is fine, but there is no video at all. Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Glenn[/QUOTE]

And where did that H.264 file come from…?

[QUOTE=chef;2104513]And where did that H.264 file come from…?[/QUOTE]

From a TV recording. A friend put a few together on a data DVD for me, and that is his chosen format. I could play them as is, but I prefer mine on individual discs.

Before you can convert a file, you need to know what the current audio and video formats are.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2104653]Before you can convert a file, you need to know what the current audio and video formats are.[/QUOTE]

I do not undestand. I load the MP4 in, the program accepts it, even lets me process it, but no video. What formats do you mean?? From the MP4 file??

Thanks for replying

I generally use MediaInfo to find out the exact audio and video codecs used in a particular video. http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
Gspot is another good program for this.

Are you sure this program can accept mp4 using h264 as an input? I didn’t find it on the list of accepted formats at their website, not as an input file at least. http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html#tabs

To import such a file to ProCoder, I’d use a simple AviSynth script, but I don’t see .avs files included in that input list either.

The video codec is avc1, the audio is 40, AAC.

I would not expect a program to allow you to load a file that it could not handle.

thanks for the reply

Glenn

Express has very limited support for HD formats, and no support for higher than 720x480, AFAIK. In any case, it will not input AVC.

[QUOTE=CDan;2104844]Express has very limited support for HD formats, and no support for higher than 720x480, AFAIK. In any case, it will not input AVC.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, but again I ask, why no error message, or refusal to load?? I was quite pissed after processing for over an hour to find no video!

Oh well, will have to find another option.

[QUOTE=moviemaven;2104911]Thanks for the info, but again I ask, why no error message, or refusal to load?? I was quite pissed after processing for over an hour to find no video!

Oh well, will have to find another option.[/QUOTE]

Ask the coders of the tool, from where should we know HOW the tool handles such stuff???

[QUOTE=chef;2105046]Ask the coders of the tool, from where should we know HOW the tool handles such stuff???[/QUOTE]

MP4 is listed in the “all supported file type” in the Quick Time line, so obviously it is supposed to work. However, when you check the video properties after loading it, is says there is only ONE frame!

More interesting- I renamed the file with an mpg extension, and it appears to work! Will need more time to see if the whole process is effective.

Well, the movie was processed, but the output was not too good, had lost of vertical white lines visible when viewed full-screen.